Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 1:08:18 PM EDT
I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I started a thread last year about the legality of putting a vert grip on a M92 with a brace. I unfortunately didn't keep up with the thread after a few months and it was archived. The last thing I had heard was Dolomite submitted a letter to the ATF.
Has anyone heard a response regarding the letter? Specifically does the ATF recognize the SB47 brace as contributing to the OAL of the weapon?

Thanks,
Ryan
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge, you cannot put a vertical grip on the pistol.  However, the magpul afg is acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I started a thread last year about the legality of putting a vert grip on a M92 with a brace. I unfortunately didn't keep up with the thread after a few months and it was archived. The last thing I had heard was Dolomite submitted a letter to the ATF.
Has anyone heard a response regarding the letter? Specifically does the ATF recognize the SB47 brace as contributing to the OAL of the weapon?

Thanks,
Ryan
View Quote

He posted results here, but can't find it as my status doesn't allow that kind of search, I guess.

Here is another link to the response. Some parts are confusing of course, what you'd expect,  but upshot seems to be that he was told that

- a buffer tube alone added to AK is making an SBR, as shows it is intended to add a stock to be fired from shoulder
- however, if adding an SB-15 (only brace mentioned), to the buffer tube,  it would not be an SBR
- tube in this case does add to OAL, so if 26" then a VFG would also be okay, same as with any other pistol of this length, it becomes a legal non-NFA "firearm".

Link:

https://d2kyvj3kvr3yw0.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/atf-ak-ar15-buffer-tube-2015-02-11.pdf

- OS
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To my knowledge, you cannot put a vertical grip on the pistol.  However, the magpul afg is acceptable.
View Quote

If handgun is 26" or more in legal OAL, a vertical forward grip is fine, as it makes the gun into a non-NFA "firearm". Remove the VFG, it's magically a pistol again.

Clearcut in the AR world, but not so much in the AK one. The letter in question addressed whether a buffer tube added to an AK pistol counts in legal OAL same as with an AR, among other matters.

Example, my non-NFA AR "firearm". If I remove the VFG, it's an AR "pistol".

- OS
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
So what I got from that whole letter whose link was posted above is that the ATF is counting the pistol brace as part of the OAL and if your aka pistol is over the 26" mark, you can put a very grip on it and have a "firearm". Did I interperate the letter correctly?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what I got from that whole letter whose link was posted above is that the ATF is counting the pistol brace as part of the OAL and if your aka pistol is over the 26" mark, you can put a very grip on it and have a "firearm". Did I interperate the letter correctly?
View Quote

I think whether the brace counts in OAL is not clear, but that the buffer tube does. Doesn't specifically say that the brace is "part of the firearm" but seems to indicate that the tube is.  The brace is necessary to keep it a pistol and not an SBR.

Whole thing is quite convoluted thinking, as usual, though. And of course you still can't shoulder the brace according to the later more general open letter posted by Mad Max Kingery.

Also, though I'm not running a VFG on mine, I'm using an SBX rather than the SB-15, so hmmm, reckon mine is illegal because I'm not using the exact brace model mentioned in that letter?

- OS
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top