Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2015 8:28:27 PM EDT
I have heard of people fitting modified ak handguards on a vz, and I'm curious if anyone has seen this done? I ask because I want a longer handguard on my vz2008, and while as far as I can tell, nobody makes such an item for the vz, there are a number of aftermarket extended handguards for the ak (like the new magpul hanguard)
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only seen one video of anybody fitting an AK handguard to a vz. However, it didn't work out too well as the handguard from the AK was too short to reach from the receiver to the gas block. I have contacted Strike Industries (their handguard was the one that was fitted to the vz) and they said they have plans (drawing board stage) for a VZ TRAX handguard. No where near completion yet, but once they are, I will be getting one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I can report that the magpul zhukov handguard fits quite well.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That rifle is a vz 2008, other brands might vary.
Modifications to the rifle- remove lower hanguard, handguard retainer, and sling loop.

Modifications to handguard- the four mounting screws must be replaced with longer screws. Buy 4 10-24, 1 1/2" long button head machine screws at the hardware store. Also from the hardware store, you will need 4 aluminum unthreaded spacers, 1/2 inch long, with an inside diameter to fit the 10-24 screws. I paid $4.60 for all these parts.

When you mount the handguard, the spacers go on the screws between the heat shield and the barrel clamp.

Depending upon your choice of upper handguard, you might have some interference. I had to grind a very little bit out of the lower handguard right at the front of the upper handguard, and an even smaller amount out of the upper handguard where it was hitting the rear barrel clamp.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modifications to the rifle- remove lower hanguard, handguard retainer, and sling loop.

Modifications to handguard- the four mounting screws must be replaced with longer screws. Buy 4 10-24, 1 1/2" long button head machine screws at the hardware store. Also from the hardware store, you will need 4 aluminum unthreaded spacers, 1/2 inch long, with an inside diameter to fit the 10-24 screws. I paid $4.60 for all these parts.

When you mount the handguard, the spacers go on the screws between the heat shield and the barrel clamp.

Depending upon your choice of upper handguard, you might have some interference. I had to grind a very little bit out of the lower handguard right at the front of the upper handguard, and an even smaller amount out of the upper handguard where it was hitting the rear barrel clamp.
View Quote

So by removing lower hand guard retainer...are you able to g back and utilize original vz58 handguards?  how did you remove your original HG retainer?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Removing the handguard retainer is a one way trip unfortunately. That said, I have no desire to go back, so I could care less.

As far as removal, I cut it next to the barrel with a hacksaw, and twisted it off with pliers.

I took it to the range today and ran 4 magazines through it as fast as I could without gloves. The handguard got warm, but not burn your hand warm, like if I had done the same thing with the original handguard. At its warmest, it felt like the outside of a hot cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately there are those who do care and would like to to keep their original hand guard retainer.....to each their own.  And glad you threw it out their for warning those who dare.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Very cool. Thanks.

IMO, the VZ is begging for a longer handguard and this seems to be the inexpensive ticket
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top