Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 7:55:33 PM EDT
I'm looking for an appendix carry holster for my Glock 23 mounted with an Insight M3 light. It seems in the years since I got the light it's not that popular, and most holster makers don't have one to make a mold with. Anyone know a good reference for a kydex holster maker to make me one with the light I have? I don't really want to spend more money on a new light, when the one I have works fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
JM Custom.

I roll with a MP9 Full Size and a TLR-3 in his appendix holster with high ride rigid belt loop.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JM Custom.

I roll with a MP9 Full Size and a TLR-3 in his appendix holster with high ride rigid belt loop.
View Quote

Doesn't list the Insight M3 on the site as a light they make a holster for.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Zero concealment or Bravo for the Insight light option.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try Zero concealment or Bravo for the Insight light option.
View Quote

Bravo looks good, but it looks like they want me to buy the IWB loops instead of offering them as an option when ordering. I'll email them and see if I can have the IWB loops put on standard instead.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If I had that light in the pistol format (I only have it in the long gun setup)

or

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's one I made similar to the holsters posted above

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Email Tony @ JM.  If he doesn't have the light he will buy one for holster making use.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not that common of a light any more really. Send your light to Tony at JM and let him hook it up. It will cost you an extra $5 to ship the light and he'll ship it back with your holster. No biggie.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not that common of a light any more really. Send your light to Tony at JM and let him hook it up. It will cost you an extra $5 to ship the light and he'll ship it back with your holster. No biggie.
View Quote

This is the best option.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, got in touch with him and he said he can do it.

I really want a weapon mounted light for carry now since I don't have a fenced in yard anymore, and the area I live in has some questionable characters out at night, and the dogs gotta get out regardless of where we live. I did enjoy my first night at the new place sitting on my patio overlooking the street and watching a tweaker get into a pretty heated argument with the tree in the yard next door.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice to have the option for sure. No replacement for a good handheld light. Lots of opportunities to light up suspicious characters at night without pointing the pistol at them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice to have the option for sure. No replacement for a good handheld light. Lots of opportunities to light up suspicious characters at night without pointing the pistol at them.
View Quote

^^^  THIS!  

The other thought that has crossed my mind is, 'Why' do you want to slow yourself down with a pistol light?  I do use a tac light; but it's always handheld; and, because I usually work alone, I want to retain the ability to point my light in one direction while my pistol is pointing in another.  I have a lot of experience with pistols and, unless a shooter is supported by a backup team, hanging a light on your pistol is always more of a disadvantage than anything else.  

People often complain about how slow C-3 carry is; well, it ain't; but gun forum denizens nevertheless continue to complain about it.  I'll tell you something:  I'd rather draw an unfettered pistol that's in C-3, anytime, than I would a much slower to move with pistol and light combination.  Neither do I like to flash a tac light on and off with the pistol exactly in front of my body.  If you're lucky and squarely light up the target - fine!  If, however, you're not so luck and miss squarely lighting up the target then you should expect the target to, 'do what he's got to do' and turn off that damned annoying light for ya.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

The other thought that has crossed my mind is, 'Why' do you want to slow yourself down with a pistol light?  I do use a tac light; but it's always handheld; and, because I usually work alone, I want to retain the ability to point my light in one direction while my pistol is pointing in another.  I have a lot of experience with pistols and, unless a shooter is supported by a backup team, hanging a light on your pistol is always more of a disadvantage than anything else.  

People often complain about how slow C-3 carry is; well, it ain't; but gun forum denizens nevertheless continue to complain about it.  I'll tell you something:  I'd rather draw an unfettered pistol that's in C-3, anytime, than I would a much slower to move with pistol and light combination.  Neither do I like to flash a tac light on and off with the pistol exactly in front of my body.  If you're lucky and squarely light up the target - fine!  If, however, you're not so luck and miss squarely lighting up the target then you should expect the target to, 'do what he's got to do' and turn off that damned annoying light for ya.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

I always carry my Streamlight clipped in my left front pocket. In the highly unlikely event I had to use my gun in a low light situation while walking my dogs, I would rather drop a handheld and have a light mounted on my gun, so I can still retain control of my dogs. I hold both leashes in my left hand, and when they're doing their business, they aren't always near enough that I can properly present a gun with a two handed grip. I have practiced quite a bit at one handed shooting, since I know half the time I'm out in public, I have a dog to control also, which has already removed that hand from the fight.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

Do you carry in condition 3?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

Please tell me you are joking.

-Carrying with an empty chamber is a bad idea. Period.
-Weapon mounted lights lead to higher qualification scores vs handheld lights, they are just easier to shoot well.
-How is a condition 3 pistol faster than a condition 1 pistol and light? I'd like to see you articulate your reasoning on that point.
-Nothing prevents you from carrying a handheld AND a weapon mounted light.

ETA: If you're willing to put yourself on video with a timer going from holster to first shot in <1.5 seconds I'd like to see it. I'd wager that you're much slower than you realize.

OP, if you do go with JM let us know what you think. I'm considering one for my G17 w/APL.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:41:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

and we thought the 13'ers were
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  

-Carrying with an empty chamber is a bad idea.  Period.  

-Weapon mounted lights lead to higher qualification scores vs. handheld lights, they are just easier to shoot well.  

-How is a condition 3 pistol faster than a condition 1 pistol and light? I'd like to see you articulate your reasoning on that point.  

ETA:  If you're willing to put yourself on video with a timer going from holster to first shot in <1.5 seconds I'd like to see it. I'd wager that you're much slower than you realize.
View Quote

That’s a very polite reply; and I’m going to try to answer you in kind.  No, I'm not joking.  In fact I think it safe to say that I've got, at least, as much experience at this sort of thing as most of the other pistoleros on this board; BUT, I do understand your incredulity!  

Carrying in C-3 is a bad idea for anyone who might be frequently placed, ‘in harm’s way’.  Otherwise there are distinct advantages to C-3 carry - Especially for civilians.  For instance, out in the real world, I spend a lot of time on public firing lines.  Want to know one of the things that makes me nervous?  You should see some of the Rambo-types that show up locked, loaded, and in C-1.  

I do worry about safe gun-handling and especially with shooters who wear their pistols up to the firing line before removing them to start shooting.  (Which is a principal reason, ‘Why’ I prefer to stand on the far right-hand side of any firing line.)  Actual pistol ambushes are rare events; and, outside of law enforcement it isn’t really necessary for people to walk around in C-1 and, ‘ready-to-go’ all day long.  Macho?  Yes, but actually necessary?  No.  

Allow me, if you will, to share some of the experience I’ve gleaned from a lifetime of using firearms - Occasionally in a hostile environment, too.  My own perception of what a CQB pistol gunfight actually is, and what most people THINK a pistol gunfight will be are markedly different.  The popular concept of being ambushed at close quarters is far less common than many people think.  Furthermore, it’s been my general experience that most people do NOT anticipate well.  

In my experience I’ve found that anticipating well, having a, ‘roving mentality’ and, pretty much, remaining in, ‘Condition Orange’ are worth far more than constantly running the risk(s) of being in C-1 while you’re out 'n about in the midst of a heavily populated urban environment - You know; like, when you’re with your:  family, friends, and neighbors; or taking part in numerous physical/social activities.  There are risks, both real and anticipated, associated with C-1 carry inside a civil environment.  Personally I’ve always preferred to avoid these risks whenever possible.  

Have I, somehow, handicapped myself by so often going around in C-3?  I don’t think so; and I'm fairly certain that neither do any of the people I’ve had to face.  I’m getting older; and I can’t do it anymore; but there was a time when I could:  draw, rack, and fire an accurate shot in less than one second.  I’ve, also, known other gunmen who were particularly faster at this than I’ve ever been.  (So it can’t be honestly said that C-3 carry is a liability.  It’s like anything else in life:  C-3 carry is only a liability if you (1) aren’t good at it, and (2) don’t know how to do it well.)  

As you, now, know I’m one of those gunmen who’ve learned how to anticipate well.  I watch other people around me all of the time; and I’m especially keen on whatever someone else is doing with his hands.  In everyday life this means that I’m not an easy person to surprise; neither am I going to wait to be absolutely positive before I begin to move.  (Which is exactly how law-enforcement personnel are, also, being trained, today.)  So, I’m telling you that contrary to popular internet gun forum opinion, C-1 carry is NOT a panacea for beating the other guy to the draw, and automatically prevailing during your next armed encounter!  

Which is not to say that I’m opposed to C-1 carry.  I’m not.  It’s just that in the always necessary balance that needs to be struck between potential risks and presumed benefits there are both appropriate, and inappropriate times and places in which to employ considerably more risky C-1 carry.  In my own situation C-3 carry has never been a significant liability; but, then again, neither have I ever been your, ‘average Joe with a gun’.  

Yes, I will agree that, ‘Weapon-mounted lights do, indeed, lead to higher qualification scores’.  What, however, does this have to do with real world pistol gunfighting?  I would say very little!  I’ve known and can think of people whom you would definitely not prefer to engage with a weapon-mounted light - At least not without being part of a well organized assault team.  During a coordinated assault, weapon-mounted lights DO SERVE a useful purpose; but, ‘better qualification scores’ is NOT one of those useful purposes.  

You’ve asked, ‘How’ a bare pistol is faster than a pistol with a weapon-mounted light?  Do I really need to answer this?  I’ve been timed on IDPA timers at drawing and firing an accurate shot from a C-1 pistol in anywhere from .35 to .45 second.  (The other guy ain’t going to be able to shoot straight if your bullet has already impacted with his 8 inch diameter COM.)  What have I done out of C-3?  It takes me longer; here I’ve been timed at anywhere from 1.30 to 1.50 seconds.  I've, also, known other pistoleros who were faster; so, admittedly, I'm not the, 'fastest gun in the West'.  Know what, though?  It’s been my experience that, out in the real world, an average person with a gun is NOT able to move either that fast, or that effectively.  

Finally, I’ve never carried two tac lights on my person in my entire life; and no I won’t be putting myself on video.  (I won’t even put my picture on the Internet.)  However, if you search YouTube there are numerous videos of other pistoleros who work quite well out of C-3.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#18]
you should not be giving advice to others on this subject..
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’s a very polite reply; and I’m going to try to answer you in kind.  No, I'm not joking.  In fact I think it safe to say that I've got, at least, as much experience at this sort of thing as most of the other pistoleros on this board; BUT, I do understand your incredulity!  

Carrying in C-3 is a bad idea for anyone who might be frequently placed, ‘in harm’s way’.  Otherwise there are distinct advantages to C-3 carry - Especially for civilians.  For instance, out in the real world, I spend a lot of time on public firing lines.  Want to know one of the things that makes me nervous?  You should see some of the Rambo-types that show up locked, loaded, and in C-1.  

I do worry about safe gun-handling and especially with shooters who wear their pistols up to the firing line before removing them to start shooting.  (Which is a principal reason, ‘Why’ I prefer to stand on the far right-hand side of any firing line.)  Actual pistol ambushes are rare events; and, outside of law enforcement it isn’t really necessary for people to walk around in C-1 and, ‘ready-to-go’ all day long.  Macho?  Yes, but actually necessary?  No.  

Allow me, if you will, to share some of the experience I’ve gleaned from a lifetime of using firearms - Occasionally in a hostile environment, too.  My own perception of what a CQB pistol gunfight actually is, and what most people THINK a pistol gunfight will be are markedly different.  The popular concept of being ambushed at close quarters is far less common than many people think.  Furthermore, it’s been my general experience that most people do NOT anticipate well.  No. In fact, the absolute converse is true - the vast majority of predatory violence is 'ambush' style. It's exceedingly ironic to see someone comment on the difference between popular perception and reality immediately before sharing such a huge misperception. Rory Miller does a far better job of answering this very issue than I can, and you really, really need to read his work. I have dealt with the aftermath of well over a hundred predatory assaults, and they've virtually all been ambushes.

In my experience I’ve found that anticipating well, having a, ‘roving mentality’ and, pretty much, remaining in, ‘Condition Orange’ are worth far more than constantly running the risk(s) of being in C-1 while you’re out 'n about in the midst of a heavily populated urban environment - You know; like, when you’re with your:  family, friends, and neighbors; or taking part in numerous physical/social activities.  There are risks, both real and anticipated, associated with C-1 carry inside a civil environment.  Personally I’ve always preferred to avoid these risks whenever possible.  Your belief that one can remain in 'condition orange' on a habitual basis indicates either a paranoid pathology or a misunderstanding of the whole color code concept. I hope for your benefit that you meant 'condition yellow'. Situational awareness is a vital part of safety, but, unless you live and work in an isolated environment, strangers intrude on your bubble on a constant basis. Assaults happen closer, faster, more suddenly and with more power than most people realize. That's why professionals invest in 'high percentage techniques' that work well under extreme surprise and duress.

Have I, somehow, handicapped myself by so often going around in C-3?  I don’t think so; and I'm fairly certain that neither do any of the people I’ve had to face.  I’m getting older; and I can’t do it anymore; but there was a time when I could:  draw, rack, and fire an accurate shot in less than one second.  I’ve, also, known other gunmen who were particularly faster at this than I’ve ever been.  (So it can’t be honestly said that C-3 carry is a liability.  It’s like anything else in life:  C-3 carry is only a liability if you (1) aren’t good at it, and (2) don’t know how to do it well.) Condition three carry is predicated on the belief that you'll have two hands free and at least a modicum of distance to work with, both of which have been shown to be unlikely. One of our own members, Blitz, would be dead today if he subscribed to your theory on the subject. For that matter, I perform fine motor skills under extreme stress for a living, and teach others to do the same. Dramatically complicating something you may well need to do under extreme stress and time limitations is utter foolishness. Condition three is also a solution in search of a problem; if you're that concerned about your own ability to handle a firearm safely, either seek remedial training or don't carry a gun. If you're concerned about being disarmed (which would be an interesting admission given your claim of situational awareness that guarantees safety from surprise), there are quite a few excellent retention holsters on the market. Retention training should also be a part of your unarmed / transition training.

As you, now, know I’m one of those gunmen who’ve learned how to anticipate well.  I watch other people around me all of the time; and I’m especially keen on whatever someone else is doing with his hands.  In everyday life this means that I’m not an easy person to surprise; neither am I going to wait to be absolutely positive before I begin to move.  (Which is exactly how law-enforcement personnel are, also, being trained, today.)  So, I’m telling you that contrary to popular internet gun forum opinion, C-1 carry is NOT a panacea for beating the other guy to the draw, and automatically prevailing during your next armed encounter!  Nothing is a panacea for such. That's why the astute individual stacks the deck as much as he can before a potential encounter. Waiting until you're being attacked to load your gun is simply stupid.

Which is not to say that I’m opposed to C-1 carry.  I’m not.  It’s just that in the always necessary balance that needs to be struck between potential risks and presumed benefits there are both appropriate, and inappropriate times and places in which to employ considerably more risky C-1 carry.  In my own situation C-3 carry has never been a significant liability; but, then again, neither have I ever been your, ‘average Joe with a gun’.  One of the few things I can think of that would be more foolish than walking around with an unloaded weapon is periodically changing the condition in which you carry. You hint hard at having extensive experience working in an adrenalized state, but your beliefs really do show otherwise.

Yes, I will agree that, ‘Weapon-mounted lights do, indeed, lead to higher qualification scores’.  What, however, does this have to do with real world pistol gunfighting?  I would say very little!  I’ve known and can think of people whom you would definitely not prefer to engage with a weapon-mounted light - At least not without being part of a well organized assault team.  During a coordinated assault, weapon-mounted lights DO SERVE a useful purpose; but, ‘better qualification scores’ is NOT one of those useful purposes.  

You’ve asked, ‘How’ a bare pistol is faster than a pistol with a weapon-mounted light?  Do I really need to answer this? Yes  I’ve been timed on IDPA timers at drawing and firing an accurate shot from a C-1 pistol in anywhere from .35 to .45 second.  (The other guy ain’t going to be able to shoot straight if your bullet has already impacted with his 8 inch diameter COM.)  What have I done out of C-3?  It takes me longer; here I’ve been timed at anywhere from 1.30 to 1.50 seconds.  I've, also, known other pistoleros who were faster; so, admittedly, I'm not the, 'fastest gun in the West'.  Know what, though?  It’s been my experience that, out in the real world, an average person with a gun is NOT able to move either that fast, or that effectively.  And that answers the question... how? I've shot extensively, both with and without a WML, and I fail to understand how exactly you believe the WML slows a shooter down.

Finally, I’ve never carried two tac lights on my person in my entire life; and no I won’t be putting myself on video.  (I won’t even put my picture on the Internet.)  However, if you search YouTube there are numerous videos of other pistoleros who work quite well out of C-3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

-Weapon mounted lights lead to higher qualification scores vs. handheld lights, they are just easier to shoot well.  

ETA:  If you're willing to put yourself on video with a timer going from holster to first shot in <1.5 seconds I'd like to see it. I'd wager that you're much slower than you realize.

Allow me, if you will, to share some of the experience I’ve gleaned from a lifetime of using firearms - Occasionally in a hostile environment, too.  My own perception of what a CQB pistol gunfight actually is, and what most people THINK a pistol gunfight will be are markedly different.  The popular concept of being ambushed at close quarters is far less common than many people think.  Furthermore, it’s been my general experience that most people do NOT anticipate well.  No. In fact, the absolute converse is true - the vast majority of predatory violence is 'ambush' style. It's exceedingly ironic to see someone comment on the difference between popular perception and reality immediately before sharing such a huge misperception. Rory Miller does a far better job of answering this very issue than I can, and you really, really need to read his work. I have dealt with the aftermath of well over a hundred predatory assaults, and they've virtually all been ambushes.

In my experience I’ve found that anticipating well, having a, ‘roving mentality’ and, pretty much, remaining in, ‘Condition Orange’ are worth far more than constantly running the risk(s) of being in C-1 while you’re out 'n about in the midst of a heavily populated urban environment - You know; like, when you’re with your:  family, friends, and neighbors; or taking part in numerous physical/social activities.  There are risks, both real and anticipated, associated with C-1 carry inside a civil environment.  Personally I’ve always preferred to avoid these risks whenever possible.  Your belief that one can remain in 'condition orange' on a habitual basis indicates either a paranoid pathology or a misunderstanding of the whole color code concept. I hope for your benefit that you meant 'condition yellow'. Situational awareness is a vital part of safety, but, unless you live and work in an isolated environment, strangers intrude on your bubble on a constant basis. Assaults happen closer, faster, more suddenly and with more power than most people realize. That's why professionals invest in 'high percentage techniques' that work well under extreme surprise and duress.

Have I, somehow, handicapped myself by so often going around in C-3?  I don’t think so; and I'm fairly certain that neither do any of the people I’ve had to face.  I’m getting older; and I can’t do it anymore; but there was a time when I could:  draw, rack, and fire an accurate shot in less than one second.  I’ve, also, known other gunmen who were particularly faster at this than I’ve ever been.  (So it can’t be honestly said that C-3 carry is a liability.  It’s like anything else in life:  C-3 carry is only a liability if you (1) aren’t good at it, and (2) don’t know how to do it well.) Condition three carry is predicated on the belief that you'll have two hands free and at least a modicum of distance to work with, both of which have been shown to be unlikely. One of our own members, Blitz, would be dead today if he subscribed to your theory on the subject. For that matter, I perform fine motor skills under extreme stress for a living, and teach others to do the same. Dramatically complicating something you may well need to do under extreme stress and time limitations is utter foolishness. Condition three is also a solution in search of a problem; if you're that concerned about your own ability to handle a firearm safely, either seek remedial training or don't carry a gun. If you're concerned about being disarmed (which would be an interesting admission given your claim of situational awareness that guarantees safety from surprise), there are quite a few excellent retention holsters on the market. Retention training should also be a part of your unarmed / transition training.

As you, now, know I’m one of those gunmen who’ve learned how to anticipate well.  I watch other people around me all of the time; and I’m especially keen on whatever someone else is doing with his hands.  In everyday life this means that I’m not an easy person to surprise; neither am I going to wait to be absolutely positive before I begin to move.  (Which is exactly how law-enforcement personnel are, also, being trained, today.)  So, I’m telling you that contrary to popular internet gun forum opinion, C-1 carry is NOT a panacea for beating the other guy to the draw, and automatically prevailing during your next armed encounter!  Nothing is a panacea for such. That's why the astute individual stacks the deck as much as he can before a potential encounter. Waiting until you're being attacked to load your gun is simply stupid.

Which is not to say that I’m opposed to C-1 carry.  I’m not.  It’s just that in the always necessary balance that needs to be struck between potential risks and presumed benefits there are both appropriate, and inappropriate times and places in which to employ considerably more risky C-1 carry.  In my own situation C-3 carry has never been a significant liability; but, then again, neither have I ever been your, ‘average Joe with a gun’.  One of the few things I can think of that would be more foolish than walking around with an unloaded weapon is periodically changing the condition in which you carry. You hint hard at having extensive experience working in an adrenalized state, but your beliefs really do show otherwise.

You’ve asked, ‘How’ a bare pistol is faster than a pistol with a weapon-mounted light?  Do I really need to answer this? Yes  I’ve been timed on IDPA timers at drawing and firing an accurate shot from a C-1 pistol in anywhere from .35 to .45 second.  (The other guy ain’t going to be able to shoot straight if your bullet has already impacted with his 8 inch diameter COM.)  What have I done out of C-3?  It takes me longer; here I’ve been timed at anywhere from 1.30 to 1.50 seconds.  I've, also, known other pistoleros who were faster; so, admittedly, I'm not the, 'fastest gun in the West'.  Know what, though?  It’s been my experience that, out in the real world, an average person with a gun is NOT able to move either that fast, or that effectively.  And that answers the question... how? I've shot extensively, both with and without a WML, and I fail to understand how exactly you believe the WML slows a shooter down.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Allow me, if you will, to share some of the experience I’ve gleaned from a lifetime of using firearms - Occasionally in a hostile environment, too.  My own perception of what a CQB pistol gunfight actually is, and what most people THINK a pistol gunfight will be are markedly different.  The popular concept of being ambushed at close quarters is far less common than many people think.  Furthermore, it’s been my general experience that most people do NOT anticipate well.  

In my experience I’ve found that anticipating well, having a, ‘roving mentality’ and, pretty much, remaining in, ‘Condition Orange’ are worth far more than constantly running the risk(s) of being in C-1 while you’re out 'n about in the midst of a heavily populated urban environment - You know; like, when you’re with your:  family, friends, and neighbors; or taking part in numerous physical/social activities.  There are risks, both real and anticipated, associated with C-1 carry inside a civil environment.  Personally I’ve always preferred to avoid these risks whenever possible.  

Have I, somehow, handicapped myself by so often going around in C-3?  I don’t think so; and I'm fairly certain that neither do any of the people I’ve had to face.  I’m getting older; and I can’t do it anymore; but there was a time when I could:  draw, rack, and fire an accurate shot in less than one second.  I’ve, also, known other gunmen who were particularly faster at this than I’ve ever been.  (So it can’t be honestly said that C-3 carry is a liability.  It’s like anything else in life:  C-3 carry is only a liability if you (1) aren’t good at it, and (2) don’t know how to do it well.)  

As you, now, know I’m one of those gunmen who’ve learned how to anticipate well.  I watch other people around me all of the time; and I’m especially keen on whatever someone else is doing with his hands.  In everyday life this means that I’m not an easy person to surprise; neither am I going to wait to be absolutely positive before I begin to move.  (Which is exactly how law-enforcement personnel are, also, being trained, today.)  So, I’m telling you that contrary to popular internet gun forum opinion, C-1 carry is NOT a panacea for beating the other guy to the draw, and automatically prevailing during your next armed encounter!  

Which is not to say that I’m opposed to C-1 carry.  I’m not.  It’s just that in the always necessary balance that needs to be struck between potential risks and presumed benefits there are both appropriate, and inappropriate times and places in which to employ considerably more risky C-1 carry.  In my own situation C-3 carry has never been a significant liability; but, then again, neither have I ever been your, ‘average Joe with a gun’.  

You’ve asked, ‘How’ a bare pistol is faster than a pistol with a weapon-mounted light?  Do I really need to answer this?  I’ve been timed on IDPA timers at drawing and firing an accurate shot from a C-1 pistol in anywhere from .35 to .45 second.  (The other guy ain’t going to be able to shoot straight if your bullet has already impacted with his 8 inch diameter COM.)  What have I done out of C-3?  It takes me longer; here I’ve been timed at anywhere from 1.30 to 1.50 seconds.  I've, also, known other pistoleros who were faster; so, admittedly, I'm not the, 'fastest gun in the West'.  Know what, though?  It’s been my experience that, out in the real world, an average person with a gun is NOT able to move either that fast, or that effectively.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

Yikes.   If your running around giving people advice on how to defend them selves with a gun, your going to seriously limit their ability to do so. I am not a pro. Nor do I carry a gun for a living. I do carry one to continue living. With that said. Is what I have done is paid people who do, to teach me. I have taken HG1, a 2 day Active shooter class. HG2 and a Low light/no light class. All from accredited schools. All of those instructors would laugh at you. The last two classes were with  Mil SF guys. I think they know a thing or two about weapon mounted lights and the like. They would tell you your sorely mistaken. All though not nearly as nicely.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

Holy balls. What did I just read? This is arfcom so why not get both. My CC is a Glock 23 with a TLR1 in an IWB hybrid. I also carry a surefire e2d led defender in my front left pocket. Why would you carry without a round chambered? If you're that insecure about safely carrying a loaded pistol, I'm gonna suggest additional training, especially with one handed firearm operation. I do carry a gun for a living and I don't leave the house unless I am armed. I'm not slower at anything with a WML, and you apparently don't know how to properly operate a WML. If your engaging a target you light him up to engage then turn the light off and move. Your not standing still, you should constantly be moving and only turning the light on when you're engaging targets. This technique also has a decent probability of screwing up your targets night vision while keeping yours intact, which gives an obvious advantage in a firefight
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
LOL
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Well that proves my smiley was accurate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#24]
 Hey, you either get it; or you don't.  

I'm living in a country that's taking an, 'express train ride to Hell'; and nobody knows either where they're going, or how they got there.  Don't think that because someone's taken a few gun courses he's better with a gun than I am.  I'm 100% positive that I've got much more experience, and been much more successful at these things than most of the other pistoleros on this board.  

If I'm stretching anyone's credulity or (more likely) his ability to reason I'll stop.  I don't go onto internet gun forums in order to argue.  Think whatever you like; do whatever you like.  It truly doesn't matter to me.  As I said, you either get it; or you don't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I like the word "pistoleros ".  I may start useing it to describe myself........as long as I don't have to carry in C3 without a WML.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL2

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm living in a country that's taking an, 'express train ride to Hell'; and nobody knows either where they're going, or how they got there.  Don't think that because someone's taken a few gun courses he's better with a gun than I am.  I'm 100% positive that I've got much more experience, and been much more successful at these things than most of the other pistoleros on this board.  

If I'm stretching anyone's credulity or (more likely) his ability to reason I'll stop.  I don't go onto internet gun forums in order to argue.  Think whatever you like; do whatever you like.  It truly doesn't matter to me.  As I said, you either get it; or you don't.
View Quote

Sir, you've offered absolutely nothing to support your position, so other's ability to reason has played no role in their consideration of your statements. You've claimed that ambush attacks are rare. I've explained how and why I know such to be patently false, but you've offered absolutely nothing to support your posit. You've claimed to spend your life in condition orange, when context made it clear that you meant condition yellow, betraying a basic misunderstanding of the semantics of the philosophy you were citing. You've claimed that carrying with a round chambered is "considerably more risky" than carrying chamber clear, but the only "example" of such you've cited to support that is that people walking up to firing lines with loaded pistols scares you.   You've claimed that a WML makes a pistol somehow "much slower" to present than an "unfettered" pistol, but when asked to elucidate, your response was to act indignant ("do I really need to answer this?") and cite your IDPA times, making no correlation between such and the same evolution with a WML. You've hinted at a serious background as a gunman and "pistolero", but have carefully danced around actually offering any credential. Then, when all of this is met with skepticism, your response is to blame the reader's ability to reason.

So here's the deal -  you're invited to a polite discourse on the subjects at hand. You're invited to actually support your positions.

Why do you believe that ambush attacks are rare? How do you reconcile that with Rory Miller's observations or Stewart McGill's analysis of the ten most common types of violent street crime?

Do you really spend your life walking around fixating on specific targets, or did you mean that you tend to remain in condition yellow?

What, specifically, do you see as "considerably more risky" about carrying in condition one rather than condition three? Are you concerned about your own weapon handling / safety, or are you more concerned about being disarmed? If it's the second, how do you reconcile that with your belief that your situational awareness is so strong?

How do you reconcile your belief that condition three is viable with the experience and teaching of instructors like Southnarc, Rory Miller and Hock Hochheim?

You keep citing your own experience and expertise, and you claim to be among the most experienced gunmen / "pistoleros" on a board inhabited by the likes of Mas Ayoob, Pat Rogers and many combat veterans. What exactly are your credentials? While I'm not claiming to be a gunman or "pistolero", or simply demanding that other's believe me because I'm an expert, I'll be glad to offer my credentials first if that alleviates your discomfort.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I find it amusing that people refer to what "condition" they carry in, yet eschew the advice of the inventor of that concept.

While it is true that Colonel Cooper taught his troops to draw from a full flap holster, cycle (chamber) and fire with combat accuracy in under two seconds, he did so because DoD regulations in effect required them to be carried that way.

In the real world, Cooper not only advocated carrying in Condition 1, but also took a drastic step away from the military practice of carrying only 5 FMJ hardball rounds, and carried 7 (or 8) hollowpoints.

You really need to get some force-on-force training with simunitions, not airsoft, under your belt.

Corrected
View Quote

Well put
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

And you obviously don't. If it works for you, then good on ya. Keep doing it. But it is royally jacked up to have the nerve to give people "advice" that has been proven time and again to be slower with no advantages.
Look at every video on youtube of an individual that has a holstered and concealed weapon against an individual with a concealed knife. The knife man is a simulated bad guy and suddenly attacks while pulling a knife. When the good guys weapon is chambered, he SOMETIMES wins. When he is not chambered he loses every time. Its not about "pistoleros getting in pistol ambushes" or whatever the heck you are talking about.
You need to leave this board if that is the advice you are giving people. There are a lot of new shooters and armed citizens that come to this board to learn. They come to learn mindset, technique, gear and many other things. When they see some guy claiming all this experience that you have give advice, God forbid, they might actually fall for it.
If you are so well vested in the shooting skill set, why don't you post some credentials?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^  THIS!  

You are pretty much wrong about everything.

I have a question......

How do you expect someone to rack their slide with a flashlight in their weak hand?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

Thanks for the thoughtful explanation.

If this works for you, by all means, stick with it.

But You are now even more wrong.  This is to the point where you offering dangerous advice.

Please do not try to pass your method off as anything but working specifically for you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top