Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 10:15:31 PM EDT
Well, do you? what issues do you find with it? Is it as easy to conceal as a regular pistol of the same kind? What benefits have you seen from it? I'm just curious to see what everyone's opinion is on this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My only RMR piston is a FN Tactical, so it's not much of a carry gun if you want to hide it.

As for the RMR - for me, they shine at the range.

Just fooling around at home with the sight and drawing down on the TV, clock, etc, I don't notice the benefit, and if anything, it takes a bit longer to line up the dot than with irons.  

But once you're shooting, just like a red dot on a rifle vs. irons, it's so much eaiser to use.  You can keep both eyes open, which is hard for me as I'm not that right eye dominat so with irons I get a double vision view of the target (down the sights/not down the sights).

The dot is more precise, and easier to focus on with older eyes.

On a Glock or something smaller than my mini-Mark 23 style, FN, I'd think the RMR or similar would not add that much more size, and would really help your aim.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The only real issue IMO is you must spend time drawing and acquiring sight picture (can be practiced dry) and reacquiring sight picture under recoil (range time). When I got proficient at these things my confidence increased tremendously.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]

I will have one.

I did just order a el cheapo to put on my SIRT to practice with for when the real thing can be gotten.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry my RMR'd 19 alot because of it's size.

Doesn't change anything regarding conceal-ability, but does nothing regarding using it in a self defense situation. If you're at a distance where you can get sight picture/sight alignment you shouldn't be shooting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a RMR'ed G17 in a Raven Phantom that I did a little Dremel work to. Carries just as well as a normal G17.  The red dot is faster and more accurate at longer distances, but takes some training to be as fast as irons up close.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes I do.  G23 with Unity ATOM and RM06.  Had a custom IWB holster made that works great.  www.rmholsters.com Low Rider

Conceals as easily as my non RMR equipped versions.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Another thing I forgot to mention in my post earlier - one think I REALLY like about the RMR for self defense type use is that you can focus completely on the target.  You don't have to shift focus to the sights or try to maintain a "balanced" focus between the two because just like with a rifle the dot is always in focus.  Under stress I tend to stay "target focused" (term borrowed from Frank Proctor).  In a self defense situation I'm sure I'd be even more likely to stay focused on the target because the target is probably going to be fighting back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top