Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2014 9:41:46 AM EDT
Does anybody know if you can rebarrel a VZ2008 with a military VZ58 barrel and if so who can do the work? Hoping the barrel on it is to mil-spec dimensions.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont take this as authoritative, but I think i heard someone say that the outer dimensions of the military barrel are too small or too large for the CIA receiver. Don't quote me on that though.

Follow up question are chrome-lined barrels available for the VZ2008? I believe that's what you're after right?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The milsurpluse barrel is different than the century barrel. Supposedly iv heard of people trying to sleeve the mil-surplus with limited success. If your really want to APEX gun parts sells a correct bore barrel for this that is actually 16". It is in the white I believe with out the gas port drilled. A nitrided coating would be a must if you have your heart set on doing this. But beware this gun was never meant to have the barrel removed once installed. While it may be possible its likely not worth the time or investment when you can just buy a czechpoint.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Well if the barrels aren't the same it wouldn't b worth it. Better off to just by another vz'08, at these prices u really can't go wrong even if u have to fix a couple things.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anybody know if you can rebarrel a VZ2008 with a military VZ58 barrel and if so who can do the work? Hoping the barrel on it is to mil-spec dimensions.
View Quote

Why do you want to?

If there is something wrong with the barrel on the one you've got, I'd just buy a new gun. PSA has them for 379.00.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:04:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes there is something very wrong with the barrel. Unless Century has changed who they are getting the barrels for their builds from. From my memory they are made by green mountain and are .308 bore.  And if you shoot off the self ammo your firing  a .311/.310 bullet through it. This is very hard on the rifling and likely will cause accuracy issues down the road. I bought one two years ago and its 308 bore. Mine is very accurate with good ammo. 1MOA  is what i get even with the short sight radius. But it bothers me knowing that every shot i fire is wearing out the barrel more than it should due to the improper size. That being said as cheap as they are right now buy two. If you wear one out move on to the next. I would rate the one i have as being far superior to the cheap WASR aks out there. Best advice i can give you is get rid of the folding stock and put the solid one on. Then get yourself a good muzzle break. Everyone who has shot mine i have made into a believer in the platform.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
the military barrels are $50, so when I wear the barrel out I would have liked to replace it instead of throwing the gun away. But only if it was economical, I've read in place that the barrel is the same dimensions and elsewhere that it is not , so who knows. I have 1500 rounds through mine so far, I suspect I will have over 5k in 2 years, hoping the barrel will last that long but I suspect it will wear out around that time. I doubt VZ2008's will be $399 in 2 years. I'm going to spend an extra $100 and get a pioneer AK next, $465 for a quality AK is a pretty solid value. I like my VZ'08 it is the most accurate non-AR 7.62x39 I have ever fired and is very light and handy, I don't care for the stock profile as the Beaver barf stock hits my cheek bone until it is bruised, The folder is more comfortable to me as long as I wrap it in paracord. The trigger mechanism as century set them up is a joke. I had the gremlin show up within 700 rounds, sent it back and within 500 rounds after they sent it back the trigger stopped working all together. I decided just to look a the mechanism and figure it out myself. Found out that if the mechanism is installed in a sloppy loose manner it will fail. So I tweeked it removing all the slop and walla problem solved, this is no AK folks loose tolerances are your enemy here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Iv got to say if you put a good break on it, not the old school czech one that is a fireball magnifier, you will eliminate that bruised cheek bone. I do not mind the beaver barf but i expect it would be easy to do a hydro dip camo coating on it you didnt like it. Cant say i would buy a sub $500 ak when there are ARs out there right now for under 500. And thats a no brainer on which one would be better to have IMO.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
wow, not much pressure there when the receiver is hot.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top