Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2011 4:38:04 PM EDT
It was time to swap trunions and make the mods for an underfolder since the Form 1 arrived today.

Just needs some paint before a hog hunt

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
cool
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
ccw?
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Win.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
win.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice to see a good set of balls around here.

Good job doing it yourself, and extra credit for doing it with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
My fancy gunsmithing tools are limited to a drill, some step drill bits, and a dremel but it seems to work so far.
Those Ace side folders just dont look right on the Draco's to me, had to stick with the classic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 5:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My fancy gunsmithing tools are limited to a drill, some step drill bits, and a dremel but it seems to work so far.
Those Ace side folders just dont look right on the Draco's to me, had to stick with the classic.

I'm with you... now a slant brake and you are done....
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice job. The mini Draco SBR's have started to show up. Looks great man..
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Lucky guy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
That is just damn cool.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Does the underfolder trunion interfere with the buffer?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#13]
That is just beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Well done!
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well that's just bitchin!
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you... now a slant brake and you are done....

I just wonder if there are any hand guard options out there to replace those that come standard on the mini Draco??

I just can't seem to force myself to get behind the ones that come standard..

IIRC the Mini Draco has a 7.5 inch barrel so it would seem there should be some original "Tula/Soviet/Bulgy Mod " hand guard options out there
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#17]
MI has started their preorders for the mini rails

Looks good man, I thought I might do an AR SBR build once my Draco SBR is done... but this makes me rethink it. A Draco Mini underfolder looks pretty sharp and really freaking small. Now that's a backpack gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does the underfolder trunion interfere with the buffer?

Nope, the buffer sits above the trunion on the minis.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you give me some details on the trunnion swap? Did the reciever rivet holes line up with the rivet holes on the new trunnion? Did you install the rivets with hand tools?

If I can do the trunnion swap myself this might be my next project. Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Id appreciate a explanation (and maybe some drawings and a parts list (IE what trunnion and where did you get it, and what rivets)) of the trunnion swap! If this is a DIY kind of thing for me, I am game!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#21]
doesn't midway or someone have a railed hand guard that just came out?
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Id appreciate a explanation (and maybe some drawings and a parts list (IE what trunnion and where did you get it, and what rivets)) of the trunnion swap! If this is a DIY kind of thing for me, I am game!

I bought a Romanian under folder stock and trunion off of gun broker. The Draco uses a vigin trunion which is just a underfolder trunion that didn't have the holes machined in it.
All you have to do is drill the heads off the old 2 trunion rivets, swap trunions and install new rivets. I don't have any special tools for rivets and wasn't going to buy any to just install two so what I hid was place the head of the rivet on the side of a hammer (to use the hammer as a backing bar) and then formed the other side with a regular 16oz hammer. It only took a minute and they came out looking just like the factory rivets.
The only other thing to do is drill the holes I. The receiver like the pictures show above to match the trunion. They install the stock parts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a blind rivet gun and a drill press...sounds like the addition of a underfolder will be a snap as soon as I get my stamp back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I hate you so much.

That is the next SBR on my list.

Can you please post a how-to thread on that mod?

Reliability issues?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Whenever I do mine, I'll go step by step.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Zero reliability issues with it.

Conversion steps:
1. Remove top cover, recoil spring and bolt assembly
2. Drill heads off of the two trunion rivets and use a punch to drive the old rivets out. The trunion can then be removed from the rear of the gun.
3. Slide underfolder trunion into rear of reciever until holes line up. (you can use the trunion as a simple template on each side of the reciever to mark the location of the drilled holes first)
4. Install new rivets (a cheap set of Tapco rivets will have the two you need in it). Flare the rivet with a hammer and something on the other side to support the rivet head.
5. Next is to drill the holes like the picture at the start of this thread show. I used a step drill bit to make the hole until it matched the hole size of the trunion.
6. Once the holes are drill you can look on U-tube for a video on how to install the underfolder parts.  There are several to choose from on there
7. Reassembly gun and you are ready to load ammo and fire.

You can buy a complete underfolder with trunion on gunbroker for around $60. A Tapco rivet kit is $8 to 10. The only tools you need are a hand drip, hammer, punch, and possibly a small file.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Zero reliability issues with it.

Conversion steps:
1. Remove top cover, recoil spring and bolt assembly
2. Drill heads off of the two trunion rivets and use a punch to drive the old rivets out. The trunion can then be removed from the rear of the gun.
3. Slide underfolder trunion into rear of reciever until holes line up. (you can use the trunion as a simple template on each side of the reciever to mark the location of the drilled holes first)
4. Install new rivets (a cheap set of Tapco rivets will have the two you need in it). Flare the rivet with a hammer and something on the other side to support the rivet head.
5. Next is to drill the holes like the picture at the start of this thread show. I used a step drill bit to make the hole until it matched the hole size of the trunion.
6. Once the holes are drill you can look on U-tube for a video on how to install the underfolder parts.  There are several to choose from on there
7. Reassembly gun and you are ready to load ammo and fire.

You can buy a complete underfolder with trunion on gunbroker for around $60. A Tapco rivet kit is $8 to 10. The only tools you need are a hand drip, hammer, punch, and possibly a small file.

Awesome. Now all I need to do is find a Mini for sale!

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Boner...... I was going to wait to see one before committing to building my own. My wallet hates you!!
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top