Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 11:35:25 PM EDT
So I go a new VZ from PSA and the first time I took it out I put about 100 rnds through it with no issues.  Took it out today with the same ammo, same mags.  About 5-6 rounds out of each mag had a very light primer strike.  It was completely random of when it happen.  I could reload the rounds and try again and they would fire.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid question, did you take it apart and clean the gunk out and relube everything before you shot it?  Some rifles have had that issue.  Make sure the striker and the rails on the receiver are lubed properly, don't need as much in there as an AR but some is required.  They don't like to be dry.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I took it apart and lubed everything.  It is strange because most of the strikes are good, but around 5 per mag are light, I mean very light, you can barely see a dipple on the primer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you hear/feel the striker "click" or is it a soft dead trigger ? May need your carrier tabbed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArqQoDuWMY

Try this before you waste your money tabbing. You didn't say if you could hear the striker click when no round fired, or if it had already fallen. This would help to determine your problem.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You were asked if you heard a click (the striker going forward).  That's an important question to answer.  If you did, then it's a light strike.  If you didn't, it's probably that the striker was already forward (Gremlin).  

With a floating firing pin, the primer is likely to be lightly dimpled just by chambering a round.  Chamber a round, don't pull the trigger, eject the round, and see if it matches what you think may be light strikes from before.  It will probably match, and what you're probably having is the gremlin.  

Having the carrier tabbed is not a waste of money.  You already basically stole the rifle for $400.  Another $50 plus U.S. Flat Rate shipping is well worth the hassles it will prevent now, or down the road.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArqQoDuWMY

Try this before you waste your money tabbing. You didn't say if you could hear the striker click when no round fired, or if it had already fallen. This would help to determine your problem.
View Quote

I could hear the striker when I pulled the trigger.  I will try what is in the video.  I won't be able to go out shooting for a couple of weeks though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You were asked if you heard a click (the striker going forward).  That's an important question to answer.  If you did, then it's a light strike.  If you didn't, it's probably that the striker was already forward (Gremlin).  

With a floating firing pin, the primer is likely to be lightly dimpled just by chambering a round.  Chamber a round, don't pull the trigger, eject the round, and see if it matches what you think may be light strikes from before.  It will probably match, and what you're probably having is the gremlin.  

Having the carrier tabbed is not a waste of money.  You already basically stole the rifle for $400.  Another $50 plus U.S. Flat Rate shipping is well worth the hassles it will prevent now, or down the road.
View Quote

I will not send the carrier into be tabbed.  If a gun does not work as designed without extra work being done to it then that is a very stupid designed and the gun will be down that road.  I have a bunch of guns and have never had to send one in to have it modifed to make it work like it should.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
If you hear the striker engaging, then you don't have the classic gremlin.  If you pull the trigger and hear a click but no bang, it could be a few things.  The striker may not be fully engaging due to obstruction or a weak striker spring.  It could be the firing pin.  You said you cleaned the rifle.  Does the firing pin rattle freely when you shake the bolt?  If not, there could be some crud in there that hangs up the pin intermittently.  It could also be the ammo.  It's not unheard of to have ammo fail to fire the first time and then go off the second try.   I recently had a batch of Red Army that had some duds in it.  My duds, however, were heavily dimpled.  

Converting the FCG from full-auto to semi-auto is what produces the Gremlin.  The first company that did the conversions was aware of the problem and did add the tab, and so did other companies following, but the first company then patented the tabbing and prevented anyone else from using it.  The lack of a tab on the VZ 2008 is not a stupid design, but instead the result of legal obstruction.  Sending the carrier in to be tabbed is consistent with the original design of the semi-auto VZ.  

The VZ 2008 is an excellent firearm with numerous advantages.  It would be a shame to write it off.  As they're made with used parts, however, there may be some with quirks.   Overall, it's a simple design.  Fixes are usually cheap and/or easy.  Go to www. czfirearms.us for a ton of trouble-shooting and repair information.  

But... if you don't want the aggravation, you could always sell it.  I'm sure you'd easily find a buyer.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top