Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 3:41:34 PM EDT
I currently own a few .308 suppressors and I'm curious as to what folks have used on the VZ-58. I'm leaning towards utilizing an AAC 762-SDN-6. (not sure yet on mounting, researching flash hider etc)
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm also interested in this.  Actually more interested in knowing if the barrels on the Century VZ2008 are concentric to the bore.  I've heard they use Green Mountain barrels but never seen it confirmed.  I have a Liberty Mystic on the way and it would be cool to have another host for it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually just did this over the weekend with my vz2008.  I checked the bore with a .297 drill rod through my kestrel 308 supressor.  Looked good.  Took it to the range crossed fingers and let it rip.  Sounded surprisingly quiet.  Definitely hearing safe.  Bear in mind the kestrel cans have very loose bore tolerances.  Like .390 on the baffles and .380 on the end cap.  My rifle is reasonably concentric.  I recommend checking it with a drill rod.  Worked for me and sounds much quieter than a suppressed ak.  I'll post pics when I figure that out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking forward to pics!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome Whipcycle.

Good to hear it suppresses well.  Just got shipping notification from PSA for a VZ2008.  Will try it with a Kestrel AK, when it comes in.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
" />

I used a cncwarrior adapter to get 5/8-24 threads.  This 2lb supressor hanging off the end of the skinny barrel makes me want to sbr another vz pretty bad.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually just did this over the weekend with my vz2008.  

Definitely hearing safe.
View Quote

Are you sure about that? Due to the way the gas system works there's going to be a fair amount of supersonic gas venting out the handguards, around the gas block and piston. AKs are notorious for being very poor suppressor hosts because of that. -- I know the Vz 58 isn't an AK. However it does vent supersonic gas at the gas block similar to the way an AK does -- Not to mention the fact that supersonic ammo is generally not going to be hearing safe when fired suppressed due to the limitations of suppressor technology. It may SOUND hearing safe but you're still risking significant hearing damage.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Put it this way.  I took my hearing protection off to "listen" to hear how it performed.  The guys shooting unsupressed twenty feet away were causing me some serious discomfort.  The vz In my hands was not.  It may not be accurate to say it is hearing safe.  But it didn't cause ringing in the ears or any obvious discomfort.  I probably wouldn't shoot all day without earpro.  But I'd feel comfortable firing off a mag or two.  I shoot a suppressed 300 blackout with subs so I know about truly quiet.  This is not that.  But--no gas In the face like I get with my sbr blackout ar and ammo is cheap.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A fellow ARFCOMMer had shot me a message on using the CNCwarrior adapters so that is the route I'm going to go. After some consideration and research, I believe I'll go the VZ58 pistol route for the suppressor host.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Used a CNC Warrior adaptor also. Took some filing to get the adaptor to lock up tight on the détente. Took some filing on the front of the adaptor to align the suppressor.  It's  is now pretty well centred. Shot 200 rounds today with no problem. Around 300 rounds total.

The gas vents do make it a bit loud.  It will just ring my left ear.  Have shot this suppressor on a couple other AKs. A Yugo was a good bit quieter, a Maadi was quieter also.

I wonder if a little steel baffle to redirect the vented gas forward would make it quieter?

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad the adapter worked out for you.  I haven't experienced any ringing with my setup.  I'm using the kestrel 308 can which has a tighter bore than the kestrel ak can(or so I've been told).  I'm thinking about purchasing an m92 as a sbr host so your experience with the Yugo sounding better than the vz interests me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Tried a little paracord wrapped around the barrel and gas tube.  It did seem a little quieter.

BBB = Beaver Barf Blaster.......

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks great with the fixed stock. I'm thinking the vz sbr'd with a shroud that encloses the barrel and the gas port would be a fun project.  Basically vent the gas system into a sealed tube.  Would look kinda like a vss vintorez.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Well them gubment people finally got tired of sitting on my paperwork for another suppressor. Tried the VZ2008 with a Thunder Beast 30P-1, and it was still loud. Guess its the action noise and the way it vents near the piston.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a YHM Phantom LT 7.62  and a SWR 7.62 can with an adapter from CNC warrior that goes from 14 x 1 R  to 5/8 x 28 for my SBR'ed CSA vz58.  I made sure the threading was straight before I "experimented" with it. I can tell you the 11.9 inch barrel is a little loud with the YHM LT and Specwar can. It reminds me of a can on my sig 556 or AKM's . Its loud and after about the 3rd round your ears start ringing.  It may be different on the longer 16 inch vz 2008 barrels. It does look really cool but not that great at making it sound like a 22 LR. Here is a pic of it with the SWR can on it

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:00:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah. These are louder than AKs when suppressed. Was a bit disappointed to find that out. Great guns,  just loud.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top