Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 7:02:26 PM EDT
I have Tapcos in most of my AKs and they've all run fine, but I was wondering if there are any long term issues with the Tapco triggers, like wear and tear. I haven't had any problems but I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of since most of the rest of Tapco's products are pretty mediocre. Thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
None. Tapco G2 triggers are probably the best single stage triggers available for AK, and are quite a bit superior to majority of OEM triggers.  While a handful of people had problems with them over the years, considering the sheer quantity of them being used, it's highly unlikely you'll run into any trouble with yours.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
And considering it is a $30 trigger set, if you do actually happen to use one to the point of excessive wear just buy another one.  Better yet, buy one just to have on-hand.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, Yeager had a recent video that created a stir (as many of his do). The best response I have read thus far is from Gunplumber/AZ Response Systems.

I have received several inquiries as to my position regarding a YouTube video on the Tapco G2 trigger group, apparently by some guy named James Yaeger (Sorry, I had never heard of him). Apparently, he posts a lot of stuff on Youtube and after several requests that I review and comment upon the video, I did, and here it is.

http://youtu.be/2LtWAyiQXB0?list=UUJimfyIOFM3Yaot_V8bFLPQ

He (the guy in the video) is an idiot who should not be analyzing trigger function, if he can't identify even identify the trigger components by name.

That being said, he is correct, the unmodified Tapco G2 is a dangerously defective design. I've been demonstrating this since they first came out.

The geometry is all wrong, and the result is, in many guns (including factory guns), an experienced shooter can get hammer follow and doubling.

In some receivers like the NDS-3, this problem is magnified, as the NDS-3 trigger hole is slightly low.

I say "experienced" shooter, because the best way to avoid it is to mash the trigger and then bounce your finger off to reset. But good trigger control will keep the disconnector from catching, which causes hammer follow.

I purchased around 500 sets for my Romy G production guns, and observed a pattern of failures. So I measured and tested several hundred G2 sets and determined the failure points. The cause is the hammer face is too short, so the bolt carrier doesn't push it back far enough in recoil. I developed a simple workaround that I now apply to all TAPCO triggers before even attempting to install them.

Lower disconnector shelf on hammer .020-.030" (Box cutter blade is .020"). A 4 degree downward angle helps. Increase disconnector engagement so the gap between the disconnector nose and the trigger claw is 80% of the hammer lobe width. ETA: With the trigger at rest, cam the hammer back. It should just miss the leading edge of the disconnector. The smaller the gap, the better. That's all.

Well, I also break the edges of the trigger face, polish off the mold lines, and bevel the engagement of the hammer claw, but that's for an improved trigger pull, not for safety.

My modifications take me about five minutes to perform. So while I would never put an unmodified TAPCO set in my gun, the corrections to the parts are simple enough for me, that I will a still accept them for customer builds. I prefer the Arsenal. While it still needs some tweaks for smooth function, it is drastically superior and well worth the few dollars more. ALL AK trigger groups may need fitting. This is a reality the manufacturers ignore. And yes, the Texas requires fitting too.

I provided this information free, but TAPCO chooses to continue blaming the user or the receiver.

I have never seen a failure of the sleeve. The part that connects the trigger to the disconnector. A slave pin is a short axle used to aid assembly of triggers that do not have the sleeve (large hole). There have also been other issues with specific runs of the G2, such as one where the disconnector spring hole was too deep. TAPCO replaced these units. I've also received defective units, such as no hole drilled, casting flaws, etc., but TAPCO replaced these units with no hassle.

Details of my trigger work are available in my AK Gunsmithing DVD and Workbook. http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/miscars/pagemiscars.shtml
View Quote

Take it or leave it.

I have G2 triggers in two of my AKs. I am good with a dremel but do not clearly understand his directions to where I would feel confident modding mine to those precise dimensions, besides simply polishing it. I always carry a backup in my range bag, AK & AR, and will continue to run them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a problem with my G2 unit sometimes doubling when I was "milking" the trigger to try for a smooth let off.
This meant I was pulling the trigger slowly until it was almost ready to drop the hammer, then pulled very slowly to try to get a better let off without jarring the rifle.
If I just pulled the trigger straight through there were no issues.

I corrected the problem by increasing the engagement of the disconnecter.  To do this I stoned the bottom-front of the disconnecter to tilt it forward and increase the engagement with the hammer.
The trigger now functions 100% no matter how slowly I pull it.

When you have one trigger unit that's being used in any number of manufacture AK's and many home built rifles you're going to have a certain number in which there will be issues.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a problem with my G2 unit sometimes doubling when I was "milking" the trigger to try for a smooth let off.
This meant I was pulling the trigger slowly until it was almost ready to drop the hammer, then pulled very slowly to try to get a better let off without jarring the rifle.
If I just pulled the trigger straight through there were no issues.

I corrected the problem by increasing the engagement of the disconnecter.  To do this I stoned the bottom-front of the disconnecter to tilt it forward and increase the engagement with the hammer.
The trigger now functions 100% no matter how slowly I pull it.

When you have one trigger unit that's being used in any number of manufacture AK's and many home built rifles you're going to have a certain number in which there will be issues.
View Quote

You've basically summed up Gunplumber's recommendation in layman's terms, which helps me figure out what I need to do. Thank you! His verbiage wasn't complicated to begin with, it's more that I overthink it.

I don't know about milking the trigger, but it sounds like you were finding that sweet-spot on the reset and that's where you were having doubling issues. Gunplumber also addressed this, for guys that focus on that sweet-spot reset, we'll have issues, but clunky peasant hands will not.  I recently had this happen to me with a Geissele trigger in one of my ARs. They took care of me though when I reported the issue.

As stated in my previous post, I have not experienced any doubling in my AKs, but would like to be proactive on the potential issue.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Tapco G2 on my Bulgarian Century Arms AK-74.  I had a problem with doubling last week when sighting in new ammo.  I was shooting off the bench, "milking" the trigger and not keeping the rifle stock secure enough in my shoulder.  Today when shooting I maintained the stock tighter to the shoulder and no problem with doubling.  I really didn't have any problem getting a decent let off.  Its a great trigger and I like it a lot.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top