AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Magpul AK Furniture (Page 7 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By suam:
Anyone know if the Zhukov stock will fold if you have a tromix or zeny charging handle extension?
View Quote

It will fold, but it will not cycle with the stock folded.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:18:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlytheTip] [#2]
I'm pissed off at Magpul about the Zhukov stock not allowing the rifle to cycle while folded, it is now relegated as my truck gun. I took an excellent quality (not my best one) AK47 variant, put their Zhukov equipment on it and it will not work as stated. Their support could not rectify the issue, so now it has been assigned the duty of residing in my truck in case a SHTF event occurs. If they would have simply manufactured the stock to be reversible this could have been avoided. Damn you Magpul!!!

ETA: I have a standard charging handle, and a single stock trunnion. The 1.6mm receiver was built by Armory USA and has no problem with any other stock.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By OnlytheTip:
I'm pissed off at Magpul about the Zhukov stock not allowing the rifle to cycle while folded, it is now relegated as my truck gun. I took an excellent quality (not my best one) AK47 variant, put their Zhukov equipment on it and it will not work as stated. Their support could not rectify the issue, so now it has been assigned the duty of residing in my truck in case a SHTF event occurs. If they would have simply manufactured the stock to be reversible this could have been avoided. Damn you Magpul!!!

ETA: I have a standard charging handle, and a single stock trunnion. The 1.6mm receiver was built by Armory USA and has no problem with any other stock.

View Quote

Pictures would be nice.

Of the 5 or so Zhukov stocks I've seen on various AK stamped rifles, all can cycle with the stock folded.
These where all standard 1mm Euro pattern AKM/AK74 variants.
None had an extended charging handle knob/attachment hence my earlier post asking if it would cycle while folded.

Possibility that your rear trunnion isn't square to the receiver causing an issue. And that would NOT be Magpuls fault.

Then again the loose tolerances that AK rifles are made to compared to an AR causing fitting of stocks and handguards on some rifles to drop-in and even a bit loose on others makes it nigh impossible for a company to a stock be a perfect fit on all AK rifles.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:16:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlytheTip] [#4]
I sent pictures to Magpul, they offered a few tips that involved modding the gun to fit their part (I'd rather mod the part to fit the gun. The problem occurs when I tighten down the internal wedge, when it's loose the stock works perfectly, but once I tighten it, the stock rises just enough to interfere with the charging handle. Everything is perfectly squared, it's not the receiver or the trunnion.

This is how it marries up when tightened down, when the wedge is loose it fits perfectly with no gap, and perfectly squared against the receiver. It's weird how the wedge makes the stock rise up just enough to interfere with the charging handle. I'd rather have the Zhukov stocks receiver block designed like any other polymer or wooden stock. The old school design is bulletproof.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you try a shim between the tang and the stock? You might be able to get it to sit just a bit lower on the receiver. Then it might clear. I accidently used a washer that spaced my previous stock down, when I put the magpul folder on. My rifle has no tang. It secures with only the front hole. Try 2 washers or make a shim that covers both holes. You might get lucky.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

FWIW I also have this issue.  The stock is just barely high enough to interfere with the standard charging handle on my WASR.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Cant tell from those pics, but how is your charging handle angled?

Looking down the muzzle, gun cleared first, is the charging handle 90° out or does it angle down slightly?

Also, have you tried the stock without the wedge?
How tight, secure is the stock without? If solid then just dont use it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Michael64:

Cant tell from those pics, but how is your charging handle angled?

Looking down the muzzle, gun cleared first, is the charging handle 90° out or does it angle down slightly?

Also, have you tried the stock without the wedge?

How tight, secure is the stock without? If solid then just dont use it.
View Quote
It's not angled.

You have to use the wedge, otherwise the stock is only being held on by a screw.

Leaving the wedge out is not going to work as that is basically the only way the stock is secured to the receiver., minus the trunnion screw.

Someone recommended putting a spacer under the tang, I will attempt that, if I can find one that will fit and not jack anything else up.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
That last stock pic looks like there is a slight gap at the top of the rear trunnion between the Zhukov and rifle and not a gap at the bottom.

That would cause the butt of the stock to rise slightly when the stock is folded, causing issues with the charging handle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Michael64:
That last stock pic looks like there is a slight gap at the top of the rear trunnion between the Zhukov and rifle and not a gap at the bottom.

That would cause the butt of the stock to rise slightly when the stock is folded, causing issues with the charging handle.
View Quote

Mine also has a gap at the top but not the bottom.  If I eliminate the gap, the charging handle clears.  I'm going to work on modifying the stock so I can stay gap-free after I tighten down the screws.  If I figure out a fix I'll post it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If all else fails you could go Romy Aims 74 style and torch the charging handle and bend it up x number of degrees. That might be a way to get those knurled Tromix Screw on knobs to clear too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By avatarhammer:
If all else fails you could go Romy Aims 74 style and torch the charging handle and bend it up x number of degrees. That might be a way to get those knurled Tromix Screw on knobs to clear too.
View Quote

Already considering doing that so I can add an extension.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Shot mine on Monday finally.  Felt great.

Saiga .223 by David Pyzik, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Got an email from magpul their now shipping the MOE stock.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]

That is sick
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By seej333:
View Quote

Midway has the black MOE stock actually in stock now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By willi3d:

Yeah looks like vendors are getting them now,  mine from DSG is in the mail now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
MOE stocks just went live on AIM's site today, 59.95 w/free shipping.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
My stamped DDI gun came in this week and my Magpul furniture came in today. The MOE hand guard set required quite a bit of fitting, the grip went on with no issues and the stock dropped right in. Gun as pictured without mag comes in at 7lbs.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:06:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: B62stew] [#21]
Originally Posted By brianm602:
My stamped DDI gun came in this week and my Magpul furniture came in today. The MOE hand guard set required quite a bit of fitting, the grip went on with no issues and the stock dropped right in. Gun as pictured without mag comes in at 7lbs.

<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/brianm602/media/Guns/20150702_152425_zpscrnbpngw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/brianm602/Guns/20150702_152425_zpscrnbpngw.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/brianm602/media/Guns/20150702_152718_zpse26g0vzv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/brianm602/Guns/20150702_152718_zpse26g0vzv.jpg</a>
View Quote

My LGS messaged me and ask me which color I wanted. Hopefully he ordered the OD Green stock and the wait won't be too long.

How is the cheek weld on the new stock?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By B62stew:

https://gameositydotcom4.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/beautiful.gif

My LGS messaged me and ask me which color I wanted. Hopefully he ordered the OD Green stock and the wait won't be too long.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By B62stew:

<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/brianm602/media/Guns/20150702_152425_zpscrnbpngw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/brianm602/Guns/20150702_152425_zpscrnbpngw.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/brianm602/media/Guns/20150702_152718_zpse26g0vzv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/brianm602/Guns/20150702_152718_zpse26g0vzv.jpg</a>

https://gameositydotcom4.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/beautiful.gif

It lines up with the irons great and didn't really notice it so I guess that's a good thing. I was a little disappointed in that it did not come with the QD socket; you have to spend an extra $10 for it.

Yeah DDI is making a beautiful AK but with the Magpul furniture on, it's stunning.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

--The MOE hand guard set required quite a bit of fitting-- I have the ddi also how much fitting are you taking about
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Just found out the hand guard needs a normal gas tube to work on a saiga. anyone know any cheap deals out there. best I found was $26.99 for used Bulgarian
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By corben556:
Just found out the hand guard needs a normal gas tube to work on a saiga. anyone know any cheap deals out there. best I found was $26.99 for used Bulgarian
View Quote

Is the extra heat shield on the gastube causing the problem? If so you might be able to find a VEPR gas tube (has no extra heat shield). Looks really clean too.

26.99 is not bad. I've seen some running 40ish.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Magpul MOE AK Stock

I finally got it today at my work. Decided to play around with it to get used to it. I am very impressed with the build, it feels very sturdy and firm. You can literally break someone's jaw with it if you decide to use this buttstock as a blunt instrument on someone. I like the compartment, the compartment lid also feel sturdy and not too fiilmsy.

The problem? While trying to attach the wedge block to the long bolt, the bolt wasn't long enough. It's only two inches long. I double-checked the installation manual and it shows that the bolt is way longer on the manual than what I have in my hand. Grrrrr!

So, I have two choices: Go to ace hardware store and get a replacement bolt or call Magpul and have them send me a replacement bolt which I know will take approximately one week before it arrives.

To be honest, I have known Magpul's reputation to be good at quality control, I'm surprised how they could let that slip!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Does your charging handle clear the stock?

Magpul needs to address the issue of the stock interfering with the operation of the normal cycling of the rifle. Some people say it isn't a problem with their AK variant, and others are experiencing the same problems I have.

Magpul, the solution is to just make the receiver insert a solid piece instead of a wedge. That would require a redesign, but it would make the stock able to fit every AK variant.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Magpul needs to address the issue of the stock interfering with the operation of the normal cycling of the rifle. Some people say it isn't a problem with their AK variant, and others are experiencing the same problems I have.

Magpul, the solution is to just make the receiver insert a solid piece instead of a wedge. That would require a redesign, but it would make the stock able to fit every AK variant.

View All Quotes

They should have made it fold to the left.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FullMetalMike:

View All Quotes

Then there would be issues with the scope rails.

The spec/quality tolerances between builds is what is causing some to have issues. Magpul can only account for so much.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ChaZ:
Magpul MOE AK Stock

I finally got it today at my work. Decided to play around with it to get used to it. I am very impressed with the build, it feels very sturdy and firm. You can literally break someone's jaw with it if you decide to use this buttstock as a blunt instrument on someone. I like the compartment, the compartment lid also feel sturdy and not too fiilmsy.

The problem? While trying to attach the wedge block to the long bolt, the bolt wasn't long enough. It's only two inches long. I double-checked the installation manual and it shows that the bolt is way longer on the manual than what I have in my hand. Grrrrr!

So, I have two choices: Go to ace hardware store and get a replacement bolt or call Magpul and have them send me a replacement bolt which I know will take approximately one week before it arrives.

To be honest, I have known Magpul's reputation to be good at quality control, I'm surprised how they could let that slip!
View Quote

I did not run into this problem. Can you measure your screw and I can tell you if it's incorrect for sure. Just seems odd.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#33]

The spec/quality tolerances between builds is what is causing some to have issues. Magpul can only account for so much.
View Quote

Yeah, I just feel like having a stock folded in front of the safety and charging handle is a bad design.  Personally, I would rather not be able to fold the stock at all because I have optics mounted rather than have the stock folded in front of the safety and charging handle.

I know folding it to the right gives you the option to have optics mounted and (probably) still be able to still operate the rifle with the stock folded, but its an AK.  It has design issues and I feel like you have to sacrifice somewhere because of those issues, and I personally feel like its a better sacrifice to not be able to fold the stock if you mount optics rather than having something getting in the way of operating the rifle, which is far more important.  Besides, if you have optics mounted to the scope rail, youre probably going to have a cheek riser on the stock, which is just going to get in the way of the charging handle anyway, right?

I dont know, I just feel like they could have put a little more thought into its design or something.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, I just feel like having a stock folded in front of the safety and charging handle is a bad design.  Personally, I would rather not be able to fold the stock at all because I have optics mounted rather than have the stock folded in front of the safety and charging handle.

I know folding it to the right gives you the option to have optics mounted and (probably) still be able to still operate the rifle with the stock folded, but its an AK.  It has design issues and I feel like you have to sacrifice somewhere because of those issues, and I personally feel like its a better sacrifice to not be able to fold the stock if you mount optics rather than having something getting in the way of operating the rifle, which is far more important.  Besides, if you have optics mounted to the scope rail, youre probably going to have a cheek riser on the stock, which is just going to get in the way of the charging handle anyway, right?

I dont know, I just feel like they could have put a little more thought into its design or something.
View All Quotes

It's a problem for your use, but people have been coming here (and to other AK boards) for ages complaining that they have to remove their optics to fold their stocks and crying out for someone, anyone, to mass produce quality right-side folding stocks for their use.  Magpul answered their call and filled a large void in the marketplace, and did so with a design that works with 90% of AKM receivers. I think they clearly put a lot of thought into the design.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

No, with the cheek riser there is no way to use the charging handle with the stock in a folded position. Without the riser its fine.

Its nice to use it with the kobra because it gives you a perfect cheek weld. However, you can't really use your irons with it either.

It does not bother me because I really don't need to operate my Vepr with the stock folded.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sittingbull:
I have the ddi also how much fitting are you taking about
View Quote

Do you own a Dremel? If so I can snap some pictures of my mods, it's not pretty but it fits and the mods are not visible once installed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#37]
The Bulgarians have/had have a right side folding AK. Milled receiver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#38]

It's a problem for your use, but people have been coming here (and to other AK boards) for ages complaining that they have to remove their optics to fold their stocks and crying out for someone, anyone, to mass produce quality right-side folding stocks for their use.  Magpul answered their call and filled a large void in the marketplace, and did so with a design that works with 90% of AKM receivers. I think they clearly put a lot of thought into the design.
View Quote

Yeah thats a good point.  I guess in those terms it makes more sense.
I tend to think of things from a pretty specific mindset.  i dont spend a ton of time on message boards and stuff, so I never really consider the marketplace as much as I think of pure functionality.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Can the Ultamak ak47 optic rail be used with the Zhukov Hand guard?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Keystone3435:
Can the Ultamak ak47 optic rail be used with the Zhukov Hand guard?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Tks Big C
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#42]

I did not run into this problem. Can you measure your screw and I can tell you if it's incorrect for sure. Just seems odd.
View All Quotes
Magpul MOE AK Stock

I did already say that it is only two inches long.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:11:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cpock] [#43]

Almost have all of the Stealth Gray Magpul furniture I want, except the MOE AKM handguard.
I got it in Black for now, until someone has Stealth Gray no longer on back order.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

The handguard will work just fine with Saiga gas tube.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Pyzik:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/udRkAJ" target="_blank">https://farm1.staticflickr.com/465/18523413874_1d1109f531_b.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pyzik:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/udRkAJ" target="_blank">https://farm1.staticflickr.com/465/18523413874_1d1109f531_b.jpg</a>

Looks good too
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By avatarhammer:
Looks good too
View Quote

Thanks.  I think it's looks better than a handguard, maybe even the ultimak.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corben556] [#47]
Is the extra heat shield on the gastube causing the problem? If so you might be able to find a VEPR gas tube (has no extra heat shield). Looks really clean too.

26.99 is not bad. I've seen some running 40ish.

Not sure , I'm just going to buy an AK gas tube. Still looks nice with out the top. I personally was not impressed with how hot the hand guard still gets with a mag dump.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Anybody put the shorter HG onto a milled AK?  Looking to put something on my SAM7SF.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Magpul MOE AK Stock

View Quote

Update:

After trying a 3-inch bolt from a hardware store, which is Philip slotted, is not possible to tighten while inside the stock. I called Magwell for a replacement bolt and it finally arrived 8 days later (approx). With hex wrench supplied by Magpul along with stock, I'm happy to announce that the installment is easy and a snap. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it.

I am very satisfied and happy with the new stock. Extra storage inside compartment along with my cleaning tool is sweet, slipped a froglube tube in it. The cheekweld is perfect for use with my red dot sight on ultimak and iron sights too. I don't need any add-ons at all.

Would I recommend it? Yes.

I will post a picture or two when I get back home.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Is the cheek weld higher, lower or the same as a factory wood stock  and or a M4 adapted with a straight tube?

Thanks.
Page / 9
Magpul AK Furniture (Page 7 of 9)
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top