Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 3:28:41 AM EDT
Hello guys, how was your day? I'm a new guy and I just got my CHL in this month. I need you guys give me some advise to Carry My Hand Gun.
Be honest, I'm so confused about G17 and PPX M1 safety issue. Who has carried them? I always heard G17 has  accidental discharged from the TV or newspaper.  What about truth? which one more safety?
I guess I will put on those guns in my car on most time, but when I carry anyone of them that I don't want have problem.
Thank you guys
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say they are equally safe.

It sounds to me like you really should take a basic pistol classes before carrying any firearm if you are currently uneducated enough that you don't know how your firearm safeties work.

Have you read your owner manuals?

Do you have a good holster and belt?

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I carry a Gen 2 G17 every day and it is perfectly safe.  Someone else here recommend a test for new carry permit holders.  Carry your weapon for one month with the chamber empty but a full magizine, and see how many times the trigger is depressed.  If you do it right the answer should be zero and you should have a lot more confidence carrying with the chamber loaded. Also if you are going to be taking the gun on and off your body, you may want to look at a kydex/plastic  holster that you can slip on and slip off.  This will allow you to keep the pistol in the holster when taking on and off your body.  I would imagine that the possibility of an accidental discharge goes up when you are holstering and unholstering the the gun versus taking the holster off.  I myself use a Alien Gear Tuck 2.0 holster with the standard clips and i am able to put on take off with no problem.  Also make sure you get a good carry belt
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for your reply man!!
I didn't buy yet. because of I don't know which one has more comfortable for me. I will take look at range after thanksgiving
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you man.
For PPX, I swear to god, I WILL NOT loaded when I'm carrying. That is pretty dangaous. The trigger like killer, It's pretty good but easy to fire
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to test fire various guns in the caliber of your choosing. Research before buying. After purchase read the safety manual and fully understand how yor weapon functions. Buy a high quality belt and holster. Carry with it cocked but no ammo in the chamber for a week or more until you get comfortable and learn that the only way for the gun to go bang is pulling the trigger.

Practice practice practice. Dry fire and go I the range atleast 2 times a month
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you man.
For PPX, I swear to god, I WILL NOT loaded when I'm carrying. That is pretty dangaous. The trigger like killer, It's pretty good but easy to fire
View Quote

If you mean the chamber will not be loaded, that is.... Now how should I put this....?  Humm...... Get some professional training.

Most will tell you that the gun should be fully ready to fire.  I agree, and so do most self defense instructors.  There is nothing unsafe about the guns, only the owners.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I will. Thank you so much
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
You know I just check my mk25 again, I just feel......looks like it bigger? lol
I prepare carry my mk25. also for PPX too. I bought PPX finally
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you mean the chamber will not be loaded, that is.... Now how should I put this....?  Humm...... Get some professional training.

Most will tell you that the gun should be fully ready to fire.  I agree, and so do most self defense instructors.  There is nothing unsafe about the guns, only the owners.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you man.

Not with guns like

the Walther PPX with no external nor trigger safety, and an extraordinary light double action trigger pull.  
The Bersa BP9 also has no safe action trigger nor external safety and extraordinary light trigger pull.

I believe both manufacturers recommend loading a round only before firing.  I'll have to review the video, but I believe even Hickok45 said he wouldn't carry the PPX with a round in the chamber.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not with guns like

the Walther PPX with no external nor trigger safety, and an extraordinary light double action trigger pull.  
The Bersa BP9 also has no safe action trigger nor external safety and extraordinary light trigger pull.

I believe both manufacturers recommend loading a round only before firing.  I'll have to review the video, but I believe even Hickok45 said he wouldn't carry the PPX with a round in the chamber.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you man.

Not with guns like

Manufacturers also tell you to keep the pistol unloaded in the case and to keep ammunition and firearms in separate locked containers. That isn't much good for CCW advice is it? If you're carrying a pistol it needs to be ready to go. I carry appendix with a Glock and am not scared of an AD/ND but that's because I pay 100% attention on the reholster when I'm practicing because I know what could happen if I make a mistake. If you're carrying in a good quality holster and exercise due caution any time you touch the pistol you have nothing to fear. If you're not comfortable carrying a certain pistol with one in the chamber you need to either change the pistol or seek professional instruction.

ETA: Every story of an AD/ND with a Glock has involved something pulling the trigger. Floppy holster got in the trigger guard, jacket drawstring fell in the holster and caused a discharge when the jacket was pulled up, shirt fell in the holster and pulled the trigger when it was tugged on, etc. Take a second to pause and check your holster to make sure it is clear of any obstructions then reholster and you'll be fine. IMO the no-look reholster for a CCW citizen is stupid anyway but that's neither here nor there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Carry a Glock 26 every day loaded and chambered, still have all my soft bits in tact.

Like everyone has said, quality holster with the trigger covered and there is no issue. Now when you unholster/reholster that's where problems may come up.

Also with everyone else, if you aren't confident with your own safety, then you need to take some classes, train, go to the range, whatever it takes to build that confidence before you carry.

Realize that in a SD confrontation just seeing your gun holstered may not be enough to make the bad guy run away, you are probably going to need to draw it and hopefully not have to fire, but be ready to do so. If you aren't confident enough with the safeties built into your gun, how do you expect to be confident enough to draw and fire under stress fearing for your life or your loved ones. Not to mention any by stander near by?

Recommendation: Before you buy a gun, go to a range, rent it, shoot it. Or find a friend with that gun, go to the range together and shoot it. After that take a class on firearm safety, then a defensive handgun class, then carry
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
... IMO the no-look reholster for a CCW citizen is stupid anyway but that's neither here nor there.
View Quote

I've never understood the emphasis on "no look" reholster myself.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
You shoukd consider training and smaller guns for cc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top