AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:33:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: T1NMAN] [#1]
Check it for your 12x1 tap:

Tap
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:58:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#2]
I'm a new Draco owner and after reading all the threads on here I'm still confused as to what I have to buy and what needs modified to fit a stock on it. Can anyone clarify exactly what parts I'll need and how to modify the receiver? I'm a visual learner and I haven't been able to find many pictures to help me. My stamp hasn't come back yet so I'm not in any hurry but the curiosity is killing me.

I want to mount a DPH skeleton on it with a side-folding mechanism.

If I'm not mistaken, all I need is an ACE stock folding mechanism, which mounts to the back of the Draco trunnion. The trunnion needs two holes drilled and tapped, but what size and threads? And then the stock simply bolts to the folding mechanism and the folding mechanism to the receiver? Do I need a receiver block or anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks so much in advance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Ace uses 10-32 bolts.  I just bought a kit that had the right drill bit packaged with the tap.  No sweat, easy job, no receiver block required.  

DanO
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:
Ace uses 10-32 bolts.  I just bought a kit that had the right drill bit packaged with the tap.  No sweat, easy job, no receiver block required.  

DanO

Thanks! Might I ask where you bought the kit?
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Lowe's I think.

DanO
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By reyesah:
so can you add a forward grip to an SBR sence its no longer a pistol?

Yes.  An SBR is a "short barreled rifle".  You're now free to put a VFG on your Draco, just like you can with your standard rifles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I'm geting ready to SBR my Draco and I had a question.  

Will it then need to be brought into 922R compliance?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Slowerthanu:

Yes.  Once it becomes a "rifle" it then falls into the 922R compliance issue.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By slyguy2000:

Originally Posted By Slowerthanu:

Yes.  Once it becomes a "rifle" it then falls into the 922R compliance issue.
Not if it's an SBR, IIRC

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:20:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: texas_yankee] [#11]
"Once you do this some loctite is needed and if you do mill a slot out for the index notch when the stock is folded it will not touch the side of the receiver and won't affect the function of the safety either." - can you please explain what you mean by ay a slot for the index notch?  I have a Draco I'd like to SBR - I like the Ace folding stock - I can get the holes drilled and tapped to mount the stock - but I don't know what you mean about the index notch - I thought that the stock mounted flush on the back of the receiver.

Thanks!

Joe
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Why do some of the Draco's have the pistol grip moved way forward instead of near the end of the receiver?  I personally don't like that look, is there something that has to be done different to have the pistol grip near the rear of the receiver?
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TxSoldier:
Why do some of the Draco's have the pistol grip moved way forward instead of near the end of the receiver?  I personally don't like that look, is there something that has to be done different to have the pistol grip near the rear of the receiver?

I'm not sure what you are referring to...  could you post pictures of the pistol grips in both positions?   Perhaps it is a simple as how a SAW type grip looks  vs how a traditional AK type grip looks.    They are both going to located by the position of the grip nut and trigger guard.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 11:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxSoldier] [#14]
Yeah hold on let me look and see if I can get the links here real quick ...............

Ok on pg 1, look at Marty 369's.  His is the very first one on the page at the top, all black.  See how far forward his pistol grip is?  Then go to page 2 and look at DeltaElite777's, the one with the camo paint job.  See how his pistol grip is almost to the very rear of the receiver?  

I wondered if there was a reason for the different locations?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Traditional AK type grip.

SAW type grip.

AR type grip.

It's just the type of grip that makes them look different.  The receivers are the same on each of these.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 1:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TxSoldier:
Yeah hold on let me look and see if I can get the links here real quick ...............

Ok on pg 1, look at Marty 369's.  His is the very first one on the page at the top, all black.  See how far forward his pistol grip is?  Then go to page 2 and look at DeltaElite777's, the one with the camo paint job.  See how his pistol grip is almost to the very rear of the receiver?  

I wondered if there was a reason for the different locations?

K98 has it right.  On mine I modified a Magpul grip extensively to get it to fit.  The grip is shifed forward because its supposed to work on an AR and it's on a AK.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, I gotcha now.  Thanks guys, appreciate it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Just when I said I had everything I wanted/needed for NFA items....I had to look at this thread !

Before I start, can someone please verify for me, what it will take to SBR a draco pistol? I've looked at several posts/boards, and some posts have conflicting information.

If I buy a draco pistol and plan on using an ace folding stock, do I need to do anything to the pistol other than drill/tap? Some people are referencing that a replacement or modification to the trunnion is needed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#19]
Originally Posted By lith:
Just when I said I had everything I wanted/needed for NFA items....I had to look at this thread !

Before I start, can someone please verify for me, what it will take to SBR a draco pistol? I've looked at several posts/boards, and some posts have conflicting information.

If I buy a draco pistol and plan on using an ace folding stock, do I need to do anything to the pistol other than drill/tap? Some people are referencing that a replacement or modification to the trunnion is needed.

For an ACE folder, just a drill/tap of the backplate of the the receiver/trunion.  It's two holes for 2 screws.  Some Draco's have underfolder trunions, some dont.  For the ACE folder, it doesnt matter which one you have..

Here's some more pistol grip pics/options.  (I already have my approved F1 in hand so no illegal AOW/SBR comments).  Pictured grips are a Hogue AK grip, Hogue AR grip w/adapter, refinished Ironwood PG.  I tried a MOE grip and didnt like it, but will try a Maid too, before it's complete.  I'll prob end up with the Ultimak lower and a "Gardner clone" or some sort of hybrid.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Porcine83] [#20]
EDITED- never mind, I found what I was looking for. Hopefully I'll join the Draco SBR ranks later this year. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Info for the Form 1. The Draco is said to be a 12.5" BBL? When I measure mine with a cleaning rod from the begining of the chamber to the end of the muzzle. I get 11.5" BBL. What are you getting as an accurate length of your draco BBL?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone have info or pics on SBR'ing the Draco with an underfolder?

I'm getting my Form 1 together now and I was just wanting to see how hard this is for a DIY'er.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ackspac:
Anyone have info or pics on SBR'ing the Draco with an underfolder?

I'm getting my Form 1 together now and I was just wanting to see how hard this is for a DIY'er.

Seconded. Looking to do and SBR Draco UF for the wife. All info if can be done from home would be great, or at the least where to take it to have the folding stock installed would be great!
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]
On Box 4a of the Form 1, Name and Manufacturer of the original Manufaturer. In the case of a Draco do you use the manufacturer or the Importer? I appreciate any information.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I just installed the VZ-58 side folder.

If anyone needs a 12x1.00 metric tap I have one.

You need to purchase a 10.5mm drill bit for the initial hole. I had one but I burnt it up trying to drill through that hardened steel, man it was tough!

You can go a little bigger but not much at all, I recommend only using a 10.5mm drill bit.

IM me and we can get a floating tool going to help some people trying to install the VZ-58 folder.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By retiredmp:

On Box 4a of the Form 1, Name and Manufacturer of the original Manufaturer. In the case of a Draco do you use the manufacturer or the Importer? I appreciate any information.

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone have an Ace LTD folding stock mechanism to add an AR15 stock? Ive been looking at these but im not really sure what all i need and how easy it will be to install. Do i need anything besides the folding mechanism for the stamped receiver? I have an AR stock already and i fugured i might as well use it. Also, my Draco has the underfolder trunion, do you know if i can use this? Lastly, is it really as easy as drilling and taping two holes????
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#28]
Originally Posted By dbish03:
Anyone have an Ace LTD folding stock mechanism to add an AR15 stock? Ive been looking at these but im not really sure what all i need and how easy it will be to install. Do i need anything besides the folding mechanism for the stamped receiver? I have an AR stock already and i fugured i might as well use it. Also, my Draco has the underfolder trunion, do you know if i can use this? Lastly, is it really as easy as drilling and taping two holes????

Both rear trunions will work fne w/the drill and tap.  Drill and tap 2 holes, that's mostly it. You will need to figure out if you want to drill/tap the 2 holes, side by side, allowing the folder to be adjusted up/down a little.  If you go this route, it can shift up/down if it's not tight enough.  If you drill the 2 holes, at an angle (1 high, and 1 low), it makes it more stable, but you lose the ability to raise/lower it.  Just something to think about...

The ACE folding mechanism also has a small 'nub/ridge" that will need to be ground down.  It's located between the 2 holes (on the left side in this pic)

Link Posted: 3/25/2011 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#29]
On the Dracos you have to make sure the front sight base is not crooked. Alot of them need tweaked. The Ace folding mechanism is
really slick and works great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Im thinking about SBRing a draco as my next project,  im new to the NFA stuff and after reading throught the FAQ link it mentioned getting your gun engraved.  Do the dracos require this, or is this for a new gun build.  Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By brunnels:

Im thinking about SBRing a draco as my next project, im new to the NFA stuff and after reading throught the FAQ link it mentioned getting your gun engraved. Do the dracos require this, or is this for a new gun build. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you are turning a pistol or rifle into an SBR you are now "manufacturing" a new firearm according to the ATF.  So, yes, you must engrave the firearm with your name, city and state that you are making it in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:

Im thinking about SBRing a draco as my next project, im new to the NFA stuff and after reading throught the FAQ link it mentioned getting your gun engraved. Do the dracos require this, or is this for a new gun build. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you are turning a pistol or rifle into an SBR you are now "manufacturing" a new firearm according to the ATF.  So, yes, you must engrave the firearm with your name, city and state that you are making it in.

Thanks, so what spot is normally best to engrave on the rifle.  And can i engrave it myself?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:

Thanks, so what spot is normally best to engrave on the rifle.  And can i engrave it myself?
To meet ATF standards you must engrave the receiver.  The size and depth of the font do matter but what those are, I'm not aware. That would be a better question to ask over in the Armory>general NFA discussion section. Tony K will answer EVERYTHING. Yes, you can engrave it yourself if you were so inclined. For my Draco SBR I am having it engraved just forward of the magwell hole.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Engraving must be min. 1/16" high and .003 deep.  Must be visible with out disassembling the firearm.

Jk
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#35]
OK yall I have a few questions that I figure yall would be able to help me with.

1) Can I mount an ACE stock directly to the rear of the Draco or do I really need the side folder mechanism? I really don't mind a fixed stock.

2) Does anybody know if 922r compliance is an issue after SBRing a Draco? If so, what parts would one swap out to bring it into compliance?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By camoman33935:
OK yall I have a few questions that I figure yall would be able to help me with.

1) Can I mount an ACE stock directly to the rear of the Draco or do I really need the side folder mechanism? I really don't mind a fixed stock.

2) Does anybody know if 922r compliance is an issue after SBRing a Draco? If so, what parts would one swap out to bring it into compliance?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

1. should be no problem.
2. 922r does still apply (some argue otherwise).  The easiest are the FCG (3 parts), stock, muzzle device and then the 6th can be the pistol grip or foregrip.  Some Draco's already have the FCG changed out with tapco parts, so then you only need 3 more..
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By scottMO:

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

1. should be no problem.
2. 922r does still apply (some argue otherwise).  The easiest are the FCG (3 parts), stock, muzzle device and then the 6th can be the pistol grip or foregrip.  Some Draco's already have the FCG changed out with tapco parts, so then you only need 3 more..

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask about the stock being able to be mounted on the rear of the reciever is that on another forum there were a few people that made the argument that the metal at the rear of the reciever was not thick/strong enough to support a load or handle recoil very well and would not last as long. Is there any truth to this?

Also, for the FCG would a Tapco G2 kit for a standard AK fit?

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By scottMO:

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

1. should be no problem.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask about the stock being able to be mounted on the rear of the reciever is that on another forum there were a few people that made the argument that the metal at the rear of the reciever was not thick/strong enough to support a load or handle recoil very well and would not last as long. Is there any truth to this?

Also, for the FCG would a Tapco G2 kit for a standard AK fit?

IDK abt the metal being to thin/not strong enough as alot of people bitch abt the rear of the receiver being very tough to drill/tap due to the thickness??  Yes, the Tapco G2 trigger group is supposed to be a drop in and that's what alot of them come with (Century changes some/all of these out)??
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#39]
where are you guys getting the vz58 stocks ? i want one for my draco but i dont know where to find one.
thanks
Luke
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got mine in the mail...time to start the paper work!

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#41]
New guy here - just wanted to say thanks for all the info here - I'm just waiting on my stamp, but already have everything ready to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SnoProG:

Got a VZ-2008. That folder stock is really well built. The only thing is the large mounting screw needs loktite to keep it solid. The paracord is something I think I would like to do. You can get the folder stock at czechpointcom in the parts section. I also have an issue with the stock whacking the side of the reciever. They fix I found is a can of black Plasti dip spray. Just mask off the area that you don't want coated and you have a nice rubberized butt stock that will bounce off the reciever when you close it....nice. You can get it at Hom Depot for seven bucks.

If you peen the end of the bolt on the VZ folder....it won't come loose.  That's how the factory does it.

JFYI.
Sean
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SeanK1ng] [#43]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
Originally Posted By swatbwana:
Ok here is my try with pics I also added a VLTOR emod rear pad minus the glass breaker. it is epoxed on and I will be using a black silicone to dress the edges where the epoxy is not uniform.

folded

Anyone have more pics of Dracos with the VZ stock folded like this?  

It seems like the angle of the VZ stock when folded is much lower than what I'd thought....is this normal or is the top of the butt pad normally 1/2" or so higher relative to the receiver when folded?

Thanks,
Sean

***EDIT**** Nevermind....googled VZ stock on Draco and found this angle to be normal. ****

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Have you tried looking at Northern Tool for a 12x1.00 tap? The one near me usually has a good selection of taps. Also, make sure you get the right drill size for the tap. If you can't find the correct size, you're better going with a drill that's a hair larger diameter than the correct tap drill, than to go with one  that's a hair smaller.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Just two questions to add, relating to SBRing a Draco-C with an underfolder.

1.  Which underfolder?  Bulgarian?  Polish?

2.  How much length, measured from the end of the receiver, does an underfolder add when unfolded?
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By shade_1313:

Just two questions to add, relating to SBRing a Draco-C with an underfolder.

1. Which underfolder? Bulgarian? Polish?

2. How much length, measured from the end of the receiver, does an underfolder add when unfolded?

Neither for me. I went with a straight up Romanian Underfolder. I got it on gunbroker for 65$. It was complete and had an extra trunion on it which I turned around and sold on the EE for another 20$ to offset my cost's.  I already have my Form1 back and I just put 30 inches for OAL and it was approved.  If the length is wrong then I'm  just going to send in a letter to the ATF and let them know about the change in length.  

As to the stock I almost went with one that had no cant to it but after asking around the general consensus was that a stock that had a cant to it vice one that did not was far better in the felt recoil department. I.E. it doesn't feel like a piece of rebar smacking your face during each trigger pull.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#47]
A couple of comments to add to various posts above:

Regarding engraving, you can engrave the frame, receiver, or barrel, per the ATF NFA Handbook.

An ACE stock can be directly mounted the the rear trunion, without the FSM.  Also, the rear trunion is hard/strong enough for the stock––if you look at it, you will see that it is a solid block of steel.  As mentioned above, people have a hard time drilling/tapping it.  I would assume that the trunion is the same quality as a rifle stock trunion.

Lastly, does anyone know where I can get an ACE push button folding stock mechanism??! I've been backordered on Midway for the last three dates that they expected them in... this is rediculous!  I've passed up the chance to order the regular folder twice, based on the expected dates, and now I'm starting to wonder if I should just go for the regular one.  I tried to order from ACE directly, and they're always out, too.  Any help finding one would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:58:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fortj3] [#48]
www.daewoorifleparts.com  has them for 60 dollars. They're listed on the "Convert DR200/300 to Pistol Grip" page.

www.stormwerkz.com has the Stormwerkz folding mechanism. I have that one on my Daewoo, with an Ace stock. I like it a lot. It's rock-solid in the open and closed positions. It's 55 dollars and Josh ships very quickly.

www.cncwarrior.com sells one for 75 dollars.

Oops, just noticed that you said it needs to be a push-button folder. Can't help ya.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#49]
A couple questions about the length of side folders:

What length ACE stock (7.5, 8.5, 9.5") are you using and what total stock length or LOP does that translate to when mounted on the folding mechanism? I want to keep my OAL as short as reasonable (it is an SBR, afterall) but don't want a stubby little stock that will be uncomfortable to use. Also, does anyone know the length/weight of the DPH stock? I can't find any specs on it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Details on attaching the VZ 58 stock, and what hardware is needed?
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top