Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 8:45:36 PM EDT
just installed a tecnaclip on my ruger lcp, going to clip it to shorts while running, i dont think i will carry with one in the chamber due to no holster or cover over trigger guard, any advice? anybody here carry while running opinions?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry an HK USPC .45, round chambered, in an old double water bottle carrier I got running the Pike's Peak marathon. On the left side (I'm left handed), butt facing outboard. However, my property is in the middle of the National Forest, and I only run trails. I would be more circumspect in suburban America.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a bellyband for this reason. It's much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a hybrid OWB holster with zero cant and this square buckle belt.  I have my CCW ID, a knife and flash light clipped to the belt as well.

No flopping.  No sagging.  Easy re-holstering.  Never comes loose.

I run in the local Turkey Trot 5K run each year with this holster / belt combo and a M&P 9c loaded with a 17 round mag + X-Grip.

I'm wearing regular shorts / sweat pants and either a loose shirt or a hoodie if it is cold while running.

There are LEO at random locations around the course.

No one knows.  Ever.

I'm not just trotting through the course either.  While not my fastest time with this rig, I did just fine with an average of 8 : 47 / mile considering hardly any cardio in the past 6 months.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I run in some lightweight REI shorts with my gun belt through the belt loops.  I open carry a small .38 at 3-o-clock.  Not an option there in FL but you asked.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I did this before I destroyed my knees running.  I tired all kinds of holsters and different options bellyband was by FAR the best option for comfort and retention.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did this before I destroyed my knees running.  I tired all kinds of holsters and different options bellyband was by FAR the best option for comfort and retention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if you're being serious about running at all and need to carry then bellyband's the best way to go. You get to wear all of your std workout gear without compromise.

I spent a year training for a Tough Mudder and the Spartan Beast and wore it all the time. Spent a lot of time running through the city or hiking mountains before the sun came up, so I carried everything from a little Kahr CM9, to full size Glock 9 and 10mm's.
Running, jumping, flipping tires, climbing ropes, etc.

Some of them even have a retention strap which is nice.
Had my CM9 under a t-shirt for a 24min 5K during the summer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Forget about CCW whilst running.

I am working on my ability to outrun any aggressor.  This is the best plan.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
What about one ofthese .
I saw one posted from the last guy who asked this same question. If I ran I would probably get one of these.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
PT One holster is my pick for a CCW while running. It works for me and the wife. http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-one-concealment-holster/
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#10]
My first move was to switch to a smaller gun, my EDC is a G19 and for running I purchased a PM9. I tried a few different holsters including the belly band before ending up with the smart carry.

I moved away from the Desantis Bellyband because:
1) Not comfortable - It rubbed me raw even with a shirt underneath. Also had to be worn very tight.
2) Retention wasn't great - The optional velcro strap made for amazing retention, but I didn't like the strap for draw purposes. and retention sucked without it
3) Sweat - After one pretty good mountain bike ride I came home and put the holstered (bellybanded) gun away and shortly thereafter noticed rust beginning to build upon the slide and rear sight

What I like about the Crossbreed:
1) Incredible concealment - I have run with gym shorts and no shirt, and it was still comfortable
2) Quick draw - Almost as fast as my IWB/G19
3) Sweat - Haven't had any of the above issues noted with the bellyband
4) Retention - Never had an issue while running, biking, or climbing, but I have lost it during a workout (luckily at home) A tucked in shirt will help with this. I think the ultimate concealment holster would be some sort of formed kydex insert to hold the gun in the pocket
5) More space - I carry a 7rd mag in the opposite pocket and since I opted for the valuables model or w.e they call it I can easily throw my CCW card in the holster as well.

I've ran, mountain biked, bouldered, rock climbed, skiied, and even mountain climbed up to about 15,000 with the the smart carry
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I wore out two smartcarry's before moving over to a customized 3Speed holster.

The 3Speed is made with much better materials.

I had the owner cut all his extra stuff away to make it more like the smartcarry.

It really turned out nice and as an added bonus, this single holster works well for my M&P compact, Sheild, and Airweight.

The pistolwear holster covers the entire gun so drawing is no where as quick because you have to fish your fingers between the two pieces of material in order to get a hand on the gun.
Not something I would easily be able to do under stress.
I have one in a left handed version if anyone is interested in buying it. It's brand new and sitting in a box.

My hybrid kydex/leather OWB with the loopbelt performs better that the smartcarry and belly band styles.
I did wear out the velcro on two belly bands.

The ability to re-holster easily helps with practice sessions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for all the advice yall
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Used to run in far away distant places with either a 1911 or Beretta M9, spare mags in a fanny pack bouncing all over the place.  Dealt with it as I need to be armed in those locations.  Ever see a African lion when running?  Now when I'm home I still run armed but use my old Bianchi belly band with a Smith 442 inside under the t shirt and a Spydeco clipped inside the shorts.

CD
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Running is about the only time I'm not armed. I'm seriously thinking about getting the chest carrier from Hill People Gear since running with stuff on my waist just doesn't work for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wore out two smartcarry's before moving over to a customized 3Speed holster.

The 3Speed is made with much better materials.

I had the owner cut all his extra stuff away to make it more like the smartcarry.
View Quote

Have any pics? I tried the 3speed holster and disliked the bulk/stiffness. A few practice draws cheesegraded my thumb pretty well too. I will admit it seemed to have much better retention though
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I can take pics and send them to your email addy.  IM me.

If you have the ability to post them here after I send them, go right ahead.

But basically, just imagine the smartcarry holster that doesn't have a spot for an extra magazine.  Reducing bulk is a good thing when your 'package' takes priority down there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top