Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/1/2014 7:27:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, VERY NICE!  I know the tactical AK community will thank you and enjoy the fact that you didn't leave receiver gap

how does this do with heat build up?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the front sight assembly need to be removed when installing the long bottom rail?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It'd be nice to see these actually mounted to an AK. I'm really interested in that railed gas tube.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking forward to the full review from Berz and AK Operators Union. Looks promising to me, that's for sure, most AK rails are bulky as hell.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 11:21:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#5]
This is not GD...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 11:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Can someone confirm if this will fit with an Ultimak installed?  For those of us who have the top rail already.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sublimeon24s] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jon-L:
Can someone confirm if this will fit with an Ultimak installed?  For those of us who have the top rail already.
View Quote

x2....i may entertain the bottom handguard if it works with Ultimak, but not giving up my Ultimak for it.  Also, how does the lower handguard mount? I hope not a way that throws off the rifles accuracy. Does this work with milled receivers? your ad says it does but I have read elsewhere it does not
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Will the long fit on the Arsenal 107CR?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:54:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jon-L] [#10]
Originally Posted By Sublimeon24s:

x2....i may entertain the bottom handguard if it works with Ultimak, but not giving up my Ultimak for it.  Also, how does the lower handguard mount? I hope not a way that throws off the rifles accuracy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jon-L:

x2....i may entertain the bottom handguard if it works with Ultimak, but not giving up my Ultimak for it.  Also, how does the lower handguard mount? I hope not a way that throws off the rifles accuracy

In the youtube video they link the reviewer brushes the installation lightly, has something to do with the sling mount "area"
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#11]

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#13]

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:29:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#14]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Dang, this thread seems to have gotten outside of the lines.  Tag for interest as I am also wanting to know if this will work with an Ultimak.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm definitely buying one of these in the longer version.... adding to cart as soon as they arrive.  BUT.... this thread needs MOAR PICS!
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By God_Speed:
I'm definitely buying one of these in the longer version.... adding to cart as soon as they arrive.  BUT.... this thread needs MOAR PICS!
View Quote

Pics and questions answered.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#18]
More pictures please.

Looks very nice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:35:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sublimeon24s] [#19]
So do these work or not work on a milled receiver? The site says it does, but all the write ups from SHOT show says it does not and AK operators union, who is currently testing one, says its for stamped only.  I would like to take advantage of the 4th of july promo code but unfortuantely it does not seem like you guys come back to answer questions here and you are not open the rest of the weekend the sale is going on.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Video from AK Operators Union, Local 47-74:

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I went to look for pics again on the Troy website and saw the coupon code: FOURTH (25% off) so I went ahead with an order (105.00) it charged me for ground shipping still (free?).  I'll post pics when it shows up.

Eli
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By God_Speed:
Well I went to look for pics again on the Troy website and saw the coupon code: FOURTH (25% off) so I went ahead with an order (105.00) it charged me for ground shipping still (free?).  I'll post pics when it shows up.

Eli
View Quote

please let us know what you think of it overall when you get it to, I'm interested in it
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I was really interested in that railed gas tube, until I seen the price. Hell! They want more for it than they do for the handguards. I'm thinking $149.95 has got to be a typo.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Can anyone confirm yet if the Troy lower handguard is compatible with an Ultimak gas tube?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By TheRat:

Can anyone confirm yet if the Troy lower handguard is compatible with an Ultimak gas tube?
View Quote

If you read the comments in the video that RC51 posted, they say they tried the lower with an Ultimak tube and it wouldn't fit without dremel work.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah drat. Well thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aestus] [#27]
The long AK bottom rail DOES NOT fit AK's with the Bulgarian style AK74 FSB with the larger 24mm x 1.5 threads.

The long rails cut with tight tolerances that will barely seem to let a standard 14x1mm LH smaller sized AK47 muzzle thread barrel.

I am so pissed off right now.  Nowhere on Troy's site do they warn about this and makes me think they didn't even bother to test it with AK's with the larger Bulgarian style muzzle threads or with an off the shelf Arsenal AK..  This virtually eliminates most of the standard Arsenal AK's from being able to use the long bottom rail.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow. Glad I didn't pull the trigger. I just wasn't willing to drop my $$ if Troy wasn't willing to take the time to answer questions about their products.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:20:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aestus] [#29]
I made a quick Youtube video showing the issue of AK's with the larger 24mm x 1.5 threads not being able to clear the long AK rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qv31zQjwy0
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Yea these guys dont seem to know what they are talking about in the AK world......I have gone back and forth in a few emails with one of their reps that still could not give me an answer if these fit milled receivers or not. The Troy website says they do, but the few testers running these out there say they do not, however they are using stamped receivers so I wanted to deff confirm yes or no. The last email troy wrote me was what AK was I trying to put this on, I replied an Arsenal SLR 95 and all they said was they did not know as they did not have that weapon in house. All i wanted to know was if the dam thing fit milled or not
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#31]
If I am reading Troy's website correctly, it appears that the front handguard retainer is mandatory for this rail to be mounted.  In other words, any of us with Saiga's that don't have the front handguard mount are out of luck - correct?

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tire_iron:
If I am reading Troy's website correctly, it appears that the front handguard retainer is mandatory for this rail to be mounted.  In other words, any of us with Saiga's that don't have the front handguard mount are out of luck - correct?

cheers

tire iron
View Quote

That is correct.  The handguards use the same retainer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:47:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sublimeon24s] [#33]
Originally Posted By aestus:

View All Quotes

cheers

tire iron

Does the front handguard retainer have to be modified?  Mine is just all metal with a sling loop, no hole in it for a cleaning rod. I have seen other rails that use the cleaning rod hole in the handguard retainer to mount with a screw
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Does the front handguard retainer have to be modified?  Mine is just all metal with a sling loop, no hole in it for a cleaning rod. I have seen other rails that use the cleaning rod hole in the handguard retainer to mount with a screw
View All Quotes

cheers

tire iron

No.  It uses the retainer to clamp and hold the rail.   On the opposite side of the retainer the troy rail has 2 massive allen screws that you use to torq down against the retainer after it's been locked down to add even more tension and removes all play.  Makes for a very solid mounting system.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I made a quick Youtube video showing the issue of AK's with the larger 24mm x 1.5 threads not being able to clear the long AK rail.

View Quote

Embedded it for everyone:

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Any plans for Krink/Draco length rails?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By plouffedaddy:

http://youtu.be/0Qv31zQjwy0
View All Quotes

It looks like they were trying to do as little retooling to their AR line as possible to achieve results on the AK platform, that's a huge letdown
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

OUCH

said my 5.45x39

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I have had a few back and forth emails with troy and they state they have tested the Ultimak upper with their lowers and it works without modification to either piece.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

OUCH

said my 5.45x39

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/AK/plum1_zps88cd8752.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/AK/plum1_zps88cd8752.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Derek45:

OUCH

said my 5.45x39

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/AK/plum1_zps88cd8752.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/AK/plum1_zps88cd8752.jpg</a>

it looks like you have 22mm romanian threads, it may work???
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TEMPLARKNIGHT] [#41]
I have had a few back and forth emails with troy and they state they have tested the Ultimak upper with their lowers and it works without modification to either piece.
View Quote

Really? You're not talking about the scout gas tube rail, right? A Troy engineer absolutely confirmed that the Troy bottom rail would NOT work with the Ultimak rail without modification. Also, he acknowledged that Troy could make this work with a minor tweak that he told me they were in the process of incorporating. If so, I'll grab some. Looks like a nice product. I'll batten-down-the-hatches for the Troy critics..........
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TEMPLARKNIGHT:

Really? You're not talking about the scout gas tube rail, right? A Troy engineer absolutely confirmed that the Troy bottom rail would NOT work with the Ultimak rail without modification. Also, he acknowledged that Troy could make this work with a minor tweak that he told me they were in the process of incorporating. If so, I'll grab some. Looks like a nice product. I'll batten-down-the-hatches for the Troy critics..........
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TEMPLARKNIGHT:

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Did they say how they mounted it with the ultimak?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't have an Ultimak anymore but with the Troy rail mounted (just came in) it looks like there's plenty of clearance for it.... on both sides of the gas tube.  I got the long rail and the gas tube "top rail" was out of stock so I'll just order that later after I pick out an optic (if I do).  Looking down at it with a tape measure the opening is "exactly" 1" wide/across.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Just some quick pics I took before and after installing the Troy rail, the US Palm setup was really good the way I had it setup but I really want to grab some real estate further up (local comp/shoots, etc.).

After:

The rail in front of the gas tube is lower than the sights and I'm not sure how reliable it is (depending on hand position and "repeatability") but I did a quick check and grabbed it like my AR with a JP forend to see if I could still see the sites....

Success (?):

It mounted pretty solid, when I went to adjust the screws that lock everything down they didn't really move much.  I need to take it out and use it now and I'll report back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AllyTroyIND:
If you have any questions on the AK47 rails, fit and function, contact our Tech Department at [email protected].
View Quote

There are at least a half dozen questions posed right in this thread.  Why not just answer them here???
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#48]
not gonna lie, that hand guard looks pretty awesome on the AK. Id like to see a 1000 round torture test
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Emailed Troy. Got a response pretty quickly.  Too bad the question I asked was ignored.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top