Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 9:28:36 AM EDT
Thinking about a new gun for deep concealment.  Right now I'm thinking about either a compact revolver or a Kahr CM45, leaning towards either an ankle holster or SmartCarry.

Which gun would you recommend?
Pros and cons of each?
What carry method?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer ankle to Smartcarry since I can get to my ankle quicker. However I also prefer pocket or IWB to ankle. I also have tried small semi's like the Kahr but keep going back to my J frames I just like revolvers for deep concealment better. I also don't like the spare mags for Kahr's since no matter how I carry them they all like to spit ammo out for some unknown reason. My speedloaders and speedstrips don't do that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
First off I would not buy anything Kahr, way too many reliability issues. You either get a sewing machine or a complete lemon...

With that said I really like the J-Frame S&W revolvers (442 or 642) and the Ruger LCR in 38spl. Nothing carries like a small revolver.

If you do decide you want a auto I would highly recommend the S&W Shield with no safety. I have one and I love that little bugger, I can shoot it just as good as my G19.

ETA: I carry the above in a DeSantis Nemesis (pocket) or in a ankle holster, mine is just a cheap Uncle Mikes since I rarely ever need to use it. I would like to get a Galco Ankle glove at some point.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger LC9 with the carry clip and a trigger-guard kydex holster. Awesome AIWB.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Which ever one you shoot best with. Rent them at a range if you can and go from there. I'm partial to the j- frame: smaller, light, fits in a pocket easily, and I'm comfortable and confident shooting it. Cons: low round count, slow reloads, can be difficult for some people to shoot well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thinking about a new gun for deep concealment.  Right now I'm thinking about either a compact revolver or a Kahr CM45, leaning towards either an ankle holster or SmartCarry.

Which gun would you recommend?
Pros and cons of each?
What carry method?

Thanks
View Quote

I would take a  Jframe for back up over any sub compact 45ACP

I don't like 45ACP doesn't do so well in short barrel pistols. The short as I would go is a P220 carry
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer ankle to Smartcarry since I can get to my ankle quicker. However I also prefer pocket or IWB to ankle. I also have tried small semi's like the Kahr but keep going back to my J frames I just like revolvers for deep concealment better. I also don't like the spare mags for Kahr's since no matter how I carry them they all like to spit ammo out for some unknown reason. My speedloaders and speedstrips don't do that.
View Quote

Smart carry can be just as fast as IWb
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I currently own several J-frame S&W and I previously owned both the Kahr P9 and MP9.

I sold off both Kahrs because they were always 95% reliable for me. After hundreds of rounds through both they would still occasionally hiccup.

Couldn't trust them.... I replaced them with a Walther PPS in 9mm and a S&W Shield in 9mm.

No comparison the Shield and PPS have been 100% and I'd never look back.

For a small, light carry gun I'd recommend 9mm over .45. Capacity is limited so an extra round or two of Fed HST is worth it for me.

All that said there is no comparison to the ability to carry and hide the J-frame. I use the J on an ankle in a 5 Shot Leather rig or IWB in a Fist Holster 1-K

J frames are great and I recommend the 342 if you can find one. The 642 is great as well and cheaper.

My Js always get the lock removed, trigger smoothed and a XS big dot night sight done by Karl Sokol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Thinking about a new gun for deep concealment
View Quote

I have a 442 for this. But it's not used often. I carry a G22 & when I need something smaller I carry my G27. But the 442 I will put in my pocket when I do use it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
J-frame.

You need one.

If you don't have one................I feel sorry for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top