Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2014 11:35:01 AM EDT
First range trip with my new VZ2008 from AIM.  The first 30rd was flawless.  But then the next 60rd I was having what I think is called VZ gremlin.  When I pull the trigger I can heard a click sound but the round won’t fire.  I empty the rifle and then charge it again.  It fired a few rounds before the same problem happen again. The malfunction  is not consistent, sometime it happened sometime it don’t.  I then fired another 40rd without any problems.

What you guys think the problems is?  I was using Golden Tiger 7.62x39.  I have used this same ammo in all my AKM without problems.

Have anyone else have the same problems?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you disassemble and clean the bolt and striker?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, it sounds like the CZ/VZ "gremlin". I've seen several people here and on the CZ forum that have had this issue. When their Century guns don't have the tabbed bolt carrier Which I don't believe any of them come with one.. Some of the Century guns do this, some don't. I recall another "fix". But the easiest way is to buy a tabbed bolt carrier or have yourself or someone else tab it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_99/145592_Tabbed_bolt_carriers_and_the_vz58_gremlin.html

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=26292.0

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=38703.0

I know Czechpoint sells their guns with the tabbed carrier. It's a shame, that since this is a known issue (that doesn't happen to everyone) in the US, Canada, and elsewhere where the semi auto 58 is sold. That Century doesn't have it in their rifles to begin with. The select fire/full auto 58s don't have this issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vz+58+tabbed+bolt+carrier&client=firefox-a&hs=b5B&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DD8BU4jNG-TWyQHq_oAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=640

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you disassemble and clean the bolt and striker?
View Quote

Yes.  The rifle was completely clean before I went to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
See my post on the DIY tab, all the info you need to tab your carrier.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Is your striker releasing? It sounds like what mine was doing this weekend. Sometimes the bolt wouldn't fully go into battery and I was getting light primer strikes. I didn't get to clean and lube the gun as good as I'd like so im hoping that's why I was having problems.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

So do Century Arms built VZ2008 have this problem eventually?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
My NIB Century Arms VZ2008 came with a bolt carrier tab welded in place. I do not have any problems.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My NIB Century Arms VZ2008 came with a bolt carrier tab welded in place. I do not have any problems.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/CzechVZ58folder001.jpg
View Quote

When and where did you purchase it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it doesn't have a tabbed carrier? Some do, some don't. Some will do it right away. Some will work for a while and then have the gremlin pop up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My NIB Century Arms VZ2008 came with a bolt carrier tab welded in place. I do not have any problems.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/CzechVZ58folder001.jpg

I purchased it about 4 years ago at a gunshow.

Pic of the "tab" I looks like a very simple weld job.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I had this issue last range trip, but I was running the gun dry.  I applied a heavy spray of remoil and it went away.  YMMV
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
My 2nd range trip with the Century VZ2008. So many malfunctions!!! Here is a list

Shooting Golden Tiger lacquered 124gr
1) One round fired, next round failed to fire, I heard a “click” when I pulled the trigger. The round that failed have a very light strike on the primer. This happened 15 more times. Sometime I’m able to fire 5-15rd before same malfunctions. But most time I can only fire a single round.

Shooting Tula polymer 122gr
2) The rifle seem to function somewhat better with Tula. But same problems will occurred. A few rounds off then “click” and no bang. Again all the rounds that failed have light strike on primer.

Shooting Brown Bear polymer 123gr
3) First round failed to go into battery. But beside that all 40rd I shot went off!

What do you guy think is wrong with rifle?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I would call Century and see what they say. Besides that it sounds like its not going into battery all the way. Lube the crap out of it before you hit the range and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#14]
The rifle was sent back to Century Arms to be “fix”.  I’m hoping they tabbed my carrier, but seriously doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#15]
When you had the round that failed to fire did you get a reset and then when you pulled the trigger it felt like a normal trigger pull? like the striker released and everything?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Century will not tab the carrier.  I have the same issue.  I contacted Century last week and they responded back with " we are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your rifle.  Unfortunately, we do not install the tab on the bolt carriers." They responded back to me because I had sent them an email iquiring about getting the tab installed.

I found someone to install the tab on the carrier and Century can take the warranty and shove it in their ass.

Quoted:
The rifle was sent back to Century Arms to be “fix”.  I’m hoping they tabbed my carrier, but seriously doubt it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#17]
They can't under patent laws..
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top