Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2014 5:48:39 PM EDT
I snagged one of the vz2008s from Aim last month and finally got a chance to take it out- Only to find that the damn bolt won't seat.  The bolt seems to operate just fine unloaded, but with a loaded magazine, the bolt won't seat itself against the gas tube.  I tried a few varieties of ammunition ( all FMJ) and nothing seems to help.  I have since given it a detailed cleaning thinking that maybe there could be some machining grease in the barrel, but with no improvement.  The bolt seems to encounter a "squishy" feeling when I attempt to push the bolt forward with a round.  Has anyone else encountered an issue like this?  It doesn't seem to be one of the typical Century ailments according to my research.  Anyway, before I have to deal with the return/repair nightmare through Century, do any of you guys have some insight?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the gas piston protruding slightly from the gas tube?  There have been a few reports of Century Vz.s having bent/warped gas pistons.  If your gas piston isn't retracting fully, that could prevent the bolt from fully closing.

But if it only occurs when loading a round, and not when racking the bolt while empty, that leads me to believe there may be something wrong with the chamber that's causing the round to hang up before the bolt is fully closed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The gas piston seems to be flush.  I would agree that it seems to be an issue with the chamber.  It will chamber a round properly after 5 or 6 racks, but will not cycle the next round- which will be hung up in the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was the same way but if fired just fine. Pull the carrier and bolt out and drop a round in the chamber and see if it falls out when you tilt it back. Mine does.  Have you shot it yet? Don't ride the bolt let it slam home and give it a push to make sure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
After spending a long time on the phone with a surprisingly helpful Century Int. Customer service rep, they seemed optimistic that my problem could be helped by a thorough cleaning of the bolt assembly.  yadda yadda yadda.... I've discovered that the problem seems to be the magazines.  I had noticed previously that they were super tight and very difficult to unload by hand.  Now If I try to rack the bolt with a downloaded magazine--no problemo.  They 5 mags that came with the package are a little dinged up on the outside but the springs feel more than new.  Just posting here in the hope it might help someone else with a similar issue.

I guess I'll have to keep the czechy thing after all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The '58's mags seem to have a stronger tighter spring than the AK mags. A few of mine will do that on the first round chambered I just tap it home and the rest of the mag fires fine.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top