Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2014 9:11:00 PM EDT
6 years ago I was a pretty quick swimmer and I want to get back into it as I am starting to gain weight.  The problem is I cannot find a method of carry that does not either leave me unarmed for the entire trip or with the high potential for my pistol to be stolen.  Any suggestions?  I would throw a set of maritime spring cups in my G19 if I could pull off not printing in a speedo
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You want to carry a gun on your person as you swim?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
There are times and places one cannot realistically carry all the time.  The pool at the gym seems like one of those places.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Will have to stay in the car I reckon.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My suggestion? Don't wear a speedo. As for the gun I would say leave it in the car it would be rough to keep concealed without the risk of being stolen or seen.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hire a body guard or dig your own pool.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will have to stay in the car I reckon.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Theres ways to keep a gun on you while you workout or go for runs, but swimming requires you completely disarm, then take your eyes off of your weapon.  Unless you are ok with taking a mini gun safe with you and then tethering that safe to a pool chair, you have no options that are 'safe' from thieves.  Wrapping a gun in a towel or leaving it in a backpack you take with you and then put beside the pool are really your only options unless you want to lose your gym membership.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Learn karate?  IDK  sometimes you just have to realize CC 24/7 is not practical and can become prohibitive to enjoying life.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IDK  sometimes you just have to realize CC 24/7 is not practical and can become prohibitive to enjoying life.
View Quote

This. Not much more to say.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
6 years ago I was a pretty quick swimmer and I want to get back into it as I am starting to gain weight.  The problem is I cannot find a method of carry that does not either leave me unarmed for the entire trip or with the high potential for my pistol to be stolen.  Any suggestions?  I would throw a set of maritime spring cups in my G19 if I could pull off not printing in a speedo
View Quote

I go to a pool near my house frequently.  My CC stays locked up at home.  I don't like the idea of leaving it unattended in a vehicle, unattended off body, and the efforts to CC are not reasonable.  

I suppose if I was headed to a pool on an undercover spy missionI might look into a deep concealment holster combined with a very small gun and experiment with some ziploc bags.  But for actually swimming to exercise I can't imagine there is a realistic way to effectively CC a pistol.  Keep it at home.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
WTF ???

Seriously you need to move right now.

Get out of that fucked up place you live in.

It has to be fucked up if you need to carry while swimming in a pool.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Learn karate?  IDK  sometimes you just have to realize CC 24/7 is not practical and can become prohibitive to enjoying life.
View Quote
This. But there are options.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Lcp in a zip lock in the pocket of your boardshorts?

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]

OP... keep on keeping on.

ETA: put your gun in your hand... then put a opaque bag over your gun and your hand. Rubber band the opening of the bag so it is closed... problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
"Keister" a NAA 22 revolver? Be careful not to snag the hammer when you draw.

In all seriousness, there are times when you just won't have a gun.  Do you keep a gun in your shower?  What about when you're in the sack?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are times and places one cannot realistically carry all the time.  The pool at the gym seems like one of those places.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't know about the pool but my stuff goes in a pretty little make up bag at the beach.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I was at the gym today and started laughing because I thought about this thread.  Made me start thinking about how I would CC and be comfortable using machines/ free weights.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Wear one of those rubber swim caps and put in between the cap and the top of your head.  If you get a red one, it will look like the comb on top of a rooster's head.
No one will notice.  
Serious answer?

When I go to the gym I lock mine up in the locker.  Yeah, it's not on me, but it's closer than the truck.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got lots of swimming time with full sized guns but I don't think you want to go my route.  I would suggest as you look at a small pocket pistol in a ziplock bag carried in your swimtrunks pocket.  Swimming pools are not saltwater so easier maintence if you do get it wet.  I just normally swim in the pool with my Syderco clipped inside the shorts, gun locked up in the truck.

CD

ETA  When I run/workout I use a Bianchi Belly Band to hold my Smith 442.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Zip lock?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDK  sometimes you just have to realize CC 24/7 is not practical and can become prohibitive to enjoying life.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#24]
It amazes me that some people on this site even get out of the basement.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got lots of swimming time with full sized guns but I don't think you want to go my route.  I would suggest as you look at a small pocket pistol in a ziplock bag carried in your swimtrunks pocket.  Swimming pools are not saltwater so easier maintence if you do get it wet.  I just normally swim in the pool with my Syderco clipped inside the shorts, gun locked up in the truck.

CD

ETA  When I run/workout I use a Bianchi Belly Band to hold my Smith 442.
View Quote

Chlorine is a very good oxidizer as well, I'd just as soon leave the gun in the truck too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Keister" a NAA 22 revolver? Be careful not to snag the hammer when you draw.

In all seriousness, there are times when you just won't have a gun.  Do you keep a gun in your shower?  What about when you're in the sack?
View Quote

You can build a waterproof box and take a shower with your pistol (I have not done this yet):

DIY: $15 Shower Gun Box

When I sleep I use a Blackhawk Bedside holster that fit between the mattress and box spring. The holster is large enough to have handgun and a light mounted to the handgun.

Blackhawk Bedside Holster

If am carrying on my car then a use a Gum Creek Vehicle Holster.

Gum Creek Vehicle Holster

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I manage a public pool.  No way in hell I would leave my gun in the car or a locker there.  Too many break ins, however, I know at least 3 of our patrons that do.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
iwb or pocket (depending on what im doing) lcp w/1reload. never been spotted

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I hate threads like this, go to a dif a gym dude where you don't feel like you will need to wear a gun.

You can't safely put a gun in a bag next to the pool unless you are just going to sit in the pool and stare at your gym bag.

Stupid thread...
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
WTF ???

View Quote

+1 Sometimes your CCing is just not practical. Or you could just go in there Waving it around. CC it in your Speedos make it look like a banana hammock. Speaking of stupid questions. You have got to be kidding right?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you heard about the people who smuggle guns into jails...try that.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Keep your gun in a car. There is no safe place to carry at a gym even with a locker. Be safe and be smart.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I lock mine in my locker.

a. I use a quality lock
b. I don't workout in a place frequented by animals and thieves

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#36]
duct tape the gun to your chest
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's crazy talk.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iv'e been to the beach  several times wearing swim trunks and using a Belly Band to carry.

There is a bulge if I don't wear a Tshirt but that's if I carry my P229 or P3S0 M642 is easier
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
WTF ???

View Quote

I carry/swim/fish/walk beach . Really I do all 3 walk while fishing and swim when I get over heated.

One could go miles without seeing another person!
Plus Ive had gators swim behind me as I`m fishing the sandbar.

Not to mention the sharks and crocks, panthers , black bears. and the evil humans who prey on the tourist  !

So far I haven't shot any crocs or gators or panthers or bears but I have shot a few sharks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hire a body guard or dig your own pool.  
View Quote

This. Everything's better with an overwatch

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I've had pretty good luck with the following method:  have your swimbuddy lend you his poncho.  Place anything you wish to keep dry on top of his poncho.  I recommend placing your rucks in the middle and the boomsticks on either side.  Snap your poncho to his and roll up the sides as best you can to keep the edges above the waterline and water out.  Oh yeah, be sure to cinch the hoods down good and tight.  If you toss this thing in the obstacle, you and your buddy now have a kick board which should keep most of your stuff dry and more importantly your rucks afloat until you get to the other side.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#42]
If you're in a pool, you are pretty safe since certain members of society can't swim too well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#43]
good question,

i was going to participate in this crossfit competition, so ill be doing a lot of squats, running, and hand stand pushups... i was wondering where i could carry my S&W 500 (snub nose of course, dont want to be a little overzealous)

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Ruger LCP stuffed in a tied condom in the butthole... Maybe a piece of paracord for a drawing device...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ruger LCP stuffed in a tied condom in the butthole... Maybe a piece of paracord for a drawing device...

View Quote

This is the most realistic response considering the OP. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you're in a pool, you are pretty safe since certain members of society can't swim too well.
View Quote

shame on you
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet that hurts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top