Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 10:09:46 AM EDT
I started carrying when I was 18 at my family business... I started with a S&W 442 no lock J-Frame. As I grew older I went to a Beretta 92SF, GLOCK 23, GLOCK 22, GLOCK 27, and now I'm back to J-Frame S&W. Amazing what ten years does.

I started as a teenager working in a shop and was armed incase of a burglary to the place. Then got my CCW and started working in gun shops. From their I became a cop and went to carrying my Dept Issue gun.

I find the J-Frame to be comfortable, useful, accurate, dependable. The 342 Ti is just the right balance of weight and caliber. For general off duty carry. I'm happy...

When I travel. The GLOCK 27 will still tag along with me with some spare 15rd mags.

Smith & Wesson Model 342 Airlite Ti

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you are comfortable with it, that's all that matters and have at it.

At the PD I work for, we are subject to 24/7 callouts if the on duty Officer needs help due to budget cuts and cutting the number of Officers working a shift. We are now down to 1 Officer from 0300-2100, then two from 2100-0300. On the weekends (Fri and Sat nights), if we can find a part timer to work, we usually have another Officer from 1700-0300. This is for a town of about 5000. Needless to say, we are often REAL BUSY on a shift!

I started out carrying my Sig P226 on and off duty and quickly found it to be too bulky for off duty. Tried various guns- S&W M6906, HK P7M8, Glock 26 (carried by far the longest), S&W M649 (one of the early .357 guns with no lock), Ruger SP101. Liked either the M649 or SP101 best. When the budget cuts hit, I really didn't feel like running towards the sound of the guns with a 5 shot snubbie if called out, so I went back to the G26 and now carry a Shield 9mm. I can shoot the Shield as well as my G22 duty gun with the extended 8 rd mag and almost as well with the standard 7 rd mag, as well as the advantages of quick reloads if necessary, so I'm happy.

If I wasn't subject to callout and only had to worry about self defense, I would probably be carrying the M649 again. Shoots like a dream with Dept mandated .38+P, heavy enough to soak up a lot of recoil but light enough for comfortable carry. Not a pocket carry gun with the steel frame, by any means, but IWB is effortless. Not to mention, I really like DA revolvers. The only thing keeping me from doing it now is that I really don't want to have to go running towards an armed guy(s) with just a 5 shot snubbie. I still have both the M649 and SP101 and, upon retirement, when all I have to worry about is myself again, one of them may well come back out to play. We'll have to see how it works out.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a fine carry choice. Nice looking revolver.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a fine carry choice. Nice looking revolver.
View Quote

Indeed it is
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
In the 80`S I carried J&K frames mostly.

Then I bought 3 pistols.
Colt Combat Elite , Officers ACP and Mustang

Then in 90`s I wanted to go 9mm
M5906 , M6906 , M37

Later I switch to 40S&W P229 and M642

Now Im back to 9mm again. HK P30S 9mm and a M642

I carry both a primary and a bug.

And we never ever be without a S&W J frame

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I started carrying when I was 18 at my family business... I started with a S&W 442 no lock J-Frame. As I grew older I went to a Beretta 92SF, GLOCK 23, GLOCK 22, GLOCK 27, and now I'm back to J-Frame S&W. Amazing what ten years does.

I started as a teenager working in a shop and was armed incase of a burglary to the place. Then got my CCW and started working in gun shops. From their I became a cop and went to carrying my Dept Issue gun.

I find the J-Frame to be comfortable, useful, accurate, dependable. The 342 Ti is just the right balance of weight and caliber. For general off duty carry. I'm happy...

When I travel. The GLOCK 27 will still tag along with me with some spare 15rd mags.

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/lfzumt0hh/full/" target="_blank">http://s26.postimg.org/h6v4kmx89/2014_08_23_19_48_54.jpg</a>

View Quote

BTW question you have a permit . I have one like it. and you are a LEO?

I was thinking you dint need a permitt

I bet its  to go out of state now that I think about it. LOL
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/lfzumt0hh/full/" target="_blank">http://s26.postimg.org/h6v4kmx89/2014_08_23_19_48_54.jpg</a>

I have a permit for four reasons.

1. I skip the waiting period for purchases. In Florida it is 3 days for handguns mandatory and the counties are allowed to modify the wait to five days max for handgun or long gun if the choose. Miami-Dade and Broward did. Five day wait on all purchases without a permit.

2. My current dept policy states that if you want to carry off duty and you don't have a CCW. You have to carry a dept approved firearm in a dept approved holster. My agency's selection sucks.

3. God forbid I get in a on duty shooting or incident that puts me on the rubber gun squad riding a desk. I can still carry a firearm while off duty then.

4. Outside of Florida (Georgia for example) I can carry openly with my CCW permit because of reciprocity. While LEOSA allows me to carry in all fifty states and territories, that is limited to concealed carry.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
May I recommend a snub course?

Snub Course.

If you carry a snub this is GREAT course IMO.

Also : A quick AAR of the course.

Cheers!

-JC

ETA: In the theme of the thread…

Carrying since 2003.
Started with a KT P32 , S&W Mod 60 .38 (always will keep this one),
Sig 239,
G27,
sold G27 bought G26 + G19 (still have both),
sold 239 got S&W 442,
added a S&W 438.

Next is another G26. Then done for carry guns and moving on to just plain fun !

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Snub Course.

Cheers!

-JC

Carrying since 2003.

Sig 239,

G27,

sold 239 got S&W 442,

added a S&W 438.

View Quote

I carried a 642 for so long that I wore off the finish. It was my BUG for six years as a patrol cop. Done plenty of courses and training events with it
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I carried a 642 for so long that I wore off the finish. It was my BUG for six years as a patrol cop. Done plenty of courses and training events with it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snub Course.

Cheers!

-JC

Carrying since 2003.
Sig 239,
G27,
sold 239 got S&W 442,
added a S&W 438.

Ah - good. Many just carry and not actually shoot theirs much and I like to point folks towards that.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My primary carry guns in order

1. Glock 27 ~ sold
2. HK P30s ~ sold
3. SW 642  ~ still in rotation
4. Kimber TLE 1911 ~ sold
5. Ruger SP101 ~ sold
6. Kahr CM9 ~ still in rotation
7. HK USP 45C ~ not in rotation but still own
8. Glock 30 ~ still in roation
9. Ed Brown SF 1911 ~ Current Primary Carry
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm with you OP I've carried everything from cheap makarovs to HK. I always keep coming back to the J frame.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1. I skip the waiting period for purchases. In Florida it is 3 days for handguns mandatory and the counties are allowed to modify the wait to five days max for handgun or long gun if the choose. Miami-Dade and Broward did. Five day wait on all purchases without a permit.

2. My current dept policy states that if you want to carry off duty and you don't have a CCW. You have to carry a dept approved firearm in a dept approved holster. My agency's selection sucks.

3. God forbid I get in a on duty shooting or incident that puts me on the rubber gun squad riding a desk. I can still carry a firearm while off duty then.

4. Outside of Florida (Georgia for example) I can carry openly with my CCW permit because of reciprocity. While LEOSA allows me to carry in all fifty states and territories, that is limited to concealed carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1  mandatory 3 to 5 day wait for LEO

That's another crazy law. if one is a LEO they should be able to buy the same day and carry without permit any handgun they choose.

What handgun did your agency approve?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's another crazy law. if one is a LEO they should be able to buy the same day and carry without permit any handgun they choose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think LEOs should abide by the same laws as the general public. Same for the military and any other government agent.

Dept issue GLOCK 22, 27, 17, and 26.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think LEOs should abide by the same laws as the general public. Same for the military and any other government agent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#16]
My three primary carry guns are Ruger LCR .38, Kahr CM40, Glock 27.   I find my self carrying the LCR 90% of the time.   If it was good enough for Rico Tubbs it's good enough for me.   Of course if I ever have to use my weapon I'll be kicking myself for not having my G27.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top