Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2013 5:36:06 PM EDT
I'm looking to get my CCW permit and while I intend to go to a range and try out different options I figured I could get input from those with a similar frame/body size and carry experience.  I'm a skinny runner 5'9, 135# at best, 29/30" waist. This will be my first handgun purchase, and I assume it will be the only one I get for awhile. So I'm looking for something to carry, but also enjoy at the range. Present thoughts are Glock 19 (heavily leaning toward this), Glock 26, S&W M&P Shield, Kahr CW9, Springfield XD 9.

Preferences are compact 9mm for IWB carry. I know there must be a couple threads like this, and I'm not asking what to buy - just seeing what has worked for others. Thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry a G19 and am probably pretty similar in frame.  6'1 and 165.  Pretty tall and thin.  Still havent perfected the IWB carry at 3:30 without printing...but I just have to realize that no one cares about anyone but themselves and they arent looking at me.

And to throw you for a complete loop...I just bought a full sized M&P40 and have been carrying that for the past couple of days.  It doesnt solve the fact that I look like my back is disfigured, but for some reason it is much more comfortable in my jeans.  I guess it just shows everyone is a little different and you need to just try a few different guns, in different positions, with different holsters.

Good luck to ya!
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Im 170 6' and I feel like I can barely get away with a g19. I have a pm9 that I carry most times and during the winter I go with my g19.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Look into the apendix carry solutions with a compact.

I do it all the time with an M&P 9c with either a cusomized 3Speed holster or a CompTac Spartan Kydex on my own 0 degree canted leather backing when I can get away with having the gun above my belt line.

I'm 5'8", physically fit, 160lbs, and a  32" waist.

Take a look at this thread...
http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_5_23/119307_New_Holster_for_my_Kahr_CM9.html

My customized Spartan kydex with my own leather looks like the following only without cant...

I use a separate belt that is separate from the pants I'm wearing... kinka like this.

So when I'm all set, it looks like this only just off center from 12:00...

Just so you know... the gun doesn't sag because the belt isn't a 'duty' belt that is traditionally endorsed by LEO or Military.  It works much like a flimsy belly band and the 3Speed holsters do.

No clips showing and it is super easy to tuck a shirt.

Very discrete, fast drawing, and easier to defend against theft that when the gun is on or behind the hip.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a 92fs 9 times out of 10. Right holster, belt, and proper clothing goes a long way
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I carry a 92fs 9 times out of 10. Right holster, belt, and proper clothing goes a long way

+1000000

A great belt and holster will be a world of difference. For me I'm 5'9 145. I Wear Walmart jeans ( you want 2" size larger pants for IWB carry ), a white T shirt, and a normal large size T shirt. I carry a full size M&P .40 with no issues. I know you want a compact, but don't rule out a full frame gun. They can be concealed just as easy as a compact.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the biggest gun that you can shoot well and accurately.  The G19 is a great gun, as is the XD line and M&P line, as well as 1911s, BHPs, Sigs, etc.  I have carried a lot and have gone back to Glocks, particularly the G19.  

A huge +1 to the right belt (an actual gun belt, not a sturdy dress belt or just a nylon belt) and a good holster (I like CompTac stuff, but there are lots of great options out there).  Strap it on and go, a little print isnt a big deal, just be careful of your state laws and brandishing and printing.  Carry it often to get used to it, and practice with it on drawing and shooting with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The nylon belt, when worn snugged up to the skin w/o being tight, keeps the gun in the exact same position all day long... very comfortably.

It is no different than the belly band or the straps used with the 3Speed, smartcarry, thunderwear and pistolwear holsters.

If you haven't given it a try, you don't have an educated opinion on this method.

I understand it goes against the grain of traditional instruction, so...
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm 5'8" and 160 pounds and I carry a G26 99% of the time and a G19 the other 1% of the time. I'd recommend that you go with the G26 when the time comes. Why? You're already use to the G19 as far as control, grip angle, accessories go so it'll be a very smooth transition for you. And should you ever decide to carry the 19 you won't have to learn a new system; conversely you can also carry both and use the G26 as a BUG.

As far as concealing you're going to have to dress around your gun. I've found that sport coats and the like work well in cooler to warm weather and a tuckable holster works nice when the weather is hot. I've found that dressing nicely makes people less likely to think that you're carrying.

ETA: I just reread you post and realized that you don't have a G19. However, in true Arfcom fashion I will simply state that you should get both the G19 and the G26.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The nylon belt, when worn snugged up to the skin w/o being tight, keeps the gun in the exact same position all day long... very comfortably.

It is no different than the belly band or the straps used with the 3Speed, smartcarry, thunderwear and pistolwear holsters.

If you haven't given it a try, you don't have an educated opinion on this method.

I wasnt commenting on your setup, I have read of that being done, but have never tried it nor seen pictures of it.  It is definitely an interesting setup, and I dont have an educated opinion of it.  I really like the idea for tucking in and ultimate concealment.  

I was commenting on the standard belt and holster setup, as described above.  That is the way I have carried since I started carrying.  

I would really like to try it, maybe see how it works for me.

OP, carrying is a very personal thing.  Use what works best for you.  Flatuence uses his second belt method and it works well for him and has been recomended for those who wear scrubs or the like, and its definitely a way to consider.  Like he said, it is against traditional instruction, so try a lot, build your holster collection, and use what works best for you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responses everyone! It seems like it makes sense just to get to a range, try everything out and go from there. Flatulence, I haven't seen that method of carry before either, thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm nearly the same size as you. I'm 5'10" 140lbs with a 30" waist. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I could conceal my Glock 19 very well while wearing slim clothes.

ETA: I was carrying that gun at 4-5 o'clock
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]
You are going to want a thin single stack if you are really going to carry it everyday.      

Thank me now and save money, or accumulate them all like I have.  

A g19 is just redicutarded, when there are so many other great options available.

Yes, a lot of guys here live to be über tactical.  They aren't fully prepared unless they have a Battle pistol, a BUG and at least three extra mags for each plus two flashlights, and two knives (2 is one, 1 is none)

I'm guessing you have a more practical mindset, or else you wouldn't be asking.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say a SW Shield, Kahr (the 7 round model), or Walther PPS.

The G19 is awesome but is a pain to carry sometimes. More specifically in normal fitting jeans/t-shirt.

Sure with a proper holster, belt, and clothes you can conceal just about anything. But sometimes dressing around a gun isn't practical.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Cameronswmp9:
Thx for your reply.  I apreciate that you didn't automatically dismiss my method.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasnt commenting on your setup, I have read of that being done, but have never tried it nor seen pictures of it.  It is definitely an interesting setup, and I dont have an educated opinion of it.  I really like the idea for tucking in and ultimate concealment.  

I was commenting on the standard belt and holster setup, as described above.  That is the way I have carried since I started carrying.  

I would really like to try it, maybe see how it works for me.

OP, carrying is a very personal thing.  Use what works best for you.  Flatuence uses his second belt method and it works well for him and has been recomended for those who wear scrubs or the like, and its definitely a way to consider.  Like he said, it is against traditional instruction, so try a lot, build your holster collection, and use what works best for you.

Just to keep things clear, the bolded below is what triggered my need to clarify what is REALLY happening with my chosen system.

I assure you, that my only motive for making sure the facts are repeated in these technical threads is that MORE people carry all day, every day.
As someone who has worn out a 'gun specific' belt, I can factually claim that mutliple 'gun' belts for all occasions is way more expensive than my method.
Tucking with the 'gun' belt and my CompTac Spartan is a major pain in the ass in comparison as well.

Quoted:
I would go with the biggest gun that you can shoot well and accurately.  The G19 is a great gun, as is the XD line and M&P line, as well as 1911s, BHPs, Sigs, etc.  I have carried a lot and have gone back to Glocks, particularly the G19.  

A huge +1 to the right belt (an actual gun belt, not a sturdy dress belt or just a nylon belt) and a good holster (I like CompTac stuff, but there are lots of great options out there).  Strap it on and go, a little print isnt a big deal, just be careful of your state laws and brandishing and printing.  Carry it often to get used to it, and practice with it on drawing and shooting with it.

Right now, you can try this method by grabbing the flimsiest belt you own and snugging it up over your hips with your current IWB holster in your normal position on your waist.  Insert the gun, put on a pair of sweats/shorts/pants, and walk around to see for yourself.  Position the buckel off center, so it doesn't press against the outer pant's button and belt
It is best to have a nylong belt with either the velcro ( no, it does NOT come loose unless you want to take it off.  Drawing the gun doesn't affect the velcro's integrity either ) or buckle clasps.  That way, you can get an EXACT fit around your waist.

The only reason this method won't work is if your have too much belly and / or back fat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Im 5'1" 140lb 30" waist.
My everyday carry is a sr9c in a kholster moved back to about 4:00
Belt is one that I made from heavy "shield" leather.
My dress year round is typically an "A" shirt, long sleeve button up, and jeans. Add a coat or vest when the temperatures drop.

With the slight exception to my jeans (fitted +1") all of my clothes are properly fitted.

Quick runs to the store or going for a walk in more "athletic" wear sees everything moved to the 12:00 position and my stiff leather belt exchanged for a BDU "riggers" belt.
On the off chance that I do wear a t-shirt out in public or an untucked short sleeve button up ive had no problems concealing the sr9 or a 5" 1911 OWB as well.

Its all about finding what works for you. Id say that its taken me about 2 years to finally tailor my clothing appearance + concealability to a point im happy with both.
Others are happy with a 2XL shirt or a fishermans vest. Everyone has their own way.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm about the same size as you op and I'm picking up an xdm 9 compact 3.8 this week ill let you know how it works out
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I am 5'11" and weigh in around 155-158. When I carry it is usually an HK USPc 45 in a CTAC Minotaur IWB holster. I love this holster for concealed carry and will buy another one for my P2000. I could just switch the Kydex body, but I will just keep each rig as a grab and go setup.

The G19 I believe is a similar size and one of those may be in my future. You should have no problem with a pistol that size, in the right holster in the right location.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#18]
XDm 3.8" compact 9mm is what you should also include in that list.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#19]
5'8" 135. I have been carrying an xd9 AIWB daily for several years. It worked great and i loved it, but am currently in the process of transitioning to OWB carry daily.

I would go with a a g19, MP9, or xd9, and not think twice about it if it is gonna be your only pistol for awhile.

Make sure to budget for a quality holster and belt.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm 5'7" and fluctuate between 150 and 135lbs (depending on how much running I do or work/life)

I carry a 1911 most days (a 3.3" sig ultra compact or up to a full size 5") in an IWB leather holster. I wear slim fitting cloths and it hides well

summer time in shorts and a T-shirt I have a S&W bodyguard .308 and it's like I'm not carrying anything but at least it's something

single stack guns work for thin guys like us
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm 5'10 and stay around 145lbs and I can carry my P30S or full size Colt M1991A1 in my Foxx IWB holster no problem while wearing a medium sized t shirt.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
6ft 150 about 30 inch waist

P30s MTAC
P228 crossbreed (about to get an MTAC for it as well)
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.shieldedholsters.com/

Shielded Holster IWB

I wear it between 5-6 o'clock using a Glock 19.

Very happy. Been my daily setup for about 4 years now.

I just ordered & started carrying an Old Faithful appendix IWB.

Just getting broken in & used to the different location, but I am happy so far.

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top