Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 8:37:12 PM EDT
I'm waiting on my stamp to come in and wanting to plan out my conversion. Who cut & crowned your barrel and what else needs to be done to this rifle to make it function in a SBR configuration? I may end up doing it myself. Anything needed to be done with the gas block for it to cycle?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty easy to cut and crown yourself, I used the hacksaw, file and brass screw method from youtube, turned out great.

You also have to get the gas plug opened up. That requires removal of the front sight block which should be done by someone with the know how.

I just got mine done a week or so ago

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty easy to cut and crown yourself, I used the hacksaw, file and brass screw method from youtube, turned out great.

You also have to get the gas plug opened up. That requires removal of the front sight block which should be done by someone with the know how.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/924/aCL85z.jpg
View Quote

Nice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nailed it^^^ Did mine a couple of months ago. This was my second Arsenal my other being the 74. Unfortunately I didn't know about the gas port and I now have a bad ass single shot AK. My 74 didn't require the gas port to be opened.

Who did your gas port Mauritius? I was thinking of trying it myself but I really don't want to mess it up trying.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm doing a SBR on one. Where did you get all the parts needed?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My gas port on my 74 did not require any work.  Gun runs great with the cut barrel.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a UR, but I do own an SBR'ed SLR-107CR. I did it myself using a hacksaw, and a Brownells crowning kit... Turned out great. Don't be afraid to DIY, but just know there is the added hurdle of the gas port issue for your shorter model.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
any good gunsmith with a SOT can cut and crown a barrel, if you are weary of doing it yourself. check you're local area, talk to gun folks that had a barrel cut and crowned and get feedback

that is what I did, I know a local gunsmith with a SOT to do it, because I knew the kind of workmanship he does. . somethings on  a gun I can do without any trouble, changing out furniture, trigger group,  and simple stuff like that.  but when it comes to cutting and crowing a barrel which I have never done in my life, I would rather pay someone that knows what he is doing and has experience in that.

I laid out some money for my SLR106UR, I wasn't going to take the chance of screwing it up. 30 dollars to have it done, and have it done right, is a small price to pay.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Which optic mount, and does that MRDS with the ADM mount cowitness?

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top