Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 11:01:57 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I just got my VZ58 (VZ2008) and I wanted to ask a quick question or two.

How much mag wobble should one have with an empty mag?

I got mine home today and put the empty mag in (good used surplus mag) and I noticed some mag wobble. It is noticeable just like it is on my WASR-10. I have not tried the other four mags just yet. They are wrapped up and in the pouch.

How stiff should the bolt be?

Again I am used to the AK-47 platform and I know the bolt design of the VZ58 is a lot different. I know there is two or three springs (can't remember off the top of my head)  that would add tension to the bolt.

From my first impressions of the rifle, I like it, I like it a lot. The folding stock button is a bit stiff (Its a bitch to push in. I used a rubber mallet to help) but over time I think it will be okay. The finish on the gun is nice. Mine is not all marked up with scratches. It is a black finish. I was hoping it would be the grey style finish. My front sight is straight, not canted. I was hoping that it would be a full hooded front sight. I just really like that look.

I opened the bolt up and its pretty clean. I do see some grease in it that just needs to be wiped out. The furniture is really perfect. I have no dings, dents and it is bright in color. So far the fit and finish is very nice and I'm very happy with it. The price I paid, as of 11-1-14, at 399.99 plus shipping and FFL fee I"m very pleased.  

I did a function check on the trigger. I dry fired it and then let my finger out just enough to feel the bolt ridding over. I let it out and it resets just fine. I did this over and over for about eight times. I will have to see if it has that gremlin after firing the rifle. I'm hoping that there will be no problems with it and that the gremlin will not show its ugly head.

Overall as of right now I like this rifle much better then my AR-15 and I might just like it more then my AK-47. My AK-47 has always been my go to rifle of choice and I can see the VZ59 winning me over quickly to becoming that rifle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:19:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey everyone, I just got my VZ58 (VZ2008) and I wanted to ask a quick question or two.

How much mag wobble should one have with an empty mag?

I got mine home today and put the empty mag in (good used surplus mag) and I noticed some mag wobble. It is noticeable just like it is on my WASR-10. I have not tried the other four mags just yet. They are wrapped up and in the pouch.

How stiff should the bolt be?

Again I am used to the AK-47 platform and I know the bolt design of the VZ58 is a lot different. I know there is two or three springs (can't remember off the top of my head)  that would add tension to the bolt.

From my first impressions of the rifle, I like it, I like it a lot. The folding stock button is a bit stiff (Its a bitch to push in. I used a rubber mallet to help) but over time I think it will be okay. The finish on the gun is nice. Mine is not all marked up with scratches. It is a black finish. I was hoping it would be the grey style finish. My front sight is straight, not canted. I was hoping that it would be a full hooded front sight. I just really like that look.

I opened the bolt up and its pretty clean. I do see some grease in it that just needs to be wiped out. The furniture is really perfect. I have no dings, dents and it is bright in color. So far the fit and finish is very nice and I'm very happy with it. The price I paid, as of 11-1-14, at 399.99 plus shipping and FFL fee I"m very pleased.  

I did a function check on the trigger. I dry fired it and then let my finger out just enough to feel the bolt ridding over. I let it out and it resets just fine. I did this over and over for about eight times. I will have to see if it has that gremlin after firing the rifle. I'm hoping that there will be no problems with it and that the gremlin will not show its ugly head.

Overall as of right now I like this rifle much better then my AR-15 and I might just like it more then my AK-47. My AK-47 has always been my go to rifle of choice and I can see the VZ59 winning me over quickly to becoming that rifle.
View Quote

One man's little mag wobble is another mans more than little mag wobble. It's hard to say from your description. But a little mag wobble is nothing to worry about and yours is probably normal/fine. It may be that mag though. The receiver is steel and the mags are aluminum. Material from the mags can wear off over time and loosen them up some. Some mags I have for my 58 are very tight, with no wobble. Some wobble a little. All function.

As for the bolt. It should be pretty stiff and I don't know if there's a way to describe it without busting out a scale. I"m sure it's normal.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My suggestion is go out and shoot it then come back and report. These are completely different monsters than AKs; so you can't really compare the two on bolt stiffness, mag wobble (mine has slight mag movement with it empty - zero when loaded).

Get the carrier tabbed while folks are still available to do them; a nice muzzle break, a fixed stock  and enjoy it. I wouldn't be surprised that it will quickly become your go-to-rifle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey thanks guys. I read that empty mags wobble more then loaded. I feel good about the buy and I can't wait to get out and shoot it. I need to find a range close by if not it will be an hour and half drive to fire off some rounds to see how it functions.

It is a very interesting designed rifle and over all more appealing to me then the AK right now.

I need to look into getting my bolt tabbed. Do I have to send the whole rifle or just the bolt?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My mags are a little looser when empty, I'm assuming they're supposed to bulge a little when loaded. If it's the same play as your WASR you should be fine, my VZ2008 has about the same mag wobble as my WASR as well. I'm not aware of any Century VZ having enough mag wobble to be a functional issue, and a little wobble is good. I have a few Tapco 20s I had to file down to fit my WASR and they go in smoothly but there's so little excess play they don't insert as fast as my steel mags, so a little wobble is good IMHO. As for finish, I don't think any of the Century rifles had the grey paint finish the real CZs had. There are several older threads on the folder, some have taken the folder apart and others like me just ran a lot of CLP thru it while working the hinge, the insides of the parts are parkerized and you'll get a lot of grey gritty sludge out of it but it smooths out nicely. Still kinda tricky to release so don't put any pressure on the stock when you're pressing the release button. As for tabbing the carrier, you do not have to send in the whole rifle, just the carrier. I haven't tabbed mine yet and after 500 rounds downrange still passes the 'gremlin' test so I'm not worrying about it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My mags are a little looser when empty, I'm assuming they're supposed to bulge a little when loaded. If it's the same play as your WASR you should be fine, my VZ2008 has about the same mag wobble as my WASR as well. I'm not aware of any Century VZ having enough mag wobble to be a functional issue, and a little wobble is good. I have a few Tapco 20s I had to file down to fit my WASR and they go in smoothly but there's so little excess play they don't insert as fast as my steel mags, so a little wobble is good IMHO. As for finish, I don't think any of the Century rifles had the grey paint finish the real CZs had. There are several older threads on the folder, some have taken the folder apart and others like me just ran a lot of CLP thru it while working the hinge, the insides of the parts are parkerized and you'll get a lot of grey gritty sludge out of it but it smooths out nicely. Still kinda tricky to release so don't put any pressure on the stock when you're pressing the release button. As for tabbing the carrier, you do not have to send in the whole rifle, just the carrier. I haven't tabbed mine yet and after 500 rounds downrange still passes the 'gremlin' test so I'm not worrying about it.
View Quote

Thanks that's good to know. Also good to know that the gremlin has not showed up yet. I may wait and see. I have a few options in my area to get the bolt tabbed if I need to.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey thanks guys. I read that empty mags wobble more then loaded. I feel good about the buy and I can't wait to get out and shoot it. I need to find a range close by if not it will be an hour and half drive to fire off some rounds to see how it functions.

It is a very interesting designed rifle and over all more appealing to me then the AK right now.

I need to look into getting my bolt tabbed. Do I have to send the whole rifle or just the bolt?
View Quote

All you need to do is send the carrier - thats it. Costs about $5 to ship

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_99/156977_VZ_2008___sent_carrier_in_for_Tabbed_service__Returned_completed___Pictures_and_link_included_.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 30 surplus mags, some new old stock, some lightly used, and some with heavy use.  All but four have noticeable mag wobble.  All 30 have worked perfectly.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top