Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 5:04:41 PM EDT
What do I give up going with one versus the either for 24/7 EDC.

home gun is a G19.

I wear business casual and carry IWB in south florida.

a few times a week, I wear a dress suit.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The thin guns are MUCH more comfortable for deep concealment. Of course you're giving up capacity.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Also if you're comfortable with it look into aiwb carry
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
With the 26 you keep 9mm a better round overall, mag sharing with the 19 you already have and neglible thickness over the 42 for carry with a good belt and holster.

Figure spending at least $100 on a good holster and belt, preferably that much for each.  

The 42 get you a little smaller frame and a weaker round and no mag compatibility

If I were new to CCW the 42 may reel me in but you having a 19 already pushes me toward the 26..  

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I sometimes in the course of life find myself seated, whether in my car or at work or home, so I can't do AIWB.
If I lived 24/7 standing up at the range, I'd try it.

I carried a G36 for a year, then rebounded to a LCP for a year, then went to a PM9 for two years, then the 19... which was a bit too big to conceal in a suit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Why'd you dump the pm9 out of curiosity? I carry a 19 every day but the kahrs are nice when you need to really hide it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why'd you dump the pm9 out of curiosity? I carry a 19 every day but the kahrs are nice when you need to really hide it.
View Quote

1) I'm allowed to nitpick my edc so allow me to knock the slide stop.  WAY too sharp .
2) honestly, a bit small and I have tiny hands!
3) wife would never ever touch it in any situation. SHe wasn't comfortable with it .  She likes the glocks so I'll get one of the smaller glocks.  I don't want to own a gun she refuses to operate,

It's a fine gun with a great trigger, mine bordered on perfect.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd agree that w/ you already having a G19, it would make more sense to go w/ a G26 because of ammo and mags.  If you weren't Glock specific then getting a Shield or XDS would be my advice.

Whatever you get, take a serious look at a tuckable Remora holster.  I'd been looking for a truly tuckable solution - meaning not my hybrid style or any other where you still see the clips on the belt. Watch the vid and it explains the holster. I just got one a week or so ago and love it. This is my third Remora. There are times when I just can't go w/ an untucked shirt, and this absolutely hides 100%. I wear it AIWB w/ an XDS and it's awesome.   For $30 or so it's a no-brainer to try.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do I give up going with one versus the either for 24/7 EDC.

home gun is a G19.

I wear business casual and carry IWB in south florida.

a few times a week, I wear a dress suit.

Thanks all.
View Quote

On the G42, you'll give up power & capacity.  On the G26, you're giving up thinness, weight, & overall length.  The G42 should be easier to carry & conceal because of its thinness & lightness.

Now, are you totally sold on just the Glocks?  I say this because I went through a similar situation about 8-9 yrs ago.  I still have my G26 & 19 (Got rid of the G36), but added 2 Kahrs (A CM9 & P45).  The P or CW series Kahrs have longer grips, but are about the same length & thickness, not to mention, firing full power (Including +P) 9mm, .40, & .45 (& being similar in capacity to the G42).  The CM/PM series with extended mag gives you a decent grip, shorter overall length, similar thickness, & about the same capacity.  I personally found the Kahr CM/PM9s in a FIST kydex holster (With their ultra thin kydex) to be an ideal carry gun in a tuckable AIWB holster.

The comment about the PM9's sharp slide stop is interesting.  I had a PM9 about 8 yrs ago & traded it for a Kahr P45.  Both of them had sharp slide stops.  I should've smoothed the sharp edge on the PM9 (Did so on the P45), but I later got a Kahr CM9.  The CM/CW series Kahrs have the MIM slide stop, which I've found to be smoother.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The G26 is too big for pocket carry, that's really what you need to know.  If you want to pocket carry get the 42.  

The G26 is a fine gun, but frankly it does not fit a role very well -- too big for pocket, and the 19 is better as a belt gun.  You are not really gaining much concealability with the 26 for belt carry.

The 26 is a good ankle gun, that's probably where it actually fills a nice role/  

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You could reprofile the slide stop on the PM9.  I agree it is too sharp.  

I have a G27 (nearly same size as 26) and would carry it daily but I cannot find a holster that I like.  IWB, OWB, Galco, Blackhawk Check6.

Still looking.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Get your 19 chopped

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]
GLOCK 26. The 42 was a mistake, in my opinion. Honestly, it's TOO small. I found the grip to be too thin, both side to side, and front to back. It also has problems. There have been numerous reports of guns that just plain don't work. Mine never did work right and I dumped it. Now I'm looking for a 26.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Wait for the new single stack 9mm that is supposed to come out this year.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:56:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Right after the carbine?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right after the carbine?

You just wait and see.

I'm not saying it is GOING to, I said it is supposed to.  The news is out there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#16]

I was wondering if we'd see a 9mm G42 or a 45 Shield first....

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#17]
My problem with the PM9 was the long trigger pull and super long reset.
The Glock 26 just didn't seem any smaller than the 19 to me.  After years of a P9, PM9, P9, PF9, LCP, and a Shield, I'm trying to go with the G42.
IF you liked the super comfort and ease of the LCP, even more than the PM9, I'd go for the G42.  If the G19 wasn't THAT hard to conceal, then get the slightly smaller version.

I may go back to the Shield, BUT so far here's why I like the G42:
1). I'm not anti-.380.  But then, I'd be fine carrying my SR22 with 14rds of minimag if I needed too (though I don't think it's made as well as glocks or the shield). I'm all about placement and speed--and the G42 shoots like a lightweight 22 with minimags:  it's very easy to put rounds on target fast for me (and I'm all palm, with chubby little finger nubs).   I'll get a single-stack 9mm glock if it's this thin and is tall enough to hold 8-9rds.
2). I'll like the capacity ONCE I get my +1 follower and +2 baseplate (8 or 9 rounds is my minimum--and the Shield is a bit long with 8, and can't do 9).  The 26 has great capacity, but feels like I'm concealing a brick, and is harder to hold and control for me.  When I held my 26 up to my dad's 19, I immediately sold it and got a 19--not much bigger, and only a TINY bit harder to conceal for me (when I do carry it).  Both the 26 and 19 took a little prep, but as an IWB person, maybe it'd be different for you.  I find the thin guns SO much easier to carry, even if they are taller.
3). The 42 with a trimmed hogue jr on it, and a pinky extension (or +2 follower) just feels good--even better than the Shield, which feels better to me than my g19 (which has a grip reduction).  I shoot glocks well--much better than I do Kahr or Shields.  But I never really liked carrying any of them unless I was (am) going into a bad area--then I LOVE my g19.  But I love carrying the g42.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#18]
If a reliable, accurate, concealable single stack 9mm is what you want, take a look at the new non-safety Shield.

I've owned both a 26 and a 42, and the 42 conceals exceptionally without a doubt. Like someone mentioned, you give up power and capacity, but that's the compromise. I'm really surprised they couldn't get a 7th round in the magazine. Oh well.

I like my manual of arms to be consistent and love Glocks. The Shield fits the bill for me right now for a striker fired single stack 9mm until Glock releases one (not holding my breath).
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The 42 is probably one of the best 380s on the market.  For me, though, that's like saying it's the best competitor in the special olympics.  I just don't feel like the 380 is adequate when I have the ability to carry something just a little bit bigger in 9mm.  If the 26 is too fat for you, look at a Shield, XD-S, or PPS.  I already had a 26 when the new wave of single stacks was released, and I haven't had much desire to change.  My wife, though, thinks her Shield is perfect in every way - even the shitty trigger and sights.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If a reliable, accurate, concealable single stack 9mm is what you want, take a look at the new non-safety Shield.

I've owned both a 26 and a 42, and the 42 conceals exceptionally without a doubt. Like someone mentioned, you give up power and capacity, but that's the compromise. I'm really surprised they couldn't get a 7th round in the magazine. Oh well.

I like my manual of arms to be consistent and love Glocks. The Shield fits the bill for me right now for a striker fired single stack 9mm until Glock releases one (not holding my breath).
View Quote

If you trim the sides of the follower so it's the same height front to back 7 will fit(ends up being about a 1/4" tall), or you can buy the magguts follower and spring, 7rds in the mag w/ stock baseplate.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The G26 is a fine gun, but frankly it does not fit a role very well -- too big for pocket, and the 19 is better as a belt gun.  You are not really gaining much concealability with the 26 for belt carry.

View Quote
A lot of people say this, but I have to disagree.  I have a lean body type and wear t-shirts the majority of the year in GA.  The shorter grip in the 26 prints much less than the 19 (for me).  At 5 o clock it disappears when the grip on the 19 is poking out considerably more.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Because of this picture, I going to do this ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't like the whole concept of the shield, it is pretty much the same exact size of the compact, just thinner.

My other objections – The hinged trigger and external  safety lever – have both been dealt with by the factory or aftermarket.

Honestly, I don't see what the shield does that the pm/CM nine doesn't do better for that category.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I decided I would settle this and went to the range today to rent the guns

I picked up the 42 and Knew it was not for me, I rented the 26 and it was  butter.

It feels and fires like 95% of the 19, but it carries like 50% of it.

The 42 actually is closer to the Shield Than it's size suggests. On paper and in numerical measurements it is smaller (I myself have pointed this out in other threads), but in the hand it is not that much different. And it's actually a little bigger than the CM9.  Both of course in 9mm not 380.  

In the end, it comes down to The fact that the 26 is small enough for me to tuck and conceal, I wore business casual to the range and brought my raven iwb to check.  it shares 19 mags and I don't have to compromise on A 380.

Aim ships free so I'll probably go that route.

Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Personally, I'd go with an XDS 3.3" in 9mm or wait a year until Glock releases their single stack 9mm. Both will be greater options that the 42 just based on 9mm vs. .380. IMHO
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I think you made a wise and logical decision.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well I decided I would settle this and went to the range today to rent the guns

I picked up the 42 and Knew it was not for me, I rented the 26 and it was  butter.

It feels and fires like 95% of the 19, but it carries like 50% of it.
The 42 actually is closer to the Shield Than it's size suggests. On paper and in numerical measurements it is smaller (I myself have pointed this out in other threads), but in the hand it is not that much different. And it's actually a little bigger than the CM9.  Both of course in 9mm not 380.  

In the end, it comes down to The fact that the 26 is small enough for me to tuck and conceal, I wore business casual to the range and brought my raven iwb to check.  it shares 19 mags and I don't have to compromise on A 380.

Aim ships free so I'll probably go that route.

Thanks for all the input!
View Quote

YES!  I carry a 23 for work and the 26 some off work (its the wife's gun but she is a fan of yoga pants and flip flops and doesn't carry enough).  I carry in a forward tilt holster (Brommeland max-con V) and a good belt at 430 and it disappears
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Picking it up tonight.

Found a local deal for 480$ used 3 mags.

He agreed to a huge discount  if I make the hour drive to him.

I just or a new accord sport that needs some highway time so that was an easy "yes".

Now onto holsters.   :-)

How much smaller can a 26 holster be than a 19 holster.

Should I get new ones just for the 26 for suit carry?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't bother with new holsters.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Picking it up tonight.

Found a local deal for 480$ used 3 mags.

He agreed to a huge discount  if I make the hour drive to him.

I just or a new accord sport that needs some highway time so that was an easy "yes".

Now onto holsters.   :-)

How much smaller can a 26 holster be than a 19 holster.

Should I get new ones just for the 26 for suit carry?
View Quote

My G19 and G26 share holsters
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Took it out to the range today, holy hell do I shoot this gun well. Even better at 25 yards then at five

Perfect perfect perfect.

Currently in a shadow holster for my weekday Belt, and I ordered a belt man for my 1.25 inch belt loops when I wear a suit on the weekend.

So happy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I love the 26, it is my most carried gun
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The G26 is too big for pocket carry, that's really what you need to know.  If you want to pocket carry get the 42.  

The 26 is a good ankle gun, that's probably where it actually fills a nice role/  

View Quote

this is a pretty good synopsis.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#34]
if you really get down to it and are looking at a .380 the Bersa single stack .380 is the gun you want to try and hide. extremely reliable, every easy to carry.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With the 26 you keep 9mm a better round overall, mag sharing with the 19 you already have and neglible thickness over the 42 for carry with a good belt and holster.

Figure spending at least $100 on a good holster and belt, preferably that much for each.  

The 42 get you a little smaller frame and a weaker round and no mag compatibility

If I were new to CCW the 42 may reel me in but you having a 19 already pushes me toward the 26..  

View Quote

Came to post pretty much this
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I am 275lb and have XL hands.   Carry the G42 in back pocket in superfly.   Very comfortable even when sitting--really zero printing.   I believe the underpowered chatter about 380 ACP is mostly internet dribble--unless the BG is wearing body armor.  Shootability is key and the new SD ammo will be more than effective at CCW ranges.     I can buy and/or carry any pistol I want.   G42 is the one for CCW.... just great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I ordered a beltman 1.25" for dress use, and going to order a new holster as well.

This way I don't have to change clips every friday and sunday.

Also, I noticed my weekday carry position is too high for dress suit use, the rear corner of teh gun prints pretty hard when the suit is snug.  I leave my 19 high usually for a quick draw, but alsways under a free flowing polo.  Dress matters I guess, gotta lower the G26 holster a bit.

thanks again for all your help.

Can't believe I ever carried a 380.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Any source on this single stack glock 9 rumor? A shield sized Glock 9 would be my next purchase if it existed.

Quoted:
I don't like the whole concept of the shield, it is pretty much the same exact size of the compact, just thinner.

My other objections – The hinged trigger and external  safety lever – have both been dealt with by the factory or aftermarket.

Honestly, I don't see what the shield does that the pm/CM nine doesn't do better for that category.

View Quote

Most people's problems with guns is the thickness not the size. If I could get a Glock 19 size gun that has a max thickness of around .75" or .8" I'd consider that a perfect CCW. Thin enough to disappear under a t-shirt and thin enough to by comfortable IWB.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any source on single stack glock 9 rumor? A shield sized Glock 9 would be my next purchase if it existed.

Most people's problems with guns is the thickness not the size. If I could get a Glock 19 size gun that has a max thickness of around .75" or .8" I'd consider that a perfect CCW. Thin enough to disappear under a t-shirt and thin enough to by comfortable IWB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Any source on single stack glock 9 rumor? A shield sized Glock 9 would be my next purchase if it existed.

Quoted:

The new Khar series
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top