Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2014 2:16:29 AM EDT
Hi, you might remember a thread of mine from months back asking what the largest pistol was that other smaller framed people could conceal. I guess it was too long ago to find the thread and reread it.

Anyways, I had purchased a Glock 19 with the intent to use it as both a range and carry pistol. It's too big for me to carry, as far as I can tell. If I'm honest, I could likely just wear larger clothing, but realistically, I would be more likely to just go back to wearing what I usually do instead. What I'd like is a pistol smaller than mine with the same manual of arms. That leaves me with a couple different options, mostly the compact double stacks like the 26 and 9c, or single stacks like the PF9, Shield, PPS, Kahr, etc. As much as I'd like to get a Glock 26, I'm not in the position to keep buying pistols in the hopes it would work. The width of the G19 seems just as much of an issue as the grip length. That leaves me with a single stack, which seems like a good option because I'm covered with winter weather carry (outside of my work uniform,) as well as a summer carry (which my uniform is more along the lines of) option with the Shield/Kahr.

My question, is which route would you take? Get the 26 and make it work, or hope it does? Or just go straight for one of the larger "pocket" 9s and cover the most bases?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:18:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It could have something to do with holster and belt choice too. What are you using to carry? A new $50-100 holster might be better than a new $500 gun. Not that buying new guns is bad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Bersa BP9CC.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
My G19 and crossbreed holster is perfect for me
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi, you might remember a thread of mine from months back asking what the largest pistol was that other smaller framed people could conceal. I guess it was too long ago to find the thread and reread it.

Anyways, I had purchased a Glock 19 with the intent to use it as both a range and carry pistol. It's too big for me to carry, as far as I can tell. If I'm honest, I could likely just wear larger clothing, but realistically, I would be more likely to just go back to wearing what I usually do instead. What I'd like is a pistol smaller than mine with the same manual of arms. That leaves me with a couple different options, mostly the compact double stacks like the 26 and 9c, or single stacks like the PF9, Shield, PPS, Kahr, etc. As much as I'd like to get a Glock 26, I'm not in the position to keep buying pistols in the hopes it would work. The width of the G19 seems just as much of an issue as the grip length. That leaves me with a single stack, which seems like a good option because I'm covered with winter weather carry (outside of my work uniform,) as well as a summer carry (which my uniform is more along the lines of) option with the Shield/Kahr.

My question, is which route would you take? Get the 26 and make it work, or hope it does? Or just go straight for one of the larger "pocket" 9s and cover the most bases?
View Quote

KAHR. They have three frame sizes. Think "too hot", 'too cold", "just right". One of them will fit you, and they were designed/built from the beginning as "concealed carry" guns, not just shrunken down variants of other models. I just bought another CW 45 as a cold weather pal to my compact 9mm. Plus, I just wanted another one. They are awesome guns any way you look at it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
While I REALLY want to carry my Glock 19, and I've tried like 7 or 8 of the "top" recommended holsters (and still own 2 or 3), it's just too big for me.  I've got a belly that pushes the grip out and makes it print no matter what holster I use--though I did order an RM low-rider as my FINAL attempt.

Even the Shield was a bit too big and heavy to really carry and have it be (a) 100% comfortable in all positions (like sitting in the car), and with (b) 0% printing.  If you don't mind carrying cocked and locked, check out the Sig 938; if you don't mind carrying a kel-tec (and with a fluff-and-buff, mine were 100%) the PF-9 is very concealable, but snappy.  The new Ruger LC9s (STRIKER) is close to the Shield, so I'd go with the Shield over it.  

My LCP was great (in a pocket or OWB), but ultimately I decided on the G42 with a +1 follower (and an 8rd backup mag).  Now I have 16rds (albeit .380) in a gun that is fast and accurate because it shoots like a 22LR.  It's easy to throw in a pocket, but JS and RM both make great paddle holsters that conceal it perfectly.  While I'd prefer to just have 16rds in the G19, so far I haven't found a way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]
IMHO any 9mm is going to print unless you IWB with like a super tuck or something. Also a single stack 9mm IMHO is not really a "pocket pistol" you will have to go a smaller caliber for that if printing is your issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Just get a single stack 9mm glock.......oh wait
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Just started using my LC9 as a carry gun. Got it just before the LC9S was released.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The only issue I would have with the 26 is the grip length.  I currently carry an XD-40 Subcompact and plan on trading it in for a shield because of the longer grip.  I know the G26 is not an XD but the grips are similar.  I have held the 26 with Pearce extensions on it and it makes it a bit more manageable but I will be going with a Shield.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I went from a glock 19 to a shield.
Now looking for something larger for winter and woods carry
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#11]
If you like Glock and want a smaller profile:
1. You could wait and see if the new single stack 9mm Glock will be available after SHOT 2015, highly probable.
2. You could go with a G42 (.380) now.  I would imagine that the profile will be the same as the 9mm version so holster compatibility should be the same.
3. You could get a Walther PPS.  It is the closest single stack 9mm to your Glock.  That is also my carry gun when thin matters.
4. You could go G26, but I would imagine the thickness of the pistol is also an issue for you.

Otherwise I would recommend a shield.  I have owned an XDs and would not recommend it because of QC reliability, and I hated the KAHR because of the way it shot and handled in your hand over the PPS.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I can carry my g26 OWB in a RCS phantom under a camp shirt or light jacket without printing while standing upright, walking etc... Bending at the waist will print the handle a bit. I can carry the same gun IWB with a Foxx Hybrid under a fitted T-shirt and not print standing and walking, same rules apply bending at the waist. You have to learn to squat when needing to get at something below the waist if you're concerned you may print.

I've carried at my kids soccer games, the grocery store, mall, anywhere I can legally carry and have never been spotted. It was hard at first, I thought everyone and anyone could see it, felt almost criminal, but now I don't worry about it. I could open carry and doubt anyone would notice accept for those also carrying and they are on your team so you have nothing to worry about.

My only gripe is weight haha. Still can be hard with that brick on my side. To that I am looking at the g42 for those days I just want something lighter. Rather have .380 than nothing and from watching and reading numerous articles about it I do not feel under armed or vulnerable with a .380. YMMV.

So if you're fear is printing I promise that no one will notice and if someone does it doesn't matter. Most won't say anything or just disregard it as one of those monster smart phones in a life proof case lol.

Give yourself some time to get use to carrying before spending more money on a new gun. Invest in a good belt, adds to the comfort and concealment. My favorites are my Beltman and Volund Gearworks atlas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I REALLY want to carry my Glock 19, and I've tried like 7 or 8 of the "top" recommended holsters (and still own 2 or 3), it's just too big for me.  I've got a belly that pushes the grip out and makes it print no matter what holster I use--though I did order an RM low-rider as my FINAL attempt.

Even the Shield was a bit too big and heavy to really carry and have it be (a) 100% comfortable in all positions (like sitting in the car), and with (b) 0% printing.  If you don't mind carrying cocked and locked, check out the Sig 938; if you don't mind carrying a kel-tec (and with a fluff-and-buff, mine were 100%) the PF-9 is very concealable, but snappy.  The new Ruger LC9s (STRIKER) is close to the Shield, so I'd go with the Shield over it.  

My LCP was great (in a pocket or OWB), but ultimately I decided on the G42 with a +1 follower (and an 8rd backup mag).  Now I have 16rds (albeit .380) in a gun that is fast and accurate because it shoots like a 22LR.  It's easy to throw in a pocket, but JS and RM both make great paddle holsters that conceal it perfectly.  While I'd prefer to just have 16rds in the G19, so far I haven't found a way to do it.
View Quote

Ive never heard of a CCW being 100% comfortable.

Perhaps your expectations are too high?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out the XDs 9mm as well. They are short and slim, come in 3.3" or 4" barrel lengths. Have to get used to the grip safety but otherwise it's similar to your 19.

I have an M&P40 fs beside the bed and a 40c for carry and would chose the XDs9 over the shield as it stands.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just get a single stack 9mm glock.......oh wait
View Quote

When they make one let me know and I will wait in line to buy one. OP as for your issue I would go with the shield, I carry a G19. But tried on a friends shield in a IWB holster (Idk what holster) and thought it was easily concealable over my G19. But I am also comfortable with G19 so ill continue to carry it. Just go to a gunshop and ask to try on different guns and look them over see what works for you. Good luck on your choice and report back to show off your new carry piece.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you tried appendix carry?  Easier to conceal but you need a holster made for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why are you so concerned with printing? Printing in FL is not a crime & no one notices anyway.

Not much you can do with confront. Nothing is going to be 100%. Your now carrying a firearm.  You have to expect it to be a bit more cumbersome to live with.  Go for the G26.
You say you tried different holsters..Did any of them have cant adjustments? A cant forward of the holster really helps hide the grip. And if your a around the handles, you might try 4-5'oclock carry. Combined with the forward cant really makes the gun disappear.
Have you tried appendix carry? Easier to conceal but you need a holster made for it.

If you have any type of belly(as the OP said he did) this is NOT the carry method for you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry a Kahr PM9, OWB with a Raven Concealment holster daily during the warm months in Ohio. I'm in a delivery situation five days a week with about 8-10 stops a day, getting in and out of my van. All I wear is a sleeveless athletic dry fit shirt over it. No one has ever said a word, and I'm bending over all the time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock 26 for IWB and/or Ruger LCP for pocket carry
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the same situation earlier this year.  My solution was a Sig P290RS, which I am happy with.  The others were not a big enough difference in size to justify the expenditure.   The Kahr's CM / PM9's are pretty much the same size.

PM me if you want me to email you the spreadsheet that created this, the last columns are whatever is on that line vs G19. :

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Was looking for a long time for a single stack 9mm. Held them all a lot. Cm9, shield, p938 and others. All I have to say is I always came back to the p938. I absolutely love it. I would definitely at least look hard at it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#22]
P938
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#23]
M&P Shield
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#24]
The glock 26 is an awsome carry weapon in my opinion. I have had mine about 8 years now. Never a problem, absolutely boring reliability. I shoot it as good or better than most full size handguns. My suggestion is to give it a shot and see if it works for you. Plus, it can share your 19 mags.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#25]
"Perhaps your expectations are too high?"
-- yeah, mine are I think.  I see TONS of people who carry G19s (I showed up at an advanced concealed class, which had 10 G19s--including the 2 instructors'--and 2 Shields).   I've owned the G26, but it wasn't smaller than the G19 by enough to make much difference.  The Shield wasn't bad, I just sold it to force myself to carry the G19 more....which ended up with me buying a G42.  To me, the G42 is 100% comfortable.  But I'm going to keep trying to find the right holster for the G19...

As for printing.  I know it's not illegal, but I worry about what it means by "ordinary" when it says "in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person."  Case law has said, "printing is legal as long as it is not obviously a gun to the untrained, casual, observer," so I know I'm fine since the casual observer wouldn't discern any bulge as a gun over a phone, magazine, beeper, etc.  But I'd like to minimize it as much as possible.  Most of my friends are gentle lambs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All I wear is a sleeveless athletic dry fit shirt over it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Realistically?
If you are having problems concealing a G19, don't go to the G26.  Buy a G42 and be done with it.  I have a G26 and I do like it very much, but when it comes to easy concealability, the G42 wins hands down.  I can't stop carrying mine...it's just so easy to conceal it's ridiculous.  And what this means in the real world is a lot of flexibility; jeans, jackets, shorts...it can work with a wide array of dress styles in true four season utility.  
I know, it's "only" a .380 ACP, but a .380 ACP that you can always have is better than a 9 that you can only carry some of the time.  And I carry in venues where I'm prolly not supposed to (I work for a University).
Do yourself a favor and stop struggling with handguns that you can only "cover up" and get something that you can conceal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^ This is my reaction when I hear people say they've tried 8 different guns with 16 different holsters in 9 different positions then wind up buying something like a NAA .22lr revolver b/c it's so much more comfortable in their jacket pocket than a gun on their waist.

Carrying is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I have dealt with an issue like this for years. At the PD I work for, all of our Chiefs have been anti-gun to some extent or another and all have frowned on off duty carry. We can carry off duty, but they would rather we didn't and we get a lot of crap if caught doing it. As a result, I am always looking for better carry options that are decently powerful while maximizing concealability. The sad thing is that, because of budget cuts, we are also subject to callout 24/7 if the on duty Officer needs help, so I require a gun that is beg enough to shoot well, small enough to conceal well and have enough capacity for me to be comfortable with in the event I get called in.

For years, I carried a G26 with the 10rd mag in the gun with 2 15 or 17rd mags for reloads. Pretty good option, but the gun is thick and chunky enough that the butt would occasionally print under just a t-shirt in the summer. A good belt (Beltman 1 1/2") and holster (CrossBreed SuperTuck) helped a lot, but it still occasionally printed. Holster and belt combo were VERY comfortable, though.

Early this spring, I got a S&W Shield in 9mm and an Alien Gear hybrid holster. Talk about a night and day difference! The butt on the Shield is just slightly longer than the G26, but the Shield is MUCH thinner, which helped a LOT in concealing it. Now, I can wear the gun IWB under just a t-shirt and no printing, unless I do stupid things. The Shield is also more comfortable to carry than the G26 because of how thin the gun is. If I had to do it again, I think I would have gotten a SuperTuck for the Shield instead of the Alien Gear, but the Alien Gear was also half the price and works almost as well, its just not quite as comfortable as the SuperTuck. I can say this because the Shield fit reasonably well in the SuperTuck for my G26 and I carried it like this for a few weeks till I got my Alien Gear holster. The Alien Gear works pretty well, though, and is a good option if on a budget. Another good thing about the Shield is that the trigger is very similar to the trigger on my Glocks and feels much the same, except for being a little heavier. Made learning the Shield a lot easier, too. I carry the Shield with the 7 rd mag in the gun and carry 2 8 rd mags for reloads or in case I need more precision if I get called into work. I can put an 8 rd mag in the gun and my pinky fits well and I shoot it almost as well as my full sized duty guns.

I've never shot or even held one, but the new striker fired Ruger LC9s is getting a lot of good reviews. Lighter, shorter trigger than the original LC9 and about the same size as the Shield. Should be a good option if it feels better to you than the Shield. In fact, I like single stack, concealable guns and I might try one out when we get out income tax return in the spring.

Another good option is the Springfield Armory XDs. I've never shot the 9mm but have shot the .45. Pretty heavy recoil in the .45, but the gun shot VERY WELL! When I was looking for a Shield, a 9mm XDs was also on the list, in the event I couldn't find a Shield (I was looking for a Shield when they were the hot thing and almost impossible to find). Decent trigger on the one I shot, anyway, and very accurate.

I have shot a few of the subcompact Kahr guns. They are good guns, but I just can't get over the long, DA trigger. I short stroked the triggers on some of the Kahrs I have shot, trying to shoot from the reset that just isn't there. Its a training issue, but is another reason why I went with the Shield. I will say, though that the subcompact Kahrs are small enough to pocket carry, where the Shield, LC9 and XDs really aren't. If you think you might want to pocket carry, then go with the Kahr.

Overall, as long as you get one form a reputable manufacturer, any of the single stack 9mm guns should make an excellent IWB carry option. Try them out, find out which one fits your hand the best and has the best trigger for you and go for it. Just remember to get a good holster and belt (I can heartily recommend CrossBreed holsters and Beltman belts) as they will make carry that much more comfortable and easier.

Bub75
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#30]
As much as I'm a fan of glocks and the M&P platform both, I'd have to recommend the Kahr cm9/pm9. While the shield 9mm is much thinner than the glock 9mm's, the kahr is even smaller, while giving up only one round in capacity compared to the shield. This isn't my pic, just one I found that shows the difference between the g26, the Kahr, and an LCP:

Shield on left, Kahr on right:

The Kahr isn't all that much smaller than a shield, but it's some smaller; and for pocket carry I'd MUCH rather have a DA trigger than a striker-fired action. Not a knock on striker guns; I have five glocks and three M&P's and would trust any of them with my life. But striker-fire for pocket carry? Not for me. And if I'm going with the Kahr for small gun carry in a pocket, may as well use it for small-gun carry outside of a pocket as well imo. YMMV obviously.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

^^ This is my reaction when I hear people say they've tried 8 different guns with 16 different holsters in 9 different positions then wind up buying something like a NAA .22lr revolver b/c it's so much more comfortable in their jacket pocket than a gun on their waist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the idea that it should be comforting, not comfortable is crazy. If it isn't comfortable it isn't going to be carried, and an uncarried gun is slightly more worthless that tits on a boar hog.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I am a huge fan of Glocks, but the gun I end up carrying the most these days is my CM9
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think the idea that it should be comforting, not comfortable is crazy. If it isn't comfortable it isn't going to be carried, and an uncarried gun is slightly more worthless that tits on a boar hog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a person believes that going unarmed is better than contending with slight discomfort of carrying then they probably shouldn't be carrying in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#34]
The Kahr pistols are great except for that stupid little spring under the slide release lever - wish they could find a way around that. The two other pistols that conceal the best for me are the PF9 and a .38 revolver (LCR being my favorite), both very comfortable and about as print-free as you can get. Everyone should have a .38.........
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#35]
There comes a point where going small in guns gives you negative returns.

Frankly, guns can be too small to be useful.  Easy to carry...yes, but not all that great in a fight.  

Are you planning to win a gunfight or just make it easy to carry?  

Anything smaller than a 19 is giving up a lot of capability.  Frankly, I prefer a 17.  Carry isn't supposed to be fun, easy, or something you don't have to think about.  Buy the right clothes, holsters, and gun to win an actual gunfight.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]
People operate under different constraints.  Trying to argue that one “should” carry this pistol or that pistol isn’t helpful or even valid.  
Firstly, people have different body sizes and types and different clothing styles that in some cases cannot be modified too much without drawing unwanted attention to oneself.  
Secondly, there are different standards for effective concealment.  One standard of concealment is that which will pass muster at WalMart or the local grocery store.  Another, much higher standard would be the level necessary to pass scrutiny by the Secret Service and allow one to get within twenty feet of a “world leader” while carrying a deadly weapon.  
And there are all the levels in between, such as carrying in a hostile work environment.

If the OP says that a G19 is too difficult for him to effectively conceal in his situation then it’s too difficult to conceal….end of argument.  He needs help figuring out something else.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#37]
^^^^^^^^^^Agree.

Not everyone can conceal the same thing. And small size differences in pistols can make for a HUGE difference in how concealable a pistol is. You hear the same argument all the time that a G19 isn't that much bigger than a 26, so if you can conceal a 26, you can conceal a 19. Some say the 17 isn't much bigger than a 19, so....

Well a 34 isn't really that much bigger than a 17, so using the above reasoning, if you can conceal a 26, a 34 shouldn't be a problem.

As stated above, different body statures and sizes don't always make it practical to wear pants and shirts a size larger. In my case if I do that, I just look like someone who doesn't know how to pick out his clothes. Or some kid wearing his Dad's clothes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I had the same situation earlier this year.  My solution was a Sig P290RS, which I am happy with.  The others were not a big enough difference in size to justify the expenditure.   The Kahr's CM / PM9's are pretty much the same size.

PM me if you want me to email you the spreadsheet that created this, the last columns are whatever is on that line vs G19. :
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69075
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69075

That's amazing...well done!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There comes a point where going small in guns gives you negative returns.

Frankly, guns can be too small to be useful.  Easy to carry...yes, but not all that great in a fight.  

Are you planning to win a gunfight or just make it easy to carry?  

Anything smaller than a 19 is giving up a lot of capability.  Frankly, I prefer a 17.  Carry isn't supposed to be fun, easy, or something you don't have to think about.  Buy the right clothes, holsters, and gun to win an actual gunfight.  

View Quote

All CCW guns are pretty worthless in a gunfight.

I don't plan on getting in a gunfight. If I did, I'd bring my AR. I carry for personal protection, not being the civilian who does what cops are paid to do.

I carry what I can rely on to save my own ass in any situation, most likely bad breath distance. For me, that means either my Glock 23 or 27, my Keltec PF9, or a S&W airweight .38. All depends on what I'm wearing, and where I'm going.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
People operate under different constraints.  Trying to argue that one “should” carry this pistol or that pistol isn’t helpful or even valid.  
Firstly, people have different body sizes and types and different clothing styles that in some cases cannot be modified too much without drawing unwanted attention to oneself.  
Secondly, there are different standards for effective concealment.  One standard of concealment is that which will pass muster at WalMart or the local grocery store.  Another, much higher standard would be the level necessary to pass scrutiny by the Secret Service and allow one to get within twenty feet of a “world leader” while carrying a deadly weapon.  
And there are all the levels in between, such as carrying in a hostile work environment.

If the OP says that a G19 is too difficult for him to effectively conceal in his situation then it’s too difficult to conceal….end of argument.  He needs help figuring out something else.
View Quote

I'd recommend a G26, that half inch lacking in the grip is huge in concealabity, and the reason I carry my 27 at work, versus my 23 everywhere else.

If thickness is an issue, I'd suggest looking at single stacks. Personally, my next purchase will probably be a Shield.

My Keltec PF9 carries awesome AIWB, and is way more comfortable than my Glock 27, but due to amount of trigger time spent on guns, I feel more comfortable with my Glocks.

I don't have any issue concealing my G27 AIWB, but the grip on the 23 can print a bit in my lightweight work shirts. Outside of work, I like plaid flannel shirts, so it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I replaced my G23 with my USP45F as my EDC. Sarcasm aside, doing something like that may not be the worst idea. Carrying a gun was uncomfortable for me both physically and psychologically ("everyone can see it!") at first for me, but I stuck with it and now I conceal the USP with ease and my original EDC G23 feels tiny in comparison. It may not be an issue of expectations in the sense that you're expecting it to be comfortable, but maybe an expectation of how long it takes to become comfortable, if that makes sense. Swapping holsters and positions without giving yourself the chance to get truly used to one could be an issue.

Just my $.02. It seems to me that a lot of people talk themselves into smaller guns without REALLY giving the larger ones a good chance. This is as much in your head as your waist.  

As for printing, I was just out at a ranch with some buddies at a shooting pit where I was constantly bending over and squatting messing around with guns and mags on the ground. Every one of these guys knows I carry all the time (they don't) and I knew I was printing up a storm with that big .45, but they were all surprised when I pulled it out to shoot, none of them had noticed. Again, we're actively shooting, they know I'm carrying, and my gun is BARELY concealed, yet they didn't  notice. I know it only takes one scared person to notice you to make your life miserable, but the fact that my friends didn't notice in that situation really bolstered my confidence in the fact that even if there's a bulge in my shirt (always a patterned shirt btw) nobody is going to notice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#42]
I carry a 23, 27, or 17 depending on what I'm wearing. no printing issues. I think your perception of what people can see/notice needs to change.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I just picked up a G36, single stack 45 slim frame. Its smaller that the 19 and thinner than all standard glocks (26, 19, 17). Same height as the shield. this allows the exact same functions, its 6+1 but if your considering a shield or kahr than your already compromising. Its a bigger round but in the end it comes down to shot placement. And all my holsters still fit great because its the frame that's smaller and not the slide.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I carried the G19 around 12 years and was totally satisfied. With all the hoopla about all the smaller frame guns that have came out within the past couple of years, I decided to give the Shield a try. Ordered one and a Ritchie CQB holster and man what a difference. I have since sold the G19 and the Shield and now carry the XDS .45 in a CQB holster and I am still amazed at how much the size and weight difference made.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#45]
The smallest primary pistol that I would carry would be the M&P 9mm C
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Go shoot a G26 before you buy one. There truly isn't  that much of a difference size wise.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Im 5'10 155lbs and i carry a g17 aapendix carry in a kydex holster. I wear a medium size tshirt and do not print. I used to carry a lc9 but cant shoot worth shit with it so ive went back to carrying full size guns. I also carry a fnx9 in a crossbreed without printing
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Realistically?
If you are having problems concealing a G19, don't go to the G26.  Buy a G42 and be done with it.  I have a G26 and I do like it very much, but when it comes to easy concealability, the G42 wins hands down.  I can't stop carrying mine...it's just so easy to conceal it's ridiculous.  And what this means in the real world is a lot of flexibility; jeans, jackets, shorts...it can work with a wide array of dress styles in true four season utility.  
I know, it's "only" a .380 ACP, but a .380 ACP that you can always have is better than a 9 that you can only carry some of the time.  And I carry in venues where I'm prolly not supposed to (I work for a University).
Do yourself a favor and stop struggling with handguns that you can only "cover up" and get something that you can conceal.
View Quote

This is solid advice. I'm a small guy (5'7", 165lbs). I'd love to EDC my G19/USPc/P99 like some of you guys can but it's just not realistic. Print heavily in the spring and summer. G42 AIWB was the answer for nice weather. I call it my "no excuses" gun because there's no reason whatsoever to not have it on me.

EDIT- I should clarify- G42 for shorts/t shirt weather. I carry the standard compacts in fall/winter
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Have you tried appendix carry?  Easier to conceal but you need a holster made for it.
View Quote

yep try this- also you might want to look at the shield or the lc9s.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:37:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Maybe look at a Glock 26 and then you could use you 19 mags as spares?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top