Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 10:32:20 AM EDT
I read the thread about AIWB carry that was posted awhile back. It had some great info in it. I have been thinking about carrying this way.

The one thing that bothers me is the fact that the gun I will be carrying is a S&W 9C with NO safety, and the barrel is pointed straight down into my leg.

Does anyone carry a striker fired gun with no safety AIWB? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of those guns have long, heavy trigger pulls and/or some kind of glock style trigger safety.  Even without a trigger safety it's not easy to accidently pull the trigger.  Same deal as a revolver.  Don't press the trigger until you're ready to shoot.  The  idea is to have a smooth gun reduce the chances of snagging on clothing/holster on the draw.  Also, the gun goes directly into action without having to operate a switch, which under pressure can be a time saving advantage.  It's no big deal, revolver and Glock users have been CC ing for years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have carried a Glock 19, 30S, and 26 for years with one in the chamber.  I still have both of my legs.  All are carried in a Galco King Tuk at 1-2 o'clock.  Go watch a youtube video of people throwing modern striker fired guns off of roofs or out of airplanes and you will realize that, unless you screw up and pull the trigger, the thing is not going to discharge.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Some people do carry striker fired firearms AIWB.  The M&P without safety is a little more forgiving of mistakes because of the long pretravel.  

I personally would only carry AIWB with a pistol with a safety or DA/SA.  Other people may disagree, but I prefer the added layer of safety.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the guard if you aren't on target, use a decent stiff holster, confirm holster is clear before holstering, or remove holster and place gun in it off body, and you will not have an issue.-
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Kydex.

It's what you seek. Gun lives in the holster. Unless being used.

12 years safe now. All sorts of glocks and a p99.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses. This is reassuring.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kydex.

View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a G26 in a CCC Shaggy consistently.
I load the gun and put it in the holster then put the whole rig on and off at once.
I do a lot of dry-fire practice from the holster too with both a real and cocked (unloaded) gun and a blue gun. Never an issue.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The re holstering is what scares me,  I refuse to carry Aiwb without a hammer to ride.  Keeping your finger off the trigger is good and all, but it only takes one bad day to kill yourself.  arrogantly believing your beyond that possibility no matter how remote is not a good mentality in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The re holstering is what scares me,  I refuse to carry Aiwb without a hammer to ride.  Keeping your finger off the trigger is good and all, but it only takes one bad day to kill yourself.  arrogantly believing your beyond that possibility no matter how remote is not a good mentality in my opinion.
View Quote

That's 'you are' or "you're".

There isnt anything arrogant about recognizing extreme caution for an extreme emergengy tool.

If you aren't comfortable with it.  Great.

But don't cut on folks who are willing to pay attention to details.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Take the holster off to register. It's just a discipline thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There isnt anything arrogant about recognizing extreme caution for an extreme emergency tool.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isnt anything arrogant about recognizing extreme caution for an extreme emergency tool.

Typing one handed after a surgery.  Your correction of my grammar went far to invalidate my point, kudos.  

Has nothing to do with paying attention to details, if YOU'RE willing to take your holster off, or orientate it in such a manner to prevent discharging a round into your femoral then great... However most do not illustrate that caution.  

Regardless, a good deal of negligent discharges occur when drawing the firearm.  The relatively light trigger pull of a striker fired pistol combined with a short break is a potential for disaster.  

If you consider these risks to be worth while for your personal usage that is fine. I have no issue with that, and apologizing if it appears I was attacking anyone that carriers a striker fired pistol in this manner.

However my issue, and what I'm saying can be an arrogant mentality is the mantra of "keep your finger off the trigger" as it is  far to simplistic a statement.  Not acknowledging that additional risks may very well be prevalent when carrying a striker fired pistol aiwb is not the appropriate way to address someones question of concern.  Shit happens, even to the best of us.  Particularly with the adrenaline spike associated with a self defense shooting.    

While no substitute for proper trigger discipline, a pistol with a hammer offers an additional fail safe when re holstering, one that could be considerably more practical in a self defense scenario.

A LEM, DAO, or SA/DA pistol could offer an additional margin of error as well that may help mitigate poor trigger discipline when drawing the firearm.

The acknowledgement that trigger discipline is fallible, along with the added notion of additional fail safes found in a non striker fired pistol should always be talking points, especially when talking about AIWB.  Shooting yourself when caring owb or traditional iwb may be fatal, however shooting yourself in the femoral is almost a guarantee of death  
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry a G19 or G26 AIWB all the time.  After doing some training with it from various positions and with "no shoot" targets/objects around me to simulate gun manipulations around family or other people you wouldn't want to point your gun at in a self defense scenario, I have to say I prefer AIWB.  I do not feel it is unsafe at all, and I like having the gun in front of me at all times.  The only thing I don't like about AIWB is that it is a little more difficult to take a leak in public restrooms.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the guard if you aren't on target, use a decent stiff holster, confirm holster is clear before holstering, or remove holster and place gun in it off body, and you will not have an issue.-
View Quote

^^^This, it is very simple, in fact this should be the same exact procedure everyone does regardless of carry position.  We need to draw fast, putting the gun back home should be a slow and purposeful process.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Besides removing the holster from your pants to reholster, practice not putting your finger on the trigger till your gun is up on your draw.

I'd rather carry a striker fired with on block than a gun with a safety and no pin block.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
While no substitute for proper trigger discipline, a pistol with a hammer offers an additional fail safe when re holstering, one that could be considerably more practical in a self defense scenario.

A LEM, DAO, or SA/DA pistol could offer an additional margin of error as well that may help mitigate poor trigger discipline when drawing the firearm.
View Quote

I have given much consideration to getting an auto with an exposed hammer to thumb when re-holstering for that reason exactly. There are some nice single-stacks available that fit the bill too and that's also appealing.
The self-defense un-holstering and having to re-holster to avoid a mis-identification from responding officers is the scenario imagined too. Well re-holstering may or may not be the thing to do depending on the circumstances. I'm not sure dedicating all the time and expenses for a platform specifically to avoid a possible accident for what statistically (and hopefully) is an unlikely event.
So I decided that equipping and training on a new platform wasn't cost effective or efficient for me. I invested (and still am) in training instead and invest more time in practicing what I learn there. I hope that education, attention to detail, alertness and daily discipline are effective in keeping me safer than not.

I've seen complacency mistaken for arrogance in my experiences. Either can indeed be fatal too.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry my Glock 19 AIWB.
Not a big deal, I practice the draw, firing and re-holstering a lot.

Quoted:
I read the thread about AIWB carry that was posted awhile back. It had some great info in it. I have been thinking about carrying this way.

The one thing that bothers me is the fact that the gun I will be carrying is a S&W 9C with NO safety, and the barrel is pointed straight down into my leg.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kydex.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Kydex.

This is what I do with a G22 and 23.  Gun lives in a Fricke AIWB holster /one in the pipe.

Quoted:
I carry a G19 or G26 AIWB all the time.  After doing some training with it from various positions and with "no shoot" targets/objects around me to simulate gun manipulations around family or other people you wouldn't want to point your gun at in a self defense scenario, I have to say I prefer AIWB.  I do not feel it is unsafe at all, and I like having the gun in front of me at all times.  The only thing I don't like about AIWB is that it is a little more difficult to take a leak in public restrooms.

+1  Using a stall is pretty much mandatory!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I carry an M&P9C AIWB in an Incog.

No worries.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#21]
For me, I feel like it is more safe. Less moral hazard. Because the risk is higher, every time I holster my M&P9 (which is at least once a day after a practice draw and press check) I consciously say to myself, "don't fucking kill yourself." I think that when people don't have that risk, they tend to get sloppy. Now if you are going to be sloppy regardless of the risk... don't fucking carry. Or if you insist on carrying, maybe you are the kind of person that should carry a gun with a hammer, trigger safety, manual safety, and no round in the chamber. Point being, the risk keeps me alert, and being alert keeps me alive.

TL;DR: AIWB w/o a manual safety, means pay fucking attention when holstering your weapon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I carry a Shield AIWB which has the same trigger OP

No worries, just get a sturdy holster and practice good trigger discipline

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry my Glock 23 or 27 AIWB daily. Triggers have been lightened on both as well.

Eta: stupid auto correct on tablet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Didn't one of our guys (JohnWayne777?) get into it pretty good with Suarez and the WarriorTalk guys over this?  I think it was hashed out pretty completely back then.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Typing one handed after a surgery.  Your correction of my grammar went far to invalidate my point, kudos.  

Has nothing to do with paying attention to details, if YOU'RE willing to take your holster off, or orientate it in such a manner to prevent discharging a round into your femoral then great... However most do not illustrate that caution.  

Regardless, a good deal of negligent discharges occur when drawing the firearm.  The relatively light trigger pull of a striker fired pistol combined with a short break is a potential for disaster.  

If you consider these risks to be worth while for your personal usage that is fine. I have no issue with that, and apologizing if it appears I was attacking anyone that carriers a striker fired pistol in this manner.

However my issue, and what I'm saying can be an arrogant mentality is the mantra of "keep your finger off the trigger" as it is  far to simplistic a statement.  Not acknowledging that additional risks may very well be prevalent when carrying a striker fired pistol aiwb is not the appropriate way to address someones question of concern.  Shit happens, even to the best of us.  Particularly with the adrenaline spike associated with a self defense shooting.    

The acknowledgement that trigger discipline is fallible, along with the added notion of additional fail safes found in a non striker fired pistol should always be talking points, especially when talking about AIWB.  Shooting yourself when caring owb or traditional iwb may be fatal, however shooting yourself in the femoral is almost a guarantee of death  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear the femoral GSW mantra parroted over and over but it is really overblown. I never muzzle myself either when drawing or holstering and you shouldn't either if you're using proper technique. When holstering the pistol comes back to my body and then the muzzle is rotated downward. A slight backward lean gives you a good view of the clear holster and ensures the muzzle stays away from my body. During the draw the pistol stays tight against my body until I clear the holster and can move the muzzle outward. If you're sweeping yourself you're doing it wrong, I don't care how you carry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#26]
First, it is 100% smart of you to have reservations about this. Anyone that says there is zero risk is full of shit.

I carry a G19 in a G34 length JM Custom kydex holster. It has a built-in wedge to help tuck the grip and avert the muzzle from your body. I have also added a super-wedge of a single layer of blue camp pad held on with athletic tape for greater comfort and muzzle aversion. With this length holster and the wedge, it is difficult for me to get the muzzle to point at my body regardless of position. I like AIWB a lot. I don't know if I can ever go back. That said, it is not without risks.

Check out this good read from Todd Green:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-(Appendix-Carry)
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Carried a P99 for 10yrs.
Handle it like you are supposed to, pay attention to the basics.

those that draw and blast themselves have been doing it wrong all along.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I find AIWB to uncomfortable, but I wouldn't have any qualms carrying my G23 that way
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hear the femoral GSW mantra parroted over and over but it is really overblown. I never muzzle myself either when drawing or holstering and you shouldn't either if you're using proper technique. When holstering the pistol comes back to my body and then the muzzle is rotated downward. A slight backward lean gives you a good view of the clear holster and ensures the muzzle stays away from my body. During the draw the pistol stays tight against my body until I clear the holster and can move the muzzle outward. If you're sweeping yourself you're doing it wrong, I don't care how you carry.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

No-one's perfect, humans make mistakes, especially under stress. Training can reduce the chances of a mistake occurring but cannot eliminate it. When carrying AIWB I prefer to err on the side of caution (YMMV).
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#30]
G26 Aiwb with a raven vanguard 2.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry my Shield 9mm in a JM custom IWB version 3 holster. I carry it about 2:00.

Zen is jogging with your G42 in a Pistolwear PT-1, pointed at your junk, with one in the pipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top