Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2014 4:30:52 PM EDT
I am going to try pocket carrying since I've struggled with IWB a bit. My question, though, is what do you do with your keys to lighten the load? I have an iPhone in my left front pocket and have always carried my keys (two sets for two vehicles and house/work keys) in my right front pocket. Obviously, I will need to empty that pocket for my gun, but what do I do with the keys now? Plus, I have to figure out what to do with the extra magazine once I can get my hands on one. Sometimes, it'll be cargo shorts which gives me a couple extra pockets to work with (albeit not very accessible ones), but what about jeans? I am pretty much against wearing my phone on a belt clip, so I'm thinking about moving it to my left rear pocket and putting the keys in the left front. What do you all do when pocket carrying?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry less keys. Keep the sets where you need them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
get a key-bar

holds something like 15 keys - about the size of a multi-tool
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I hook my keys to my belt loop with a small carabiner.  Mostly because with the remote and number of keys, it is just too bulky to fit comfortably in my pocket.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Learn to make compromises.

Habits like "I don't do _____________" *might* have to change to accommodate CCW arrangements.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Digital locks
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a safariland horizontal magazine thinger to carry my spare with. It isn't exactly tactical but it doesn't look anything like what someone would expect a magazine pouch to look like. The only concern I have with it is if someone thinks I have a multitool in there and asks to borrow it and I look like a prick for refusing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
nylon key snap and keeper from a LEO supply ... same type of belt keeper on the Maxpedition phone case... the series of split rings allow the keys to cascade into my rear pocket

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hook my keys to my belt loop with a small carabiner.  Mostly because with the remote and number of keys, it is just too bulky to fit comfortably in my pocket.
View Quote

Yeah, I was pretty miuch there with the bullk of the keys already. I held it off by putting the two car keys/fobs on separate rings, but this may be where I end up. Or one of the key keeper things mentioned above. That's not a bad idea.

I'm willing to compromise except when it comes to the phone. It's too expensive and too important to me to trust it to a belt clip on the outside and it just looks dorky. I'd stop carrying a phone or shove it in my back pocket before I went that far.

Thanks for all the ideas, I really do appreciate them!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Carry less keys. Keep the sets where you need them.
View Quote

fewer.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Leave the phone at home like I do, problem solved.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leave the phone at home like I do, problem solved.

View Quote

I'd never leave home without a phone.

The few times I've pocket carried I put the keys in my right rear pocket, or a cargo pocket if available. I don't have to carry a lot of keys, so it's not a serious issue. I see a lot of guys carry them on their belt, but that's not for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My keys go on a metal clip that goes on my belt.  I got tired of bending keys that were in my pocket.
Phone goes on my belt and pistol goes IWB.

If pocket carrying like I do on vacation in Florida, the phone and keys still go on my belt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Cargo pockets.... and/or carry just a house and car key for the vehicle youre driving.  Leave the others in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I've moved to a carabiner on my hip bone loop. If I'm out and walking a lot I'll move it to 9 o clock.

IWB gun is at 3-3:30, phone left front pocket, wallet rear right, knife clipped right front.

I've got my keys limited to pretty much essentials, but a car key fob is bulky.

I like the key bar, might have to try one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I use one of these.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I had the same issue, mostly carry iwb, but sometimes I want something smaller so I pocket carry a smaller weapon... Been putting my already light key ring in my cargo pocket, just is awkward reaching in my cargo pocket every time I open my car door.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Unless I missed it, I'm surprised nobody mentioned a Kubotan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the tips. I really like that little key holder tag. I'm going to look for something like that. I alternated between my keys in my left pocket and on a 'biner hanging from my belt loop today while I pocket carried the little baby Kahr CW380. That thing is tiny and lightweight. Other than my pocket being stiff and inflexible, I hardly noticed it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Unless I missed it, I'm surprised nobody mentioned a Kubotan.
View Quote

I've used them for years.  Great tool and makes carrying keys a snap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to hate seeing folks do this, but I have come to the realization that if I was going to pocket carry, the keys had to get out of my pockets. Now I do it everyday.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I used to hate seeing folks do this, but I have come to the realization that if I was going to pocket carry, the keys had to get out of my pockets. Now I do it everyday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm slowly coming to the same realization. At least now I know how to spot a likely pocket-carrier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Keys and pocket knife in left front pocket.
P3AT in right front pocket.
Phone on belt holster.
Wallet in rear pocket.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Car keys and house keys in front left pocket on separate key chains I minimize both as much as possible and my reload usually rides in there too, work keys on retractable keychain on belt, flashlight on belt, wallet in left rear, knife in fifth/change pocket, phone in shirt pocket (I hate and do not understand the trend toward ever bigger phones), or I cram the phone in with the keys or drop it in the right rear on the move and put it put it on the desk/dash/etc. when stationary. In more casual settings cargo pockets alleviate all issues. With mag fed I'd probably try to find a multi-tool pouch or mag pouch that looked similar to one that would fit the mag.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I am going to try pocket carrying.

I have an iPhone in my left front pocket.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

I spend money every time I visit that site!! Lots of cool and useful gadgets. Check around some things are cheaper elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I have never carried more than one key in my pockets, ever. I could not get used to carrying a bunch of keys, and guess I have been lucky because I have never had a need to. The only key I have to carry is for whatever vehicle I am driving that day, and I just tuck that key in the little coin pocket in my pants.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have never carried more than one key in my pockets, ever. I could not get used to carrying a bunch of keys, and guess I have been lucky because I have never had a need to. The only key I have to carry is for whatever vehicle I am driving that day, and I just tuck that key in the little coin pocket in my pants.
View Quote

Wish I could go that route, but I have a single-unit key/fob thingy for my car and I feel it necessary to carry the key and fob for my wife's minivan in case she's out and about and locks her keys in somehow. She's never done it, but the one day I leave them home would be the day she does. Then, tack on a key for the office and a key for the house and it quickly adds up. I'll work it out--lots of great suggestions in the post and I'm trying them one by one for a bit to figure out what I like. The hardest part is not instinctively reaching into my right-hand pocket for my keys every dang time (because I've kept them there for years).
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Clipped on a belt loop
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Kubotan. Best thing ever.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like this but there are about a million options on Amazon for that and they vary from aluminum to polymer to crazy shapes and weird colors. Is there some specific brand and requirements I should be looking for?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I like this but there are about a million options on Amazon for that and they vary from aluminum to polymer to crazy shapes and weird colors. Is there some specific brand and requirements I should be looking for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the Monadnock KKC2 made of plastic with the protruding ridges on it.  Inexpensive and the ridges really amp up the performance on the compliance techniques.

http://www.aidandtrade.com/preview/america_dropshippers/Kkc2_persuader_2_ridged_keycha/dropshipping-87400.html

I don't like the smooth ones or the ones with grooves as much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#35]
you've got four pockets no?
phone/keys/gun/wallet = 4

\when I pocket carry, keys go to left pocket, phone goes to rear left.

odd, not-the-norm feeling, but I don't pocket carry often.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Only wear some sort of cargo pants/shorts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I carry a lot of stuff and wear cargo shorts and Tshirt  2handguns,2 reloads, 2 lights, 2 knives. you get the picture.

I use a  carabineer  clip to my belt loops.

Key ring has a INOVA microlight and  a small Kiss  side opener , House, Car ,Cuff  key
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I carry a lot of stuff and wear cargo shorts and Tshirt  2handguns,2 reloads, 2 lights, 2 knives. you get the picture.

I use a  carabineer  clip to my belt loops.

Key ring has a INOVA microlight and  a small Kiss  side opener , House, Car ,Cuff  key
View Quote

Good lord, your daily loadout must weigh like 10 pounds!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I would certainly NEVER put the phone in a back pocket-they don't take very kindly to being sat on...

Nick
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I always keep my keys in my back left pocket. Never had a problem with bending keys, breaking remotes, accidently setting off alarm, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.

Gun in left front (left handed) pocket
Reloads in left cargo pocket
Keys and chapstick in right front pocket
Knife clipped in right front pocket
Phone in right cargo pocket
Wallet and flashlight in right rear pocket
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I always carry my keys in my hand. I hate having stuff in my pockets. I'm weird.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I ordered one of these to try out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IPPHW4/

It looks like cheap crap, but the reviews were decent and for the cost of a fast food meal, I thought I'd give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Me too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

Because being tactical does not preclude being civilized.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

I never go anywhere without this.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

Only heathens have dry, cracked lips.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:51:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I got a Victorinox clip a while back based on EDC suggestion.  Love it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't spend any money on a kubaton. I was over in London last year, couldn't even carry a knife for protection, and the brits aren't keen on the right to self defense because  [law abiding] "people shouldn't be carrying weapons around" (yet, somehow London is also the only place I've ever been mugged...) and I made my own. Get a 4 1/2 inch long bolt (you or a buddy probably has one laying around), and tie paracord (you better have some of this. If not, go out and buy 100 feet of it right now) around it using a box knot (youtube how to do it). It works better than any one you'll buy online, and not that I have done it... but, you can walk right through customs with one and nobody will blink an eye. Not sure you could do that with a more "fancy" kubaton.

The other low profile option is to tie a monkey's fist around a steel ball bearing... I used to carry my keys like this, but when my knife moved to my front right pocket, the monkey's fist got in the way of a clean draw so it had to go. Thinking of moving my knife to the back left and bringing back the monkey's fist but I digress.

Either way, don't waste money on a "real" kubaton. Make your own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like one with a point.

I had one with pepper spray and that was neat.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't spend any money on a kubaton. I was over in London last year, couldn't even carry a knife for protection, and the brits aren't keen on the right to self defense because  [law abiding] "people shouldn't be carrying weapons around" (yet, somehow London is also the only place I've ever been mugged...) and I made my own. Get a 4 1/2 inch long bolt (you or a buddy probably has one laying around), and tie paracord (you better have some of this. If not, go out and buy 100 feet of it right now) around it using a box knot (youtube how to do it). It works better than any one you'll buy online, and not that I have done it... but, you can walk right through customs with one and nobody will blink an eye. Not sure you could do that with a more "fancy" kubaton.

The other low profile option is to tie a monkey's fist around a steel ball bearing... I used to carry my keys like this, but when my knife moved to my front right pocket, the monkey's fist got in the way of a clean draw so it had to go. Thinking of moving my knife to the back left and bringing back the monkey's fist but I digress.

Either way, don't waste money on a "real" kubaton. Make your own.
View Quote

Your weapon sounds kinda ugly. My keychain is pretty. Worth the money, IMHO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top