Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2014 3:55:38 PM EDT
The $479 rifles at J&G are calling my name but:  it has a thumb safety, but its on the wrong side?  How do you actuate that without moving your thumb off the pistol grip?  How does the mag release work?  Looks awkward.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The $479 rifles at J&G are calling my name but:  it has a thumb safety, but its on the wrong side?  How do you actuate that without moving your thumb off the pistol grip?  How does the mag release work?  Looks awkward.
View Quote

Assuming you are right handed. You work the safety with your thumb and pointer finger. It's far to stiff to work with one finger. You can flip it on safe with just your thumb but to put it back on fire takes two fingers. At least on mine.

And on the mag release you grab the mag with your fingers and hit the release with your thumb.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I couldn't find any photos of the magazine release process on a Vz. 58/Vz. 2008 specifically, but the mag release works similar to an AK-47/74:  

The main difference is that the release paddle on the Vz. 58/Vz. 2008 is in front of the trigger guard, not below it.  There's a cutout on the left side of the trigger guard, so that your thumb can reach the magazine release paddle.

And if you think the $479 Vz. 2008s from J&G are attractive, then you'll really love the $499 Vz. 2008s from AIM, which come with an additional 4 magazines (5 total), a bayonet, and a sling.  All for only $20 more: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CVZ2008&name=Czech+VZ58+(Century+Arms+Mod+VZ2008)+7.62x39+Rifle&groupid=11

Hurry!  Only 9 left!
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
These rifles are a steal.  If you have to have a rifle in 762 39 this is the one to get or two.

I hate AKs, they are junk to me.  The VZ is a well thought out, well crafted machined rifle, it only resembles an AK at a distance.

The safety is perfectly located.  You don't have to second guess the position because your trigger finger is right on it.  With an easy motion it swipes off.

The only thing the mag release has in common with the AK is position.  The paddle is protected side by side with the last round bolt hold open.  If you want big controls the aftermarket makes them.  I prefer the more protected snag free factory.

Shoot one side by side with an AK.  Smoother softer simpler and accurate in a lighter rifle.

It is a hidden treasure.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Assuming you are right handed. You work the safety with your thumb and pointer finger. It's far to stiff to work with one finger. You can flip it on safe with just your thumb but to put it back on fire takes two fingers. At least on mine.

And on the mag release you grab the mag with your fingers and hit the release with your thumb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't use the new mag to knock out the empty mag like on an AK?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  The magazine release paddle is in front of (and shielded by) the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I know they won't let me post links here unless I spend money, but copy and paste this youtube link to see safety operation/mag changes/bolt release using the NEA/NIET Arms equipment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-zLNrV83w
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
These rifles are a steal.  If you have to have a rifle in 762 39 this is the one to get or two.

I hate AKs, they are junk to me.  The VZ is a well thought out, well crafted machined rifle, it only resembles an AK at a distance.

The safety is perfectly located.  You don't have to second guess the position because your trigger finger is right on it.  With an easy motion it swipes off.

The only thing the mag release has in common with the AK is position.  The paddle is protected side by side with the last round bolt hold open.  If you want big controls the aftermarket makes them.  I prefer the more protected snag free factory.

Shoot one side by side with an AK.  Smoother softer simpler and accurate in a lighter rifle.

It is a hidden treasure.
View Quote

As someone that owns a pile of AKs I totally agree with this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No.  The magazine release paddle is in front of (and shielded by) the trigger guard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new VZ2008's don't have the guard in front of the mag release.  Haven't tried the AK-style mag drop, but I think theoretically you could do it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Vz 58 safety is designed so that, when on safe, your right index finger crosses the safety lever and you can't comfortable reach the trigger.  You can flip it from safe to fire with your right index finger rather easily.  Also, think there may be ambi mods out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My brand new VZ2008 has part of the trigger guard obstructing the mag release.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Vz 58 safety is designed so that, when on safe, your right index finger crosses the safety lever and you can't comfortable reach the trigger.  You can flip it from safe to fire with your right index finger rather easily.  Also, think there may be ambi mods out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The funny part is the Century ones are backwards though, so the can't comfortably reach the trigger part applies when it's on fire, not safety like it was designed
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Though I'm guessing at what you're trying to say. (Your sentence structure is weak above).

Technically the Century rifle's safeties are going the correct way. Though neither was is "wrong" per se. On the select fire 58's. The safety is:
-paddle down- safe
-paddle rear- semi
-paddle forward- full

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I understand Mantis just fine.  Probably has something to do with the same public schools.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Though I'm guessing at what you're trying to say. (Your sentence structure is weak above).

Technically the Century rifle's safeties are going the correct way. Though neither was is "wrong" per se. On the select fire 58's. The safety is:
-paddle down- safe
-paddle rear- semi
-paddle forward- full

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Master_Mold/media/selector_zpsff495c1f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/Master_Mold/selector_zpsff495c1f.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thats perfect...  for a lefty.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand what you're saying. But nothing is perfect.

It's nothing that training can't overcome.

She can do it. I bet you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQrOVY8ufvw
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The funny part is the Century ones are backwards though, so the can't comfortably reach the trigger part applies when it's on fire, not safety like it was designed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not on mine.

When on S/Safe, the safety hangs straight down, and gets in the way of your trigger finger.  It's immediately apparent that it's on safe when you grip the rifle:

To flip it to F/Fire, you flip the safety lever rearward, which puts it up out of the way of your trigger finger:

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The new VZ2008's don't have the guard in front of the mag release.  Haven't tried the AK-style mag drop, but I think theoretically you could do it.
View Quote

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  My recently manufactured Vz. 2008 has the magazine release in the standard Vz. 58 position, as do all of the Vz. 2008s that I've seen.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Replace that magazine release! It makes life a hell of a lot easier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ebUMtWgJE

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#19]
499 with mags? -- damn, wish i wasnt broke -- i'd take 2
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I'm going to find one of them thar mag catches.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top