Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2014 12:00:42 PM EDT
I made a post a few days ago about the deal I got on a M92 and that I was going to add this UTG folding adapter and this is to let you all know how it works out.

First off I'm cheap and I wanted to be able to do like other are doing with folding adapters and the SB15 brace on a AK. This also had the added bonus of adding about 2-2 1/2 inches to the length of pull so I really dont think that I'll be getting the KAK tube.

Here it is installed, the sling adapter was a bitch to put on so I really didn't want to take it off. 5.56 round laying on it to show roughly total added length.

When in the folded position this ramp with the finish worn and one on the opposite lower side hold the brace in the folded position with downward spring pressure. Also, the whole assembly is made of aluminum so I could easily see this becoming pretty worn.

View from top in open posiiton

View from rear in folded posiiton. You can see the 2 slopes that hols it in the open position and the spring at the top that holds downward pressure.

Finally the the locked open position. It seems to lock up very solid and even if worn it looks to me like it would remain tight due to the gap that would let it sort of settle in deeper.

I'm not too happy about it being made of aluminium but lock up is still solid. When locked open to unlock you need to lift the brace and tube, I do this by putting my thumb on top of hinge and lift tube with my fingers, seems to work fine. The 2 contact points that hold it closed look like they would wear out with a lot of folding/unfolding. It also has a allen head screw on the underside of the female end to lock it in place, I like it there but I'm not sure how I feel about it threaded into aluminium. I still used to loctite on both ends to make sure that it stays. The castle nut that comes with it is basically junk, I think I could bend it with my fingers, but who doesn't have some laying around. Although the male end of the hinge bottoms out in the brace adapter under the grip and with the loctite I feel like it'll hold pretty good.

Overall, yes it's cheaply made, of course it is...it's UTG. What else would I be expecting for 20 bucks. But honestly for $20 I really couldn't be happier. I'm not taking this thing to war anytime soon and I'm sure you guys aren't either. I think this will do just fine for me using this to fold to make it more compact for storage and unfold at the range.

BTW: I got this pistol for free from a friend for building a few AR's for him, so far I now have $190 total in this project.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one of those Adapters on a Troy T22 Chassis for my Ruger. It didn't even last. In the open position the stock had an up to down wobble as well.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top