Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 10:48:14 AM EDT
I've done my share of experimentation on holsters.  I used a JIT slide from Hume, and found it didnt keep my pistol (officer size LDA at that time) tight to the body, so I tried a galco matrix with the straps and ended up with the same problem.  I moved to a DeSantis Speed Scabbard about the same time I raded up to a commander length gun, but find a smoth presentation nearly impossible.  I've tried a DeSantis Sof Tuk and right now am using a Galco King Tuk most often, as my carry attire is often not condusive to wearing my shirttail out.  Nothing is really working out.  My biggest problem is finding one holster that gives me retention, presentation, and concealment.  I realize these features have to be considered in balance, but I have to have a degree of each, and right now haven't been able to run one holster that givees acceptable levels at all three points.  Any tips? My belt does a great job of supporting my holsters, so I no longer have the "laying out" problem the Hume holster gave me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
So you will have a cover garment or you will not?
You are wanting to tuck-in your shirt but still have the gun concealed (without a jacket/vest)?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've done my share of experimentation on holsters.  I used a JIT slide from Hume, and found it didnt keep my pistol (officer size LDA at that time) tight to the body, so I tried a galco matrix with the straps and ended up with the same problem.  I moved to a DeSantis Speed Scabbard about the same time I raded up to a commander length gun, but find a smoth presentation nearly impossible.  I've tried a DeSantis Sof Tuk and right now am using a Galco King Tuk most often, as my carry attire is often not condusive to wearing my shirttail out.  Nothing is really working out.  My biggest problem is finding one holster that gives me retention, presentation, and concealment.  I realize these features have to be considered in balance, but I have to have a degree of each, and right now haven't been able to run one holster that givees acceptable levels at all three points.  Any tips? My belt does a great job of supporting my holsters, so I no longer have the "laying out" problem the Hume holster gave me.
View Quote

You may have to learn with your wallet.  The off the shelf brands are good enough for occasional carry but if you plan on really using your holster do yourself a favor and go custom.  Galco is probably the best of the off the shelf brands but that is where It stops.  

if you prefer leather, I suggest makers like FIST, Mitch Rosen, HBE Leatherworks, Milt Sparks, Ken Null, UBG Holsters and Ritchie Leather.  You will probably spend only a few dollars more than the retail prices of off the shelf brands but will be much happier.  

Kydex, I recommend companies like Comp-tac, LFI Concealment, OTG Hex, and Raven.  

I also recommend checking out the DIY Kydex forum over in Survival and maybe PM a member over there and see if they will make one for you to your specs.  Some really great looking professional grade stuff coming out of there.

FWIW I am kind of a holster junkie so PM me if you need any questions answered.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you will have a cover garment or you will not?
You are wanting to tuck-in your shirt but still have the gun concealed (without a jacket/vest)?
View Quote

I will be both, so my thoughts are I need tuckable to maintain concealment
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks gotuonpaper. I havent had most of those recommendations in my pre-purchase posts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My biggest problem is finding one holster that gives me retention, presentation, and concealment.
View Quote

What kind of belt are you using?  The wrong belt can cause these problems with even the finest holster.

-Deke
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a kit from old faithfull holsters (leather/kydex IWB) that is prety adjustable.

It wasn't quite what I wanted, so I got the kydex hot and tweaked what needed tweaking.

for added retention, I just took a cloths iron, put it on high, and jammed the tip into the trigger guard area of the holster so the gun "snaps" in, very secure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Raven concealment makes an outstanding holster system.

I say "system" because their holsters are modular, allowing you to easily convert the holster between IWB, OWB and they have multiple options for belt loop configurations. I really can't recommend them enough. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Although I do not own one, my next holster will be the Alien Gear Holster.  Great price, 30 day trial,  lifetime warranty, and lifetime upgrade shell if/when you get a different carry gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Although I do not own one, my next holster will be the Alien Gear Holster.  Great price, 30 day trial,  lifetime warranty, and lifetime upgrade shell if/when you get a different carry gun.
View Quote

Good choice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

if you prefer leather, I suggest makers like FIST, Mitch Rosen, HBE Leatherworks, Milt Sparks, Ken Null, UBG Holsters and Ritchie Leather.  You will probably spend only a few dollars more than the retail prices of off the shelf brands but will be much happier.  
View Quote

I'd add Alessi to that list, I have a few that Lou made for me even a custom bezel down Surefire 6Z/mag pouch. Got off the phone with Katie getting I should have a new one next week, looking forward to seeing how they compare to the Lou original's.

Clint
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well....the Bentley series from ComfortHolsters does the trick for me.....tucks the long gripped (19 round double stack) of an XDM with a 5.25 inch bbl very nicely (surprisingly to me).     Initial cost is higher...but compared to what you have invested in things that aren't working for you...I'd give it a try.    Says they will refund you if not happy......but I didn't test it....as mine is staying with me

I found out the grip tuck design of this holster is not a gimmick .... and it works a lot better for me than other leather or flex slab style IWB...and the gel backing between you and the kydex is a nice touch.  YMMV

Edit:  Or try shorter bbl appendix ... it might surprise you and tucking dress shirt not a problem  (disregard my preferred holster if going appendix though.. you will want a simple tuckable one clip in that instance)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Comp-Tac CTAC.  It's full kydex and tuckable.  I tried an MTAC and found I had difficulty with drawing and reholstering because of the leather pressing into the shell.  I found people with similar hybrid holsters complaining about the same thing.  The CTA is all kydex, smooth draw, easy reholster.  My third is in the mail right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I have different guns and holsters for different situations.  I would prefer to carry a G30 in a Supertuck but that doesn't always work.  In shorts walking my dog it's more comfortable to carry an LCP in my front pocket in a pocket holster.  In the winter I carry a variety of handguns in OWB holsters with a jacket on.  Winter seems to be the easiest.  If I sweat a lot mid summer I carry something in stainless.

Maybe your approach to one holster/gun needs to be changed up for different situations.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone for your advice.  I'm going with a tuckable from a local arfcommer right now.  Will see how it goes, and proceed as necessary.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Not trying the thread jack, but this is on topic. I have been eyeing a leather OWB holster for awhile now just to try leather and came across this:

http://www.wrightleatherworks.com/products/predator-pancake-holster

Looks very nice, but can't find many reviews on it online. The gun is a G26.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Alien Gear holsters. It will take about 5-6 weeks to get to you, but if you don't like it you send it back and they refund your money. It has a forever warranty and you can send in your old shell for a new one if you get a new gun.

Alien Gear
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Ended up with ....

Kydex IWB tuckable, Three day turnaround on a day's notice.  Not bad.  Formed to my specific firearm (not that there's anything special about it, but it worked out that way) I wasn't satisfied with the trigger guard "grip", so he tweaked it for me.  After an actual carry, I realized the holster was still catching the sharp edge of the guard too firmly, so I followed the maker's instructions and adjusted it.  I don't like doing that, but I like that I CAN do that.

Check out Arfcommer BobaPunk, proprietor of North Central Illinois Custom Kydex.  I know he's made SIG, Glock, 1911 and Shield scabbards, in IWB, OWB, and pocket varieties.

I am evolving as a handgunner, and I expect I'll eventually switch my EDC, so I'll probably need to change holsters.  My Pocket Holster for the BUG is showing signs of "breaking in" that I don't like, so I'll need to upgrade there too.  I don't reckon to ever stop holster shopping, as I'm something of a "gear slut"

THANKS AGAIN to everyone to pitched in on this thread
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
How long are you "trying" these holsters? I mean, are you really really giving them a chance? No holster, that I've found, was like the Holy Grail with beaming lights and angels singing in the background, right out of the gate. Sure, there are some I've found upon opening the UPS box and thinking...."this thing won't make it thru the 1st summer"...most of which were just cheaply made(leather, fasteners,etc.). Every one that I have, needed 'break in' time...not only for the holster, but for me to get used to it. All plastic, of course, not included.

I carry, either an XDS or 5" 1911, 9-10hrs daily during work days(I cannot carry at work) and 15-17hrs on Sat and Sun. Luckily, the XDS and 1911's can share the same holster(not at the same time, of course )

My fav: Galco King-Tuk

My least fav: Alien Gear. Cheap/thin leather(which is why it's comfortable within their 30 day $ back warranty. My kid has better quality Wal-Mart 'pleather' belts), poor clips (thin spring metal...almost looks like they're spray painted) and cheap fasteners (cut rubber fuel line as "spacers".)

Of course, just my .02
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I never had a problem using a simple fold over IWB with pull the dot loops
Leather or Kydex

BTW I prefer Kydex
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Hard to go wrong with JM Custom Kydex.

OWB V2
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I've used my IWB holser for a little over a year now.  I have the comp-tac Minotaur MTAC, and although it gets the job down well the comfort (for me) is an issue.  I'm a bigger build guy @ 6' 250 and ever since I started carrying I've yet to feel completely comfortable because I'm always thinking that everyone can tell I'm carrying something thanks to the strange lump/bulge on the upper back hip of my pants.  The other issue I have with IWB is that I can't carry it if or when I'm wearing athletic shorts, or sweatpants etc.  I'm interested in finding a holster that is not IWB that I can wear daily with any clothing.  I've looked around at ankle holsters, and also a little at some shoulder style, the Holster Shirt / Shoulder Holster-Deep Conceal-Concealed Gun Shirt, as well as UnderTech Undercover Mens Concealment Shorts.  Does anyone have any experience with any of these styles/brands, or are there any better segestions for me?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Tucker Gunleather
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I really like Big Ugly Leather Works. If you're wanting something you can tuck in but don't like the King Tuk I'd give one of his "Ugly Tuck"s a shot.

Only all leather tuckable holster that I know of. Conceals even full size pistols very well, and is comfortable as all get out.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How long are you "trying" these holsters? I mean, are you really really giving them a chance? No holster, that I've found, was like the Holy Grail with beaming lights and angels singing in the background, right out of the gate. Sure, there are some I've found upon opening the UPS box and thinking...."this thing won't make it thru the 1st summer"...most of which were just cheaply made(leather, fasteners,etc.). Every one that I have, needed 'break in' time...not only for the holster, but for me to get used to it. All plastic, of course, not included.

I carry, either an XDS or 5" 1911, 9-10hrs daily during work days(I cannot carry at work) and 15-17hrs on Sat and Sun. Luckily, the XDS and 1911's can share the same holster(not at the same time, of course )

My fav: Galco King-Tuk

My least fav: Alien Gear. Cheap/thin leather(which is why it's comfortable within their 30 day $ back warranty. My kid has better quality Wal-Mart 'pleather' belts), poor clips (thin spring metal...almost looks like they're spray painted) and cheap fasteners (cut rubber fuel line as "spacers".)

Of course, just my .02
View Quote

I didnt keep a log.  I realize that is not what you are asking, but that is my closest response.  I am a nickled*ck, so I don't flip these things quickly.  I still use some of the owb leather I've more or less given up on, when the situation warrants it (pants too small for IWB, ample concealment)  Ultimately The solution may be moving to Indiana, Iowa, or Arizona.  I'm puzzled though, about an XDs holster fitting a 5" 1911 and vice versa.  Am I misreading something?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've used my IWB holser for a little over a year now.  I have the comp-tac Minotaur MTAC, and although it gets the job down well the comfort (for me) is an issue.  I'm a bigger build guy @ 6' 250 and ever since I started carrying I've yet to feel completely comfortable because I'm always thinking that everyone can tell I'm carrying something thanks to the strange lump/bulge on the upper back hip of my pants.  The other issue I have with IWB is that I can't carry it if or when I'm wearing athletic shorts, or sweatpants etc.  I'm interested in finding a holster that is not IWB that I can wear daily with any clothing.  I've looked around at ankle holsters, and also a little at some shoulder style, the Holster Shirt / Shoulder Holster-Deep Conceal-Concealed Gun Shirt, as well as UnderTech Undercover Mens Concealment Shorts.  Does anyone have any experience with any of these styles/brands, or are there any better segestions for me?
View Quote

I dont think there is anything for any clothing in any situation
too many anies
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Fobus paddle when I bought my Ruger SR22 because it was cheap.  I then ended up buying a Fobus for all my handguns.  I like them that much.  I have to get in and out of vehicles a lot, and go to child care and other places you can't take a gun, so I'm removing it a lot, putting it back on.    Easy to get on and off, and they do a real decent job of keeping the gun into your body.  Around the home I just clip it on whatever I'm wearing, even sweats.  

Go to Amazon.com and try one.  See how you like it.  If you don't, send it back, get a refund.  Easy peasy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top