Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2014 5:28:36 PM EDT
Last week I saw a YouTube video of someone "bump firing" a DSA RPD on a bipod.  He did not have a slide fire stock on it but actually mastered the bump fire technique.  I can't find the video anymore no matter where or how hard I search.  Anyone see the video and have a link to it???  Thinking of getting a DSA RPD shorty (16" bbl.) but only if it can be bump fired.  I take out my little SBR'd VZ61 Skorpion and bump fire it from the shoulder all the time.  It's a blast but want to get it a belt fed big brother.

Thanks,
MadDog
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can get a slide fire stock on there somehow then you may be able to. On my dsa rpd the trigger is a bit heavy and long so I don't think it would be the best candidate for bump firing though I'm not saying it can't be done. I haven't tried it either.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
On the video I saw Last week someone actually "bump fired" the DSA short 16" barreled RPD.  He "did not" have a slide fire stock on it and I would guess the cyclic rate to be about 650 rpm.  He may have done some trigger work to lighten the pull up but if you have a real heavy trigger pull even a bumpfire stock will not work very well or at all.  Like a bonehead I did not bookmark the site and now can't find it again.  He took his support hand and gripped the stock/buffer tube with thumb facing down.  It looked like he held his trigger finger straight (like you would normally bumpfiring a smaller lighter weapon) and used his support hand on the stock to push forward.  He was able to grip the stock because he used a bipod.

Wish someone had a link to the vid.

Just found a vid of someone bumpfiring an RPK with the same technique as the guy did on the RPD.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The trigger springs may be the key here as to weather or not it can be bumped with reliable success. The trigger works by a spring loaded lever with a sear spring underneath the trigger bar. I don't see a way to
reliably alter the springs tension without ruining its functionality. I also looked into the possibility of a set screw to adjust the long take up but didn't see an easy solution to that either since there is not a lot of room in the lower assembly for adding parts. I am not going to give up on it though, and maybe one of us can figure out a way to take enough of the slop out of the trigger to get it good enough to safely be able to bump fire it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sgt_Fury

Is the trigger mechanism in the RPD different then an RPK?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The mechanism is striker fired versus hammered fired. The pull length on the DSA RPD is extremely long and my Project Gun's RPD is shorter but still very long compared to any of my other firearms.

A close up of the mechanism at 3 min 15 secs in this video and then functioning at 4 mins 50 secs. I would like to see if a positive reset trigger could be created for this firearm.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sgt_Fury

Is the trigger mechanism in the RPD different then an RPK?
View Quote

Very much so. The FCG in the RPK is the same as in an AK as it is basically a long barreled AKM. The RPD is a different animal all together.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The mechanism is striker fired versus hammered fired. The pull length on the DSA RPD is extremely long and my Project Gun's RPD is shorter but still very long compared to any of my other firearms.

A close up of the mechanism at 3 min 15 secs in this video and then functioning at 4 mins 50 secs. I would like to see if a positive reset trigger could be created for this firearm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCs8HNk1ojs#t=295
View Quote

Thats a good video. I wonder if the disconector could be shortened on the dsa to lessen the take up?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Just saw a video of someone bump firing an RPD the old fashioned way, no bumpski stock, just a stiff finger.  Wasn't full auto fast but certainly faster than  pulling the trigger as fast as you can.  I would guess about 400 or 450 rpm.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the DSA RPD suffer from trigger slap?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
mine is not that hard to do either.
View Quote

Have any videos of you Bump Firing your RPD?
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#12]
A few friends are able to bump my Project Guns RPD shorty from the bipod, I can't seem to master that but they can.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

These are striker fired and there is no slap as a result.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WoW did not know they were strike fired! Thank you for the info.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I think you would have to shorten up the trigger pull considerably.  I'm using the Project Arms trigger and there's simply no way I could bump fire it.  I can't even fire it very fast.

The redneck engineer built one using an HK lower and trigger pack instead of one of the various striker fired designs.  I've had half a mind to pick up another kit and build a short one using a purpose machined AR lower as the FCG, something like you see used with the 50 BMG uppers, no mag well, etc, solely so I could put a Giessele SS3G in it.  THAT would be a fun gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to use my middle finger on the gun while riding my pointer finger along the safety. I can out pace a BAR with my middle finger set to auto. It actually feels kinds natural.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Why would you want to bump fire an RPD?  If you base your decision on whether to buy one or not you .................... well, anyways, are you talking about this video?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I think someone on the ak files posted it and IIRC said they used a loose M60 bipod.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think someone on the ak files posted it and IIRC said they used a loose M60 bipod.
View Quote

Found this thread via google.

I would be curious to see an RPD with an M60 bipod. Have a link?

I have something similar going now, and have thought of using my M60 bipod on an RPD.
Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top