Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:41:55 PM EDT
So I have a PAP and comparing it to a buddies stock/trunnion, think the rivet may clear the serial number location. Before pulling the trigger and sending off my paperwork, would like to get a third opinion from you guys. I'm a novice when it comes to the ak, have built ARs but never in my life formed a rivet. The individual who would be doing this is saying I should be in the clear but I feel pending the size of the rivet head after being set might be the determining factor.

The eraser(in pic1) is an approximation of where the rivet will sit, even taking into account squaring off the slight angle at the rear of the receiver, as you see, it's close.
In pic 2, were I to buy the same stock/trunnion assembly, would it be in reason to weld up, and refill that hole location and move it rearward ever so slightly or even up?

My two concerns with the question of pic 2 are:
Will welding/redrilling affect the heat treated trunnion, or likely warp it?
Being this is not the top, 1 piece, rivet how much load does it take during operation or does it mostly just hold the stock on?

Sorry for the newb questions, just really want to cover everything before setting everything in motion and ending up with a parts kit in result.
Thanks for your time.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
could you leave that rivet out?

crappy place for the serial number

is there any law about re engraving it somewhere else maybe under by the mag opening
that way at least your original will still be visible maybe the last number might be deformed or hidden
but underneath will be the same complete visible number

and if thats the case maybe have a photo notarized the exact image you posted showing where the rivet would be hitting maybe a before and after photo notarized
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
could you leave that rivet out?

crappy place for the serial number

is there any law about re engraving it somewhere else maybe under by the mag opening
that way at least your original will still be visible maybe the last number might be deformed or hidden
but underneath will be the same complete visible number

and if thats the case maybe have a photo notarized the exact image you posted showing where the rivet would be hitting maybe a before and after photo notarized
View Quote

Can't touch the original serial #.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of guys just don't drill for that rivet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Since posting, have seen several who skipped that rivet, so I'll likely go that route...then again, just seen magpul has released a new ak collapsing stock  :-) so I may hold off a bit longer.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top