Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2014 11:55:00 AM EDT
A good buddy took a liking to a C&R pistol in my collection and after a bit of horse trading, I ended up with a D-Technic VZ-58, 13 30rnd magazines, 3 moldy pigskin mag pouches, 1 black sling, some NEA rails, and some butchered Fab HG's that were on the rifle when he picked it up 4yrs ago all for about $600.

2/28 Update:

I received my $60 used folder from the Czech republic. It's is solid used condition but, has some wobble. Hopefully, I can swing by a friends shop and use a Mig to add a bit of material to the strut where it has peened and restore the correct tolerances. After slitting a piece of fuel line and sliding it over the stock, I added a quick over wrap of paracord. The stock is much more comfy now.

The AK MOE grip is a nice addition and very comfortable. All in all a much better size than the factory VZ grip.  I was, however, surprised to find that my rifle lacked the grip cup under the thumb hole sporter stock. I had hoped to use that cup to stabilize the grip. Since the underside of the receiver is slick and the trigger guard is narrower than an AKM, I'm going to have to use some epoxy/acraglass/bondo/JB weld? to build up the area on the grip around the TG to prevent the grip from twisting slightly and binding up the safety lever. The Magpul provided screw works fine with the VZ internal grip nut and was thankfully a slotted type.

Does anyone have input on what filler to use and what would be a good release agent to keep it from sticking to the rifle while its setting up?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a great deal.

For the stock. I saw a guy on ebay that is selling them complete for $68 plus 9.50 in shipping. Probably the one you're talking about. You'd be hard pressed to find it cheaper anywhere else. Unless you find on cheaply being sold privately.  I've looked an they're either much more expensive or out of stock. Or both.

For the mag pouches. Depending on how bad they are. Simply using a little water and dish soap (liquid detergent). And the perhaps some white vinegar to disenfect afterwards. Scrub the mag pouch with a toothbrush. Or you can go straight up with white vinegar and some baking soda and the toothbrush. Rinse. Dry and then use some type of leather conditioner on it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like many people are replacing the original folder with a fixed stock.  I would think you would be able to find a good deal on one around here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I think apex might have had some.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Found a used folder on Ebay from the Czech republic for less than $60 shipped with the mounting screw. Also discovered that the push pin on the upper NEA hand guard was missing it's detent and spring. Luckily, NEA customer service was willing to drop those parts in an envelope for me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
$600?  You came out on the right side of that one.  Underrated rifle with great features/tweaks.  I bet it puts a smile on your face at the range.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$600?  You came out on the right side of that one.  Underrated rifle with great features/tweaks.  I bet it puts a smile on your face at the range.
View Quote

Indeed. It's been fun. I've only shot about 100rnds through it so far. All S&B or AE brass cased stuff at the local indoor range but, I'm getting an odd feed jam on the last round in some of the magazines. Still need to number my mags and try some different ammo to see if I can isolate/eliminate the issue.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#7]
New pics in OP
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks very nice with that Magpul grip on it, sure it is a big improvement in feel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Tweeks finished for the moment.

I swung by a buddy's shop and Mig'd some metal onto the stock strut and dressed it with a file. Lock up is now solid with little wobble.

I also picked up some Devcon epoxy putty(molded two part system) and filled/shaped the gap around the grip. That is now solid with no movement.

It also appears that the rifle doesn't like American Eagle 7.62x39mm. My local indoor range prohibits steel core/jacket ammo and that was all I could source for that range. The rifle exhibited failure to feed jams about 5-10% of the time with that ammo. Yesterday, with the weather allowing, I ran out to the outdoor range and burned through about 200 rnds of assorted steel case Eastern European and Russian ammo. It ran 100% and even seemed happy wih the JHP ammo that makes some AK's choke.

Now, I'm trying to fight the urge to get an extended bolt release....
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tweeks finished for the moment.

I swung by a buddy's shop and Mig'd some metal onto the stock strut and dressed it with a file. Lock up is now solid with little wobble.

I also picked up some Devcon epoxy putty(molded two part system) and filled/shaped the gap around the grip. That is now solid with no movement.

It also appears that the rifle doesn't like American Eagle 7.62x39mm. My local indoor range prohibits steel core/jacket ammo and that was all I could source for that range. The rifle exhibited failure to feed jams about 5-10% of the time with that ammo. Yesterday, with the weather allowing, I ran out to the outdoor range and burned through about 200 rnds of assorted steel case Eastern European and Russian ammo. It ran 100% and even seemed happy wih the JHP ammo that makes some AK's choke.

Now, I'm trying to fight the urge to get an extended bolt release....
View Quote

All looks good. I've got a couple. One that I'm slowly modernizing. I've never run any American made ammo through mine. Sucks about that. Perhaps the Federal ammo was a little out of spec? Maybe. If I had to run brass, non steel ammo through it. I'd probably stick with something of European manufacture. Sometimes (it seems) the American 7.62x39 can be a little wonky.
http://sgammo.com/product/surplus/20-rd-box-762x39-fmj-122-grain-lead-core-premium-ammo-arsenal-bulgaria-non-magnetic-
http://sgammo.com/product/fiocchi/20-round-box-762x39-fmj-123-grain-premium-ammo-fiocchi-brass-case-boxer-primer-non-m
http://sgammo.com/product/sellier-bellot/20-round-box-762x39-fmj-brass-case-boxer-primed-sellier-bellot-ammo-sba76239a
http://sgammo.com/product/prvi-partizan/20-rd-box-762x39-123-grain-copper-non-magnetic-fmj-brass-case-prvi-partizan-am

Honestly, not sure what was up with that ammo...

What range did you shoot at?

We should get together and have a vz. 58 party.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Indoor is Sharpshooters in Lorton. Outside range is FFX R&G(the country club)

I'd be down for some group VZ fun...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice, and  looks like you have the rare military grey color.  As a plus it's a D-technik. The build quality on these are top notch
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know Sharpshooters. Never shot there. But I was up there for a book signing (Emily Miller) last year.

Fairfax R&G in Manassas?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know Sharpshooters. Never shot there. But I was up there for a book signing (Emily Miller) last year.

Fairfax R&G in Manassas?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairfax R&G in Manassas?

Yes, I have worked nights at Sharpshooters for years and Fairfax R&G is down the street.

ETA- I just snagged a another used VZ58 that came through the shop. Black finished D-Technik Bakelite fixed stock model that someone equipped with a nice storm case and 5 mags. These things are horribly addictive.....and now I must handle my CC with oven mits
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top