Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 9:08:57 PM EDT
Im in MN and I have my permit to carry. I ALWAYS carry.

However, there are times when I cant bring my pistol with into places.
For example, I cannot pick up my son from daycare with a pistol on my hip. Also, if im responding to a fire
or an accident/medical, my department doesn't want us carrying our guns.. and the station is usually unsecure.
so what im trying to figure out is - If I leave my car for any of those reasons or the like, with my pistol secured in my car.
either mag in or out in a center counsel or glove box or lock box etc, am I breaking any laws?
Keep in mind, I would never store my pistol in my car overnight or for extended periods.
some are saying its illegal, some not.          please show references.

thanks
Wissota4

edit:16apr14 to clarify.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
tag for reply
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if its illegal in mn but it isn't a good idea
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Not illegal, but a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
edited to clarify a little.
thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Pressed for time, but I would think this would have the info you need:

Handgunlaws.us

If not there are links at the top of that page that should have your answer.  I'll be up there in June to watch my son graduate HS, so I wonder the same thing.  My guess is that you can secure your weapon in a locked car, with it out of sight and it's legal, but hit the link(s) for verification.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that if you leave it in your vehicle it does not fall under the PTC statutes, but standard transportation of a firearm statutes and would therefore be illegal if left loaded (97B.045 TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS).  

If its unloaded and in a locked compartment (something other than the trunk), I'm still a little uncertain under 624.714 CARRYING OF WEAPONS WITHOUT PERMIT; PENALTIES..  

Subd. 9. doesn't reference exactly where the handgun must be locked up ....

(5) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.

But the title of that subsection of that statute is titled "Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice." so it feels like it's limited in scope to taking the firearms to the range or a location for repair.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope not illegal but buy a lock box at least. It would be illegal though if someone without a permit were to drive it even if they did not know it is there but as long as you are the only driver or at least and occupant in the vehicle it is legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top