Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2014 9:54:23 PM EDT
I have an sks and like the 7.62x39 ammo and was researching to buy an AK when I saw the clone VZ2008 for a pretty good price. As I scanned the internet there were so many mixed reviews that I figured asking for y'alls input. One thing I read that was disconcerting as to the "Gremlin issue" that kept popping up concerning getting the bolt carrier tabbed. Some say this issue was addressed by Century and is a non-factor on the newest batch of vzs. Then there is  Obiwan/Bonesteel that says the tab is needed on any rifle without an autosear and personally can't imagine owning a semi VZ without the tab and if not tabbed feels the VZ is nothing more than a toy because it would not be reliable enough to be used as a weapon. UMMMMM I like the VZ(what good that I've read) but with all this it makes me think it would be better to just move on and buy an AK which is proven to be a reliable rifle. Still I would like to be talked into the VZ if I can get some good positive feedback……..
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I own and AK and wanted something different. I always liked the looks of the VZ-58 and the folding stock. I like the design of the rifle. Its like a Cadillac in the com block of weapons. The AK is like buying a Pontiac and wish you could afford a Cadillac. The best thing about this one, its affordable.

I bought one from PSA when they had five mags and mag pouch. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. If I find out the bolt needs to be tabbed no big deal. As it sits right now, if I had to go into battle with it, I would with no question. Any rifle can fail at any time.

If you already own an AK get a VZ-58 (VZ2008) and don't worry. Take it out and shoot it and have some fun. If I ever run into the gremlin I will send the bolt off and have it tabbed or do it myself or have someone locally do it.

I remember when kits were going for $39-$60 bucks. I have not seen a kit in a long time and I doubt I do and if I do it wont be at that price.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting the carrier tabbed costs $56 (including postage to him) if you have Forced March do it on www.czfirearm.us.  He does a great job.  It is, of course, cheaper to do it yourself, if you have the equipment and know-how.

PSA still has the VZ 2008's for $379, and while it's not quite as good a deal previously, it's still killer.  Add 56$ to that and you're still in only $435.  You can get four mags and a pouch from Apex for $75-100, depending on new or used.  So then you're into it a little more than $500 with seven mags, pouch, sling, and cleaning kit.  That's a lot of rifle for the money.

The reported advantages of the VZ 2008 over AKM's is that it is lighter, more accurate, and your buy-in price to get set up nicely is lower.  The Gremlin aside, the VZ 2008 just as reliable as the AKM.  The Gremlin seems to be rare on this third generation Century build as they've made adjustments to the disconnector to compensate.  

(cont'd below)
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
(cont'd)

I have three VZ  2008's and have shot over 1,000 rounds through the first two with zero problems.  I did get each carrier tabbed anyway for long-term reliability.  My third VZ 2008 has no tabbed carrier and it's gone through 750 rounds with no problems.  I do, however, have a tabbed spare carrier on hand in case the Gremlin does appear.   For research sake, I'm going to shoot that third rifle, untabbed, until the Gremlin appears and then switch out the carriers.  That may, or may not, happen.

The disadvantages of the VZ 2008 over the AKM's is if you're going to trick them out.  I like the VZ 2008 in it's stock form and am not going to touch it.  But if you want different furniture, sights, optics, etc, then the AKM is the way to go as the aftermarket support for the AKM is far better.  You'll be able to find everything you need for the VZ 2008, but the selection will be less, more difficult to find, and more expensive.  And if you want to get thirty mags for your one rifle, then it would be far cheaper to get the AKM as I see mags for those at less than 10 bucks each in bulk all the time, where as the VZ  mags will run you about $25 each, shipped.

The VZ 2008 is a great rifle and I highly recommend it, along with the tabbing.  But if you like to go tacticool, then the AKM would be a far cheaper way to go
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that this is what I needed to hear. I really would not want to trick it out much,maybe replace the beaver barf furniture is all,but I'm sure it can grow on you. When I refinished my SKS I mainly used steel wool and mineral spirits to clean it up and then multiple coats of boiled linseed oil applied with steel wool to try and keep the military character in tact. Other than the"Gremlin issue" are these CAI VZ 2008 in fairly good condition,(rust,wear and tear)?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The beaver barf can get hot, but some have had good luck either drilling ventilating holes or installing homemade aluminum heat shields (much like some AKM's).

The fit and finish on my rifles range from very good to superb.  The barrel, receiver, and few other parts are brand new, but the rest comes from parts kits so while everything works, the prettiness can vary.  If you get something that doesn't look brand new, it will likely still look cool with character.  The accessories vary more wildly than the rifles.  Some people get brand new accessories, while others get well-worn ones.  Two of my rifles came with brand new mag pouches and magazines, and one came with a mag pouch and four mags that show a lot of wear-and-tear, but they all work perfectly.

It's a great rifle.  As accurate as my SKS and very light.  The folding stock hinge will probably need some work, either by blasting it with solvent to loosen it, or by taking it apart and cleaning it.  I've done both and both of the folding stocks work fine now.  I don't have any folding-stock AKM's, but reportedly the VZ folding stock is a much better and tighter design.

If you're fine with the upfront accessories and maybe a few extra mags, then the VZ 2008 is a great buy.  But if you want to go farther, even with just a lot of extra mags, an AK variant will be a better value in the long run.d

If you're still undecided, go to www.czfirearms.us and spend a little time browsing.  All the benefits and quirks of the rifle, as well as any solutions, will be become clear.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a guy on the FaceBook VZ 58 / VZ 2008 page that is making heat shields. I think they are 12.00 bucks shipped to you in the states. There is also a member on there that has a company that makes after market parts. They just bought a VZ2008 and they are gearing up to make some aftermarket things. They asked for some feedback of what people are looking for. The one thing they will not be making is magazines. I was told the cost of start up for those are to high.

I like the folding stock. I plan to keep mine original and not do any aftermarket stuff to it. I would love another one and it is very tempting to get one at the price PSA has on them right now. Mine came with five mags and one has finish wear to it and the others are wrapped up (not greasy just wrapped) and they look brand new. I did get a mag pouch that is worn but looks to have a protective coating on it so it does not rot.

I have also thought about buying another bolt carrier group and having it tabbed just to keep around for that "Just in case" moment should it happen. I really like the VZ 2008 and I'm a die hard AK guy. I came close to buying an AK pistol to SBR but now that I bought the VZ 2008 I have had thoughts of doing an SBR one instead of an AK. I could be into an SBR VZ 2008 for around 600 bucks compared to 900 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I went ahead and ordered one from PSA. Now I guess I can get into the archives here and try to learn as much as I can about the VZ. On that thought any head start that y'all can give me will be much appreciated. Maybe save me a few steps with some reputable companies that deal with the VZ parts and accessories…..
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I went ahead and ordered one from PSA. Now I guess I can get into the archives here and try to learn as much as I can about the VZ. On that thought any head start that y'all can give me will be much appreciated. Maybe save me a few steps with some reputable companies that deal with the VZ parts and accessories…..
View Quote

Lots of parts and accessories on Ebay. There is one seller there from the Czech Republic and another from I think Slovakia that have tons of new old surplus stuff. Also Czechpoint USA and Zahal.org.

Plenty of mags on pouches on Gunbroker but it takes some looking to get a really decent price.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I found a few PDF manuals but would like to find one that I can put my hands on for having for the bench until I get more familiar with the rifle. There are some horror stories that I have read about the rifle on other sites (missing bolt lock,bent piston rod,missing springs) so I would really love to be able to break it down thoroughly ,clean, and make my own inspection before firing. One theme on newer threads is the confidence that a lot have in CAI's customer service,not so a few years back.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top