Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2014 3:16:25 PM EDT

I mean, jeez, it took maybe ten minutes with the hacksaw, and the front just fell the fuck off!

Really, I expected to be sawing way longer than that.

But, finally, I got up the nerve to just do it, and a few weeks after I
got the eform 1 back (and a little bit of waiting, to get all the tools
in), and it's cut, faced, and crowned to a decent standard, and ready to
go out tomorrow for some test shooting of my AK-104ish thing.

Gives me a fair bit of confidence for when my eform 1 for the Krink comes in, probably next week.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Who sells that muzzle device?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who sells that muzzle device?
View Quote
Bought it years and years ago from K-Var.  Sadly, it's got the notch for the pin in the spot for a Russian gas block, so my AK-104's muzzle device doesn't quite clock right.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you crown the muzzle ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
What crowning/facing tools did you use? I am contemplating doing it myself, but I feel that by the time I spend the money on the right tools, it will be about the same cost of sending it off to a pro to cut it...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Hacksawed to length.

Faced the muzzle to 90 degrees (flat) with the Brownell's facing tool (bought from CNC Warrior, bore pilot from Dinzag, drill adapter from Brownell's, using copious amounts of cutting oil and frequently stopping to reapply oil and clean up shavings).

Crowned with Brownell's 11 degree crowning tool (used exactly like the facing tool).

Finished off with some fine grit sanding (finger on sandpaper, worked in a small circle on the freshly cut muzzle).

Blued the end.

That's it.  I could have gone a few extra steps with steel wool and such (as illustrated on Dinzag's site), but the crowning came out pretty good.  I'd never done it before, although I did practice on the cut end of the barrel portion I cut off.

I bought the tools because I also have an SLR-104UR that I expect to receive an approved stamp for next weekish.

If you're going to do it, go slow, be careful, and it'll turn out fine.

I took it out to the desert to function check it today, ran a few magazines through it, walking up on the target as I shot to get varying distances to check for any keyholing, everything worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to know about the tools as well as I'm expecting an eForm1 for a 104UR back soon.

I played with it once and had around $100 worth of stuff I needed.  Having a pro do it wasn't much more expensive and the quality was going to be better than my first attempt would likely be.  

It makes sense if you are doing it multiple times, I suppose.

ETA - Posted as I was posting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If you ARE going to do it yourself, I do recommend getting a bit of experience on the offcut section of barrel before you try on the barrel that's still attached to the gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
That's how I did my -107ur. Took it to a local 'smith for crowning after I was done.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top