Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2014 6:40:54 PM EDT
Ok, this is my first post on AR-15 and it,s about a VZ58.

My first gas rod was bent 10* at the base of the piston. ( where it enters the receiver). That end also has chips on it.

The first time noticed anything wrong was about 500 rounds in, and 3 cleanings later, that it had a louder report. I thought it was the OLD (83*) Norinco surplus ammo. Like 5.56 Nato, it has some kick on occasion.

WELL.... after cleaning that day, I had a heck of a time removing the gas rod. Took a LOT of patience. Upon removal, the gas rod had been kinked like I never imagined.

I bore- cleaned the receiver where the gas rod passes thru to act-upon the bcg. It was not 100%. The plated Mil-specplated  rod I got from Bonesteel now has 250 rds, and is starting to take much wear. No kink, but face deformations.

Basically, am I in a damaged receiver boat, or is this a normal wear in CIA VZ58 bodies?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, this is my first post on AR-15 and it,s about a VZ58.

My first gas rod was bent 10* at the base of the piston. ( where it enters the receiver). That end also has chips on it.

The first time noticed anything wrong was about 500 rounds in, and 3 cleanings later, that it had a louder report. I thought it was the OLD (83*) Norinco surplus ammo. Like 5.56 Nato, it has some kick on occasion.

WELL.... after cleaning that day, I had a heck of a time removing the gas rod. Took a LOT of patience. Upon removal, the gas rod had been kinked like I never imagined.

I bore- cleaned the receiver where the gas rod passes thru to act-upon the bcg. It was not 100%. The plated Mil-specplated  rod I got from Bonesteel now has 250 rds, and is starting to take much wear. No kink, but face deformations.

Basically, am I in a damaged receiver boat, or is this a normal wear in CIA VZ58 bodies?
View Quote

By "The plated Mil-specplated  rod" you mean original piston, or new US production?
I found no chips or deformations on my piston at about 4500 rds. + unknown quantity from when it was used in army. And ive never seen bent piston or heard of one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Pictures would be helpful OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if a picture of any clarity would you be able to see a 10* degree kink in the end of the rod. I have already straightened it and polished it, so its moot. The cause was surely the Fab handguard installing too tightly and contacting the rod.

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top