Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2015 5:00:27 PM EDT
has anybody tried to pull one of these things out or is this just a one way street?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried to remove the mag well because I wanted to refinish the pistol.  I wasn't able to get the magwell removed.  It's more than just removing the pin...I felt it was a PITA and decided to use an aerosol instead of thermal cured finish.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been told there are mods to the receiver/trunnion when the adapter is installed,turned me off on buying one
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been told there are mods to the receiver/trunnion when the adapter is installed,turned me off on buying one
View Quote

The piece of metal in the magwell on the front trunnion that standard AK mags lock into is milled/sanded off on the M85NP in order to proper load PMAGs and USGI mags with the poly magwell.

It can be removed obviously but there isn't much info online about it since most people who purchased the M85 aren't going to be tinkerers.

If you do remove the plastic magwell and plan to use metal mags, you will need to send it off to a smith and get the mag catch/latch re-welded onto the front trunnion OR have a completely new unmodified trunnion installed.

If you do that there is an added benefit...moving away from a 22mm trunnion and into a 23mm which has more barrel sizes available like the bulgy 5.56 barrels from KVAR.

But obviously if you do all of this you are putting lots o' money into the rifle so it's up to you.

I love my M85. I put 110 rounds through it today and it functioned flawlessly and was more fun that my ARs to shoot!

Then again- I have no need or want in my life to use metal AK mags or purchase them.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The piece of metal in the magwell on the front trunnion that standard AK mags lock into is milled/sanded off on the M85NP in order to proper load PMAGs and USGI mags with the poly magwell.

It can be removed obviously but there isn't much info online about it since most people who purchased the M85 aren't going to be tinkerers.

If you do remove the plastic magwell and plan to use metal mags, you will need to send it off to a smith and get the mag catch/latch re-welded onto the front trunnion OR have a completely new unmodified trunnion installed.

If you do that there is an added benefit...moving away from a 22mm trunnion and into a 23mm which has more barrel sizes available like the bulgy 5.56 barrels from KVAR.

That unit looks great with that triangle stock and Magpul grip!!  Nice Work!

But obviously if you do all of this you are putting lots o' money into the rifle so it's up to you.

I love my M85. I put 110 rounds through it today and it functioned flawlessly and was more fun that my ARs to shoot!

Then again- I have no need or want in my life to use metal AK mags or purchase them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ykY7h13Bc9M/VW--mn6nyaI/AAAAAAAALIc/FyDpWFJRAxc/s800/2015_06_03_22_57_28.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That unit looks great with that triangle stock and Magpul grip!!  Nice Work!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ykY7h13Bc9M/VW--mn6nyaI/AAAAAAAALIc/FyDpWFJRAxc/s800/2015_06_03_22_57_28.jpg

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I am still waiting for the first guy to chop up an Anderson, $39.00 AR lower and retro fit an actual AR magwell to the M85NP!!

Who's got SKILLS!?

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Not an actual AR lower, but this is my TAKD project that I was working on last night:

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
has anybody tried to pull one of these things out or is this just a one way street?
View Quote

If you were in AZ I'd trade you my AK-mag M85 face to face.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I just wish the magwell was steel or aluminum.  My M-85 likes Emags, the rest are a bit stiff, but work.  The Emag looks better too without all the ribs.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top