Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  
View Quote

So much for intuitively obvious to the casual observer..

Society is victimized in all these cases because of the unique risk that was incurred.  Lawmakers sought to avoid these risks by passing laws to cover in each of these situations.  Felons don't get to carry firearms.. Chronic DWI's don't get to drive.. and in some locales, you don't ride without a helmet.  Saying that these laws should only be enforced if someone actually gets hurt makes the laws moot.  People would just ignore the laws even more than they do now.  This would create a situation where many are put at risk and being put at risk is to be a victim.  Even if nothing bad happened in an individual instance.

It is one thing to object to a law.  It's quite another to say you have unilaterally decided it doesn't apply to you.  I do not support the latter and those that choose that path deserve whatever bad happens to them when they get caught.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
So let us say it is against the law in your locale to ride without a helmet, then if someone does who is the victim? Then lets say someone rides without a helmet where it is not against the law, is the same person a victim?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Society is victimized in all these cases because of the unique risk that was incurred.  Lawmakers sought to avoid these risks by passing laws to cover in each of these situations.  Felons don't get to carry firearms.. Chronic DWI's don't get to drive.. and in some locales, you don't ride without a helmet.  Saying that these laws should only be enforced if someone actually gets hurt makes the laws moot.  People would just ignore the laws even more than they do now.  This would create a situation where many are put at risk and being put at risk is to be a victim.  Even if nothing bad happened in an individual instance.

It is one thing to object to a law.  It's quite another to say you have unilaterally decided it doesn't apply to you.  I do not support the latter and those that choose that path deserve whatever bad happens to them when they get caught.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

The neat thing about the Constitution is that it was written in English.  If you need to be a "wise latina" to determine if something is Constitutional, it probably isn't.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So let us say it is against the law in your locale to ride without a helmet, then if someone does who is the victim? Then lets say someone rides without a helmet where it is not against the law, is the same person a victim?
View Quote

The people in the locale where helmets are required by law decided that is so dangerous to ride a motorcycle without a helmet that medical resources would be expended, insurance rates would be impacted, and uninformed riders must be protected from their own poor judgement to avoided an elevated rate and severity of injury.  There are probably other considerations I'm not thinking of.  The rider without a helmet victimizes this community by bypassing the law they put in place to implement these protections.

In places where helmets are not required the people decided that personal freedoms (and probably a strong motorcycle lobby) trumped these concerns and they pay the price in taxes to build hospital capacity, higher insurance premiums for everyone, and an elevated injury rate among motorcyclists.  When a rider goes without a helmet in this place he is only victimizing himself as this community has chosen to forego the protections regulation would provide.

I don't know the statistics and there are probably organizations on both sides promoting their positions.  Not a topic I have an informed position on.. was just trying to answer your question.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The neat thing about the Constitution is that it was written in English.  If you need to be a "wise latina" to determine if something is Constitutional, it probably isn't.
View Quote

Really?  If it isn't dumbed down to some sub-plebeian use of language then it isn't constitutional?

The constitution was written by the best and brightest of their day.  Very educated.  Very smart.  They spoke multiple languages, had the best educations available, and had a great knowledge of history and our place in it.  It was also written by lawyers creating the framework for future laws so it was crafted very carefully.  Ask someone like Ted Cruz if you have to be smart to understand and interpret the constitution.  I think he would say it takes some brilliance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really?  If it isn't dumbed down to some sub-plebeian use of language then it isn't constitutional?

The constitution was written by the best and brightest of their day.  Very educated.  Very smart.  They spoke multiple languages, had the best educations available, and had a great knowledge of history and our place in it.  It was also written by lawyers creating the framework for future laws so it was crafted very carefully.  Ask someone like Ted Cruz if you have to be smart to understand and interpret the constitution.  I think he would say it takes some brilliance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it depends on what your definition of the word "is", is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am a TN resident and CCW holder. I conceal 95% of the time. TN is voting  in a law saying anyone (not a felon) can open carry without a permit. Local Police chiefs are in the news saying crime rates will increase. What is the hives thoughts on the law change? I am reserving my opinions till a few reply. Thanks

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25207319/mixed-reactions-to-proposed-open-carry-gun-law-in-tennessee
View Quote
How many times will this stupid shit be said before we can call them outright, stupid fucking liars?

Because, that's a stupid fucking lie.  And those who say that, are stupid fucking liars.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How many times will this stupid shit be said before we can call them outright, stupid fucking liars?  

Because, that's a stupid fucking lie.  And those who say that, are stupid fucking liars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a TN resident and CCW holder. I conceal 95% of the time. TN is voting  in a law saying anyone (not a felon) can open carry without a permit. Local Police chiefs are in the news saying crime rates will increase. What is the hives thoughts on the law change? I am reserving my opinions till a few reply. Thanks

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25207319/mixed-reactions-to-proposed-open-carry-gun-law-in-tennessee

How many police chiefs are under investigation by the FBI?  More than one...

Eliminate police chiefs and reduce crime!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top