Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2014 12:01:47 PM EDT
I just ordered a VZ2008 from PSA.  I've read that the handguards get pretty warm.  What's the best option for eliminating that problem?  The after market handguards seem to be crazy expensive (considering what you get).  The Mako brand seems to be the only one that is reasonable cost.  Does that brand take care of the hot handguards?  

Also, I need to add a rail for a scope.  How does adding a 20oz scope affect the balance of the weapon?  Front mount vs rear mount.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just ordered a VZ2008 from PSA.  I've read that the handguards get pretty warm.  What's the best option for eliminating that problem?  The after market handguards seem to be crazy expensive (considering what you get).  The Mako brand seems to be the only one that is reasonable cost.  Does that brand take care of the hot handguards?  

Also, I need to add a rail for a scope.  How does adding a 20oz scope affect the balance of the weapon?  Front mount vs rear mount.
View Quote

Hey jb2c, join this Facebook VZ 58 / VZ 2--8 page there is a guy selling heat shields for $20.00 shipped his name is Chris Stone. I think a lot of guys on the page have ordered and say they work great. Its a drop in part that fits the hand guard perfectly.

If you don't have face book I will search for the guys name and information for you.

Maybe someone will chime in on the scope rail. I have no clue on that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Gloves  
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Mako handguard on mine. I have zero problem with heat now. I have fired mag after mag until the barrel is smoking and the hand guard is not even warm. It has a top and bottom rail and 2 small ones on the side. I have a Bushnell trs-25 that only weighs about 7 oz. It made no difference to the balance of the rifle. I mounted mine on the front. I actually like it better than rear mount because it gives you a better field of view. Besides all the rear mount options are pretty pricey. Not only that but front mount makes it unique and less ARish

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't think the Mako hand guards would accept rails on the top, bottom and sides???  I thought it was top and maybe bottom.  But definitely no side rails.  Is yours an older Mako design?  Or the same as the ones they're selling today?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't think the Mako hand guards would accept rails on the top, bottom and sides???  I thought it was top and maybe bottom.  But definitely no side rails.  Is yours an older Mako design?  Or the same as the ones they're selling today?
View Quote

This is the one I have on mine. It has 2 short rails on each side.

https://www.themakogroup.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1042835&CAT=8686
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]
OK.  Thanks.  My concern would be that the plastic top rail would not hold zero if you mount a scope there.  Has your red dot moved around any?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK.  Thanks.  My concern would be that the plastic top rail would not hold zero if you mount a scope there.  Has your red dot moved around any?
View Quote

I zeroed my red dot when i first mounted it and its held zero ever since. I have probably fired 500 rounds with it. I really don't think you will have a problem with your scope. The rail is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#9]
How did the Czechs deal with the heat when firing full auto ? If a heat shield was needed wouldn't the Czechs have come up with something out of necessity ?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How did the Czechs deal with the heat when firing full auto ? If a heat shield was needed wouldn't the Czechs have come up with something out of necessity ?
View Quote

They only went to war in the winter time it was the only time they kept their hands warm. In the spring and summer semi auto fire and only one full magazine could be shot daily.

That is a good question though I do wonder how they dealt with it. I know my AK when I have ran a lot of rounds through it non stop it gets rather warm.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen pictures of Afghans running VZ's with rags wrapped around the handguards. Primitive but effective
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]

I have the Fab handguards on one of mine, they are good, so are the Czech black ones, though I would never mount an optic to the top rail without shimming it tight first
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top