Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2015 10:30:12 AM EDT
Is this a pipe dream? I'd like to pocket carry a 357. Can it be done without printing too much?

Edit: I am specifically talking about a wheel gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry my  scandium j frame 340 in my back pocket frequently.Word to the wise, full power 125 gr corbon 357 magnums, out of a 12 oz revolver, is..... exciting!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If forced to pocket carry a 357, I would cheat.

The SIG P239 is a nice 357, giving you 357 ballistics, (as long as you don't want heavy bullets), in a compact package.

Now, the .357 Magnum revolvers, I do believe belong in K, L, and N frames.  

When much younger, I owned a Ruger SP101.  I could shoot it pretty well, if I actually practiced semi-weekly.

The lighter .357 Magnum revolvers which have been introduced since that timer?  No way.  

I hurt my hand about 15 years ago, so you can factor that into my distaste of hard kicking pistols.  You young guys may be able to handle them, but eventually, you will end up like me.  Old, and not wanting to shoot anything that kicks very much.

To be fair, I can handle .45 ACP just fine, even in a New Agent.  .357 Magnum is just fine in actual service pistols.  I can even get through a cylinder of .44 Magnums out of my M29.

It is sort of like eating hot peppers or drinking IPAs.  I know my my limits.  (Though, I haven't hit that wall with IPAs!).

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe a old COP 357.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
My Ruger LCR .38 SPL is enough fun for me.

They make one in .357 Mag.  No way I'd want to shoot that thing on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry my  scandium j frame 340 in my back pocket frequently.Word to the wise, full power 125 gr corbon 357 magnums, out of a 12 oz revolver, is..... exciting!!
View Quote

340PD is exactly what I'm looking for.
But jesus the price hurts.

Anything in that flavor but closer to five bills?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

See my post above.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Smith 649 or Ruger SP101 spur less hammer
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The airweight smiths are nice. +p rated too...

I was tempted to fo to replace my old stainless 642 but ended up landing a G27 instead.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Can you still shoot 38 special out of the Ruger as well?
I think we might have found a winner.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Those are great guns however they are painful to shoot...to me anyhow. For carry only, it's great. To shoot for fun, keep looking. A new SP is around $500 and handles 357 easily compared to a light weight revolver.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I pocket carry my LCR in 38 almost every day without any issues. I still carry my VP9 most days, but the LCR is always present either in my front pants pocket or a jacket pocket if it's really cold.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Pocket carry an SP101 in .357 all the time.  Keep is loaded with .38 special +P, but have carried it from time to time with mag rounds.

Had an LCR in .357 that my wife has claimed now, she keeps it loaded with 38 special now and pocket/purse carries it a lot.

The SP101 is manageable to shoot with .357, if the shooter does their part.  The LCR.....a bit more of a challenge in .357.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Look used for an M&P 340 or PD on Gunbroker.  I got mine LNIB for $500.  

Well worth it.  Trust me used one aren't "used"

Don't rule out a 360 either.  Just has the exposed hammer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Look used for an M&P 340 or PD on Gunbroker.  I got mine LNIB for $500.  

Well worth it.  Trust me used one aren't "used"

Don't rule out a 360 either.  Just has the exposed hammer.
View Quote

Damn that's a steal.
I'll definitely keep an eye out.
I decided on the 340.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, 38s aren't an issue at all.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry a Smith 442 Pro in my front pocket when home loaded with +Ps.

CD
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I carry the LCR every once in awhile but shooting maginum through it hurts the hand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I just purchase a S&W Model 60-14 in 357 Mag with 2.125" barrel.  Haven't shot in .357 but the .38 Special +P felt like it was plenty enough.  I picked it for just over $600.  May be a little heavy because all SS, but I like it.  And I agree, I wanted a 360PD  but I could bear the price tag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:18:21 AM EDT
[#21]
S&W M60. 1 7/8".  SS
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s40.photobucket.com/user/mclark202/media/Guns/DSCN0593.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/mclark202/Guns/DSCN0593.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thoughts on the Airlite 340?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 342PD... A slightly lighter 38 special only version of the 340PD.

Recoil is BRUTAL.

Pocket carrying a Kahr PM9 is 100x easier due to it's compact size and slim profile.

J frame grip sticks out of the pocket on every pair of pants I know. When sitting the cylinder bulge stretches the pant material around my leg making my pants feel constricted.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Consider this
357 is a hefty round but it is still a pistol round and one shouldn't expect one shot to get the job done.

I expect that if the need ever comes up I will need to get multiple shots off and my odds go up if I can get them off in a short time and still get good hits.

Comfort and pain aside my testing has shown I can not get decent hits in any reasonable time frame with the 357 in a light gun.
With 38sp my speed and accuracy gets way better than I can get with the 357. There are likely folks out there who can put the 357 to use
but I believe many folks have not tested or trained with the 357 against the 38 to find out what they are most effective with

With a brick like the Ruger sp101 or a 2 1/2" 686 the 357 becomes useful but I don't consider either of them to be pocket guns
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Consider this

357 is a hefty round but it is still a pistol round and one shouldn't expect one shot to get the job done.

I expect that if the need ever comes up I will need to get multiple shots off and my odds go up if I can get them off in a short time and still get good hits.

Comfort and pain aside my testing has shown I can not get decent hits in any reasonable time frame with the 357 in a light gun.

With 38sp my speed and accuracy gets way better than I can get with the 357. There are likely folks out there who can put the 357 to use

but I believe many folks have not tested or trained with the 357 against the 38 to find out what they are most effective with

With a brick like the Ruger sp101 or a 2 1/2" 686 the 357 becomes useful but I don't consider either of them to be pocket guns
View Quote

Excellent points, and one of the reasons I put my LCR in the safe and bought a Sig P938.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL, I think I've found an ignore list I'm on.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh crap, I completely overlooked your post, sorry.
I glance at the thread at work when I get a chance.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Consider this

Excellent points, and one of the reasons I put my LCR in the safe and bought a Sig P938.

P938 is an outstanding gun.

I've wanted a wheel gun for a while.
Specifically snub nose I could throw into my cargo pants pocket quickly while walking my dog, and not have to worry about holstering it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Consider this

View Quote

Valid points.
I was more looking for a nice 357 wheel gun to be able to throw in my pocket and carry while walking my dog.
More so to use point blank if an animal tries to attack her while walking.
(We've had too many close calls with roaming pit bulls and one aggressive raccoon)
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for the sp101. It's something like 7 ounces heavier than the LCR and about identical dimension. However it will last longer and shoot better than the lcr due to all steel construction.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Specifically snub nose I could throw into my cargo pants pocket quickly while walking my dog, and not have to worry about holstering it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Consider this

AND....

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Valid points.
I was more looking for a nice 357 wheel gun to be able to throw in my pocket and carry while walking my dog.
(We've had too many close calls with roaming pit bulls and one aggressive raccoon)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Consider this

Valid points.

My honest recommendation would be a 38 LCR and the 135 gr Gold Dot short barrel load. 357 out of the small snubs is not something I'd ever want to fire, I'd probably use the revolver as a blunt impact weapon before I shot 357s out of it. The 135 Gold Dot short barrel load is a very good performer even out of snubbies.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I just bought an M&P 340. This gun is great and very accurate. .38 and .38 + P, are no problem .357 gets interesting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My honest recommendation would be a 38 LCR and the 135 gr Gold Dot short barrel load. 357 out of the small snubs is not something I'd ever want to fire, I'd probably use the revolver as a blunt impact weapon before I shot 357s out of it. The 135 Gold Dot short barrel load is a very good performer even out of snubbies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Consider this

Valid points.

I want to have the ability to run both 357 and 38.
I'll probably carry 38, but it would be nice to shoot 357 once in a while.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I pocket carried a Ruger LCR 357. It works. Sucks to shoot with 357 loads.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a used PD 360 for $450 -
Might pick up a 340 for my father, going to let him shoot my 360 and see what he thinks first.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bought a used PD 360 for $450 -
Might pick up a 340 for my father, going to let him shoot my 360 and see what he thinks first.
View Quote

Just came back from the range with my PD 360.
I definitely need to work on my grip on the revolver.
The release bites into the first knuckle of my right thumb when firing, chewed it up pretty good.
Aside from that the 38 specials and 357 mags felt alright. No wrist pain.
Obviously the 357 kicks quite a bit more.
Really fun to shoot through, and remarkable accurate for such a small gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I like my LCR-357 (it's really not THAT bad to shoot full house loads out of--the polymer of the frame absorbs more recoil than the lightweight S&W snubbies), but it's too big for my pocket. YMMV

I do like it's versatility (.38 or .357), though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like my LCR-357 (it's really not THAT bad to shoot full house loads out of--the polymer of the frame absorbs more recoil than the lightweight S&W snubbies), but it's too big for my pocket. YMMV

I do like it's versatility (.38 or .357), though.
View Quote

My 360 fits perfect in my cargo short pockets.
357 wasn't bad at all, just my poor grip and the release bite got me good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#39]
As others have said, plenty of guns will let you do this.  

Makes more sense just stick with a gun you can shoot well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As others have said, plenty of guns will let you do this.  

Makes more sense just stick with a gun you can shoot well.
View Quote

I was surprised by the accuracy of those tiny little guy.
Most of the time I'll be still carrying my G19, but when I walk my dog and don't feel like wearing a belt it's nice being able to throw the 360 in my pocket.
I'm happy with it, now looking for a 340 for my father.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I've  got a 357 LCR
It's a  great gun for the pocket
It's not that bad to shoot magnum loads, the Hogue rubber grip tames it to a pussy cat
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#42]
This with Corbon 125gr DPX is the answer to the OP's question.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I started the paperwork on my M&P340 yesterday.  Being in California its going to be until after Easter before I can pick it up due to the wait period.

I hope this to be my "last" J-Frame purchase.  I already have a 642 and wanted something w/o the lock and liked the .357 capabilities and front sight on the 340.  I have no idea what to expect when firing .357 loads.  The 642 with 125 gr +P can be a handful.  I plan to at least try out the 340 with the Remington Golden Saber 125gr mid-range loads.

I already have a Ruger SP101.  It was one of my first handgun purchases back in the day and I've fired many hundreds of rounds thru it.  For awhile I had it listed on my CCW permit.  I would not consider it a "pocket" gun.  It needs to be carried on a belt, either IWB or OWB.  I found I could carry a P239 just as easy, and it replaced the SP101 in my carry rotation.  With the SP101, the Golden Sabers were cream puffs.  

So, years later I'm getting the 340 in hopes it will make a great "pocket" gun.  I've found there are times when it is just easier to slip a light weight J-frame into a pocket and go about my business near home.  I've had no issues with the 642 printing, and don't see the 340 being any different.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I started the paperwork on my M&P340 yesterday.  Being in California its going to be until after Easter before I can pick it up due to the wait period.

I hope this to be my "last" J-Frame purchase.  I already have a 642 and wanted something w/o the lock and liked the .357 capabilities and front sight on the 340.  I have no idea what to expect when firing .357 loads.  The 642 with 125 gr +P can be a handful.  I plan to at least try out the 340 with the Remington Golden Saber 125gr mid-range loads.

I already have a Ruger SP101.  It was one of my first handgun purchases back in the day and I've fired many hundreds of rounds thru it.  For awhile I had it listed on my CCW permit.  I would not consider it a "pocket" gun.  It needs to be carried on a belt, either IWB or OWB.  I found I could carry a P239 just as easy, and it replaced the SP101 in my carry rotation.  With the SP101, the Golden Sabers were cream puffs.  

So, years later I'm getting the 340 in hopes it will make a great "pocket" gun.  I've found there are times when it is just easier to slip a light weight J-frame into a pocket and go about my business near home.  I've had no issues with the 642 printing, and don't see the 340 being any different.
View Quote

I'm extremely happy with my 360. It's nice being able to throw on some basketball shorts or sports pants and carrying it in my pocket with a pocket holster
Doesn't print at all. Fits snug.
It's 100% filling the purpose I got it for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I prefer the Model 60 to the SP101.  It's 3 oz lighter which is no big deal, but it's also 3/4" shorter which does make a difference in comfortable carry.

Either way, shooting .357 Mag in one is a bit fierce and most shooters will be much better served with .38 +P ammo.

Any small frame revolver requires a fair amount of practice to become good with it, so if you're going to carry one, you have to commit to shooting it a fair amount and on a regular basis.   You're not likely to do that shooting .357 Mag  in one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I have always fancied the M&P 340...I just have not got around to paying the $$$ for one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Been pocket carrying the Ruger for a while now. Recent events have prompted me purchase a shield. Pretty much the same size, but the Ruger draws from the pocket better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I have the M&P 340.  38 +P is what I typically carry in it.  I leave the full power .357's for "friends" to try at the range .  It is quite amusing to see others reactions, as the gun is quite a handful when loaded with hot .357's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#49]
The S&W 340 is probably the ultimate pocket rocket, and they are back in the production cycle. All the distributors seem to have them in stock right now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm constantly pocket carrying my j frame. Yes, it's doable, buy thicker non-spandex jeans, and you'll be fine.
501 shrink to fit master race
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top