Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:01:55 PM EDT
Has anybody ever actually seen keyholing from a Tantal?  I have owned several and fired many more and have NEVER seen this. It sounds like the giant alligators in the NY sewer system story but I am interested in anyone knowing facts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not witnessed keyholing first hand, but we had one that shot something like 12 MOA from a rest. That of course was before the rear trunion came loose. It must have been built on a Friday.

I have no trouble believing the key holding stories.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have witnessed a keyholing Century Arms Tantal first hand.  Shooting a target at 20-25 yards we could see sideway bullets on paper.  Shooting at 100 yard targets, bullets were landing in a 5 foot area around the target.  You don't hear as much about it because Century realized they were idiots for using the wrong barrels (.223) and were liars for saying 5.45 was meant to tumble (do a quick search and you'll see their statement on it).  It was a real problem and is a reminder to do proper research before purchasing and the cheapest gun isn't always the best option (you pay for it when it doesn't work right).
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally owned a piece of crap Century Tantal that keyholed every single time it was shot.  Century would not replace the gun and claims that the round is suppose to tumble once it exited the barrel, which is a load of crap.  The round should only tumble once it impacted something solid like human flesh.  I could shoot the gun at a target 10 feet away and it keyholed paper.  I'm sorry, but paper won't cause a bullet to tumble like that.  I sold that gun and swore that I would never buy anything from Century ever again.  There are several people on this forum with similar experiences.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Isn't this keyholing ancient history??????
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
History but not ancient history.

Century Tantals have been good for the past 18 to 24 months.

Check out Sturmgewehr's review of the Tantal from a couple years ago. It's on YouTube under the Military Arms Channel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
These keyholing guns didn't just suddenly evaporate, so they're still in circulation and buyer beware when purchasing any Tantal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
So what was determined to be the cause and what was the resolution (if any)?  There must be some reason why they were doing that.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#8]
There's plenty of archives of it.  I said it earlier in this very thread, Century was using incorrect diameter barrels.  5.56 barrels instead of 5.45 and the bullets were not stabilized.  They released statements on the matter saying the 7N6 ammunition and other 5.45 rounds were meant to tumble (bullets are never supposed to tumble out of a gun, yes they fragment and tumble when they hit something hard).  For awhile they would take the faulty rifles back and send out another, but they had 1 year warranties from the date of manufacture not sale (guns sit on shelves in stores and people don't know when they were manufactured, so some got screwed by this).  Overall, Century used shoddy manufacturing to build cheap Tantals, lied about these practices, and didn't rectify the situation when it all came to light.  Do proper research and  test fire any used gun you plan to buy, especially when it carries the Century name.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what was determined to be the cause and what was the resolution (if any)?  There must be some reason why they were doing that.

Rob

Century contracted several different companies to make the barrels for their Tantal rifles back when they first started spitting them out.
They had planned on having a nice, high-quality barrel that was chrome lined, but after finding out how much extra it would cost to chrome line the barrels, they decided they couldn't sell them for $450 and they decided to just stick the barrels on the guns un-chromed.  
Since the barrels were set up to be chromed, and weren't, the inside diameter of the barrel was left too big resulting in many of the "it's a 5.56 barrel" claims.
No, it's not a 5.56 barrel.  It's a 5.45 barrel that was never chrome lined.  This information is straight from a Century distributor.

And yes, I had one.  It failed the bullet test, but It didn't shoot awful - it made "oval" shaped holes in the paper, but I replaced it last year with a new Green Mountain chrome-lined barrel and the groups have not only improved, but there has been NO keyholing between 25 and 250M.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one of the tumbling Tantals.  Bought it from JG Sales, they took it back and refunded my money.  I didn't have to deal with Century.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]
i have one and i dont have any out to 200yds.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought one several years ago when they first came out and I picked up some cans of surplus 52 or 53 gr and it shot pretty good groups. Then I bought a case of military clasic 70 gr bullets and it key holed bad, like one guy said ,125 yds and dirt flying up all around the target. First I thought I was getting strikes through the long muzzle brake so I removed it but same results. Switched back to surplus and everything was fine again. I assumed it was the wrong twist rate for the long 70s, but I've read it was bore dia, I've never measured mine. But I say twist rate because it shoots so well with lighter bullets. My Ohio rapid fire Bulgarian shoots the 70s ok, with no keyholes but only gets about 2.5- 3" groups at 100. Overall I like the tantal I've heated it up and it still shoots fine. When I'm done shooting surplus I strip it down and put it in the dish washer and the hot water does great. One day the wife said "oh you started dishes" and I said " no just washing me rifle" and she laughs and says yea rite, when the cycle ended I was out in the building and I could hear her when she opened the washer. %#^!#%^%#! She didn't think it was a good idea, but hey,, it worked well, a little oil and back together.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I'm done shooting surplus I strip it down and put it in the dish washer and the hot water does great. One day the wife said "oh you started dishes" and I said " no just washing me rifle" and she laughs and says yea rite, when the cycle ended I was out in the building and I could hear her when she opened the washer. %#^!#%^%#! She didn't think it was a good idea, but hey,, it worked well, a little oil and back together.

I typically just use a spray bottle with hot water and spray down the gas tube, the gas block, and down the barrel.
No need to make it any more complicated, or drawn-out than that.  Plus, it'll keep your wife happy.

People say use hot soapy water, or windex, but its the H2O which helps disolve and flush the salts.  
I know it's been stated countless times before, but I constantly see posts where people make the process harder than it needs to be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I had 2 of em.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I just found out Friday, that I have one. I've had it a while just haven't had the time to go shoot it. Took it out Friday and it was keyholed at 50 yards. So I moved up to about 10 yards just to confirm, and damn if you couldn't see the bullet outline plain as can be on the cardboard.

I guess I will be rebarreling this thing, shortly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#16]
What kind of ammo were you shooting? mine only keyholes with the heavy bullets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It shouldn't keyhole with any bullets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shouldn't keyhole with any bullets.

Agreed 100%
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Even though I didn't think Centerfire Systems would do anything about my keyholer, given I bought it a few years ago I sent them an email telling them about the problem. Look at this crazy ass response:

" Yessir, the Tantals tend to keyhole up to about 50 yards, depending on grain count. The 70 grain won’t key hole at any distance, and as far as I know, they will all have stabilized at 100 yards."

Can someone explain to me how an unstable bullet can suddenly stabilze itself at 100 yards?!?

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#20]
That sounds like the bullshit excuses that Century gave me when I tried to get them to fix my Tantal that keyholed.  By the way I no longer own anything built by Century nor will I ever say anything good about them.  Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Well on a positive note. I contacted Century's gunsmith who referred me to the customer service, who told me to call the distributor in Vermont.

I called the Vermont office and they are sending me an RMR form to fill out and send the gun in for inspection. I have hopes that they will take care of this problem. Maybe all the bad press they had in the past with this problem has changed their stance.

I will keep this thread updated.

If it matters, I am the original purchaser of this firearm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
New Tantal from centerfiresystems checked out ok out to 100 yards. No key holmjbell
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Ran the Wolf 60 gr 25-100 yards. Century build. Happy camper.

mjbell
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Century sent me a UPS prepaid mail tag via email yesterday. I boxed it up and mailed it today. They said probably be a 4-5 week turnaround time before I get my rifle back. I will keep the thread updated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
thats good to hear. i know of a few that century just flat said tough shit that is normal for 5.45 rifles

Thats really what I was expecting, sad to say, based on the reports I've heard from others. I figured though, what the hell worst case senerio I waste 5 minutes sending out an email. So far so good though. I'll report back when I get the rifle back and let everyone know if they did indeed fix it or not.

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Well after six weeks, Century tells me my keyholing Tantal "can't be fixed". I guess that means they don't have any spare barrels.

They are supposedly issuing a credit to "my distributor" Centerfire who I purchased the gun from. I am supposed to contact Centerfire once the credit is issued to find out what their "credit policy is".

I am not sure if they will give me another Tantal, store credit, or a refund, as of yet.

I will keep this updated.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#29]
If you buy ANYTHNG Century has manufactured, you must be a dumbass!  And brothers, I know because I did.  I went through the whole "hey, its normal" it's not our fault" you waited too long".....Like someone else said, I bought a new barrel, and it is all good now.  BUT--my four matching kit Tantals put together by ShootShack with the original barrels just flat out shoot better groups. At least on my Century, they hadn't tried to grind on the bolt to fix any problems.....  And Vik, Centerfire has always treated me pretty well, so I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I didn't own a Tantal, but I did own one of the Century Bulgarian 74s a few years ago. I believe I paid $399 for it. That thing keyholed terribly with all types of ammo. I was going to replace the barrel, but I ended up selling it for about what I paid for it. The guy who bought it had a press and had a replacement Bulgarian barrel on the way.

I don't mind Century products as long as they are picked out by hand. My older WASR has been great.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I talked with Century last week and they said they were issuing the credit for the keyholing gun to Centerfire systems.

I recieved a check for $529.99 in the mail this morning, which is what I paid for the gun.

I wish I would have never had these problems, but at least they paid shipping for them to look at the gun and made sure I got a check back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#33]
i have a century yugo m70b1 that key holes with projectiles over 123gr with the 122/123 gr projectiles it is very accurate ..... i bought it second hand so im pretty much stuck with it  .
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Century told me that they wouldn't honor the warranty for my Tantal. Said I waited to long to actually shoot the gun and report it. Century can kiss my rearend. I rebarreled that damn thing myself and put on a wood stock. Bastard shows true now, no tumbling.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#35]
will never do business with century after reading all this crap about tumbling bullets

very informative information - ty
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Vic, you are the only person I know who has ever got a refund on a Tantal. You ought to play the Lotto.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top