Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 6:25:20 PM EDT
Anyone tried this combo?

What all would it take to make it work?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Another rear trunnion.  Specifically a "fixed stock, single tang trunnion".
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another rear trunnion.  Specifically a "fixed stock, single tang trunnion".
View Quote

Will ANY old "fixed stock, single tang trunnion" do?

Or do I need a Yugo?

This is a mod I'm planning on having done/doing myself.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Not going to be a clean install. Completely different trunions. Rear receiver angle is also different. ANYTHING is doable, but the cost to benefit on this one is pretty over balanced.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not going to be a clean install. Completely different trunions. Rear receiver angle is also different. ANYTHING is doable, but the cost to benefit on this one is pretty over balanced.
View Quote

I don't care about the angle. It'll be pretty easy to shim that up (as far as looks). Are you suggesting it might affect function (which I agree is completely possible)

It's a pistol, so the underfolder trunnion is virgin and only 3 small rivet holes to have welded up.

ETA: If it isn't possible, I can either sell the Zhukov or buy a Draco...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
And I'm not being onery. If it won't work, it won't work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the Manticore setup for M92's OP, just got my optic topcover in for it, awesome handguard/optic solution.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Try the Manticore setup for M92's OP, just got my optic topcover in for it, awesome handguard/optic solution.
View Quote

I have a Manticore Triangle stock on a CNCWarrior hinge like it a lot, looking to go more toward an "FSB Alpha" clone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#8]
The draco has the correct back to work with the Magpul, a much better solution. Don't get me wrong, I'd go Magpul with my M85 in a heart beat IF it would fit correctly. As it is, with the M85/92 pistols your best bet it is the Manitcore drilled into the rear trunion directly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
R3CKL3SS at AKfiles.com has done it. The pics below are his

Looks like I'll be moving forward with this project!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]
^^^^Is nice!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The reason the price got bumped was having to weld up the rear of the receiver, the old rivets, and then drill and install the new trunion. Basically a complete rework of the receiver rear. Your are better off starting with a different gun than a M85/92.

But yeah, that IS very sexy. I looked at cutting the Magpul stock right in front of the hinge and then bolting that onto a drilled M85 trunion. Did not look feasible.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Edit: double tap.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The reason the price got bumped was having to weld up the rear of the receiver, the old rivets, and then drill and install the new trunion. Basically a complete rework of the receiver rear. Your are better off starting with a different gun than a M85/92.

But yeah, that IS very sexy. I looked at cutting the Magpul stock right in front of the hinge and then bolting that onto a drilled M85 trunion. Did not look feasible.

View Quote

No room in the safe for another gun (and I have 2 or 3 that need optics before I go buying another AK, much less Midwest handguards and associated paraphernalia)...  So, I'm probably going to have Jeff do it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell, with a Draco, I'm probably looking at some receiver surgery anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]
My Draco is off having the trunion pulled and replaced with a standard AKM one at the moment.

A Zhukov is on the list of stocks to acquire

Eta: Jim at JBI is doing the work. Shoot him an email and see if he can do a M92
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Draco is off having the trunion pulled and replaced with a standard AKM one at the moment.

A Zhukov is on the list of stocks to acquire

Eta: Jim at JBI is doing the work. Shoot him an email and see if he can do a M92
View Quote

JBI?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
JBI Armory in Sanger, TX. Jim is on point with anything AK. Wait time might be long, but he knows what he is doing.

I've got an M92 SBR that I drilled for an ACE AR stock folding adapter. Promptly pulled it off and sold it to put on a Zhukov. Picked up the new stock yesterday and looked it over pretty well. The angle is negligible; honestly I didnt even know about the rear receiver angle until after I had stamped my gun, installed the stock, then read it on a forum. The stock itself is badass btw. I have a TIG welder and love to tinker, so This will be a good project for me, just need to get a new trunnion and rivets.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
His lead time that was quoted was quite reasonable.

Of course the work I'm having done is minimal:
Drill rivets
Remove trunion
Weld holes
Install new trunion

I'm going to refinish it when it gets back so I'd say it's a pretty quick job for him once it's my turn in queue.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#20]
There is another option that might actually be cheaper.  Carefully drill out your rivets and reinstall the front trunnion, etc. in a new Nodak receiver with a fixed stock trunnion in the rear.  Then sell your M92 receiver.  There are still virgin kits out there and I'm sure one of those kit builders would rather build it on a Zastava M92 receiver.  Depending on how much work you do yourself, you'd probably break even, maybe even make some money.  Even without selling the receiver, a new receiver is probably cheaper than the work necessary to convert the original.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine is already Form 1ed SBRized. I cannot remark another receiver with the same markings and destroy the current one.

I think I'll need to sandblast the receiver before welding though. When I had it engraved, after correcting the misspelling of my city, the engraver had it ceracoated black. Which would be fine...if the ceracoater didn't do an absolute shit job. Its waaaaay too thick (some original markings are so filled in they're barely readable), theres a spot he missed on a corner, and top cover was down because the front corner is uncoated from being shielded by the cover. It's a serious bush league finishing job. I would have sent it back but they had already had my rifle for about 7 months so I said hell with it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There is another option that might actually be cheaper.  Carefully drill out your rivets and reinstall the front trunnion, etc. in a new Nodak receiver with a fixed stock trunnion in the rear.  Then sell your M92 receiver.  There are still virgin kits out there and I'm sure one of those kit builders would rather build it on a Zastava M92 receiver.  Depending on how much work you do yourself, you'd probably break even, maybe even make some money.  Even without selling the receiver, a new receiver is probably cheaper than the work necessary to convert the original.
View Quote

I emailed NODAK last night. Great minds think alike!
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mine is already Form 1ed SBRized. I cannot remark another receiver with the same markings and destroy the current one.

I think I'll need to sandblast the receiver before welding though. When I had it engraved, after correcting the misspelling of my city, the engraver had it ceracoated black. Which would be fine...if the ceracoater didn't do an absolute shit job. Its waaaaay too thick (some original markings are so filled in they're barely readable), theres a spot he missed on a corner, and top cover was down because the front corner is uncoated from being shielded by the cover. It's a serious bush league finishing job. I would have sent it back but they had already had my rifle for about 7 months so I said hell with it.
View Quote

Yuck! Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone tried this combo?

View Quote

I used a Magpul MOE for the AR15. I did this little project a few years ago and it still runs great. The Zhukov is designed for the AKM which will have a shorter top cover by 1.5inches. So you'll have a huge space, doing it with the Mloc Moe, you can dremel out what you don't need.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Stock, not hand guard, but I really like that Thorsden.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I've decided a receiver swap is the way to go. So I'll be sending my firearm and a NDS EZ-1 over to Jeff Covino for the build.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#27]
After looking mine over, I don't think mine has a 6 degree angled rear. It's pretty flat, just like other AKs. In my pics of old configuration it doesn't seem bad, even with the stock folded. An angled rear would be very obvious as the stock would be covering the top cover hinge; it looks more angled because of the cheek riser, look at the buffer tube to top of stock angle. Damn near parallel with the bore. Cheek riser is for the Leupy Deltapoint I have now but not at the time of the pic. This is a really sweet rifle.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Honestly looks 90% to me, but easy way to check is with a protractor or other tool with 90% edges (hell, the end of a ruler would work).
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Wish someone made a 5.75" cone flash hider...

Would look more authentic and I could ditch the fake can, without having to put this thing on NFA registry (it's my truck gun and I sometimes go across TX/LA border with it).

I just dropped CNCWarrior this idea via email. Hopefully something comes of it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#30]

That's how it sits now. I'll be sending it off the last week of June for the receiver swap.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I used a Magpul MOE for the AR15. I did this little project a few years ago and it still runs great. The Zhukov is designed for the AKM which will have a shorter top cover by 1.5inches. So you'll have a huge space, doing it with the Mloc Moe, you can dremel out what you don't need.

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/zeromanforlife/media/image12.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee168/zeromanforlife/image12.jpeg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone tried this combo?

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/zeromanforlife/media/image12.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee168/zeromanforlife/image12.jpeg</a>

Do you have a thread on this?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#32]
this is how it currently sits at AZArmory. Waiting on an AKM rear trunnion.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I posted elsewhere, but here's mine after I did all the mods myself. Remove old rivets, TIG weld over old holes, plum and redrill new AKM trunnion, rivet new trunnion, KG GunKote.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Jeff at AZ Armory emailed to tell me that it's ready to ship!
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#36]
got it today. Looks good. Everything seems to work.

I'll be working on attaching the stock, mounting and leveling the Midwest Industries Scope mount.

Now trying to decide how I want this thing finished. Probably Cerakote. I've really liked the pics I've seen of the rifles finished with a matte blue gray, so I might go that route. Also considering the OD green route.

Below is a shot (shamelessly stolen from WayneOne) of one of the best looking AK74s, IMO, I've ever seen.

I might have to buy/build a 74 just to clone that.  I might steal the color scheme for my M92.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Jeff Covimo at AZ Armory did a fatastic job. If you told me this firearm came from the factory like this, I would have believed you.

Now I have to decide on how I want it finished.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#38]
still can't wrap my head around the love for this stock and the work being done by some of you to get it on the M92, but cheers none the less
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll be working on attaching the stock, mounting and leveling the Midwest Industries Scope mount.

Now trying to decide how I want this thing finished. Probably Cerakote. I've really liked the pics I've seen of the rifles finished with a matte blue gray, so I might go that route. Also considering the OD green route.

Below is a shot (shamelessly stolen from WayneOne) of one of the best looking AK74s, IMO, I've ever seen.
<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/natebedair/media/Waynesak_zps6u3qnud7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/Waynesak_zps6u3qnud7.jpg</a>

I might have to buy/build a 74 just to clone that.  I might steal the color scheme for my M92.
View Quote

is that grey or did he do some sort of baby blue on there?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#40]
That's the factory finish.

See the post where I quoted you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
still can't wrap my head around the love for this stock and the work being done by some of you to get it on the M92, but cheers none the less
View Quote

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

This stock is miles better than either option I had on it before.

ETA: i really like the Manticore stock, I just wasn't thrilled with the hinge stock combo (mainly due to length). It would have been much nicer with a Stormwerkz. JMO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

A) It's magpul, therefore awesome and I must have it
2. I got to buy lots of tools and learn how to weld
d - They said it was not compatible, yes it is.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/natebedair/media/Waynesak_zps6u3qnud7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/Waynesak_zps6u3qnud7.jpg</a>

I misunderstood your post... I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#45]
bumping.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#46]
How about new Zhukov-S for Yugo (see recent Magpul catalog)?  Don't know if they have actually hit the market, or if they are a viable alternative.

I am a complete AK rookie with PAP (AR guy), but grabbed one back when they were cheap at Classic Arms.  Waiting for tax stamp; installed four-piece Bulgarian and detent from CNC Warrior, and ALG trigger.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Zhukov-S Yugo - still need a new rear trunion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a M85 with the 1.5 receiver. I installed a Yugo 1.5 trunion and I am running the Yugo Zhukov stock. It works VERY well. I just put some rivets in the front holes to fill them and drilled the two new cross ones. I left the upper rear ones as they really don't affect anything. The Yugo trunion also has a rivet through the grip lug piece, very secure.

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top