Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 4:02:39 PM EDT
Gentlemen,

I need your assistance. I'm trying to reproduce the Soviet laminate orange, red, iodine look, using shellac and dyes. I have a general idea as to which dye colors to use, but I'm not certain when it comes to the shellac. I'm debating between Ruby Red, Garnet and Orange shellac. I make my own shellac using flakes and then add the dyes.

I know that there is no set standard when it comes to Cold War Soviet shellac on laminate. The "orange" laminate furniture I've seen ranges from bright orange (w/ a bit a brown), to burnt orange to more of an iodine color.

1. Which shellac flakes should I use?
2. What color dyes should I mix into the shellac?

Any tips and/or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Here are some examples of the orange look I'd like to replicate.  They come from the Tantal's website.

[/quote]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
One recipe I saw was 4 parts of iodine to 10 parts amber shellac.

I'm starting to suspect the Russians really used a lacquer.  It's faster drying, doesn't turn white if it gets wet like shellac does, and doesn't get soft from the heat of firing.

If I ever do another AK stock, I'm going to buy a can or semi-gloss brushing lacquer and figure out a compatible dye to mix with it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One recipe I saw was 4 parts of iodine to 10 parts amber shellac.

I'm starting to suspect the Russians really used a lacquer.  It's faster drying, doesn't turn white if it gets wet like shellac does, and doesn't get soft from the heat of firing.

If I ever do another AK stock, I'm going to buy a can or semi-gloss brushing lacquer and figure out a compatible dye to mix with it.

Thanks.  A couple of different guys recommend about 4 coats of iodine rubbed into the wood and then either tung oil or shellac as a top coat.  I'm gonna try it this weekend and then post pics.

Thanks!

Here's another variant of the Iodine Orange.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
While I'm waiting on the Thai Seedlac, I decided come mix Transtint "Reddish Brown" into Garnet shellac and this is what I got. The photo quality (glare) is bad.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say that's as close a match as you're going to get.

Pictures of the finished stock when it's done please.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd say that's as close a match as you're going to get.

Pictures of the finished stock when it's done please.

Thanks for the input.  I'll be sure to post pics once it's done.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, here's a set of AK-74 handguards that I just finished in my take on the Soviet Iodine look.

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]

That looks sick Sinatra.

IMO the iodine red/orange finish is without a doubt the most badass finish for the Kalashnikov - especially for the 74.

Well done!

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That looks sick Sinatra.

IMO the iodine red/orange finish is without a doubt the most badass finish for the Kalashnikov - especially for the 74.

Well done!

Thank you.  I really like this look as well.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I still would like to try this look with some ruby shellac, but so far so good.  I compared this finish with an original Soviet factory set and it my version was just a tad bit brighter.  That's an easy fix though.  Man, I love Soviet laminate and all the variations of color.  I know that the originals were done by factory workers, but they are works of art!

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I wanna see those handguards on a rifle!
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I've sold them, but the buyer said he'll post some pics once they're installed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
DELETE  
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a set I did for a member.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Somebody asked to see Sinatra's work on a rifle - keep in mind, my camera doesn't do it justice - the wood isn't as red as it appears below - it definitely has the orange iodine look in person.
This wood was finished by Sinatra in 'Soviet Iodine' (see above post). Rifle is an SGL 31-61:

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome color, a real attention getter. Sinatra please check your IM.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Awesome color, a real attention getter. Sinatra please check your IM.

IM rec'd and returned.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my SLR95 with Ironwood furniture that Sinatra completed for me in the iodine finish - I am very happy with the color, awesome work at a very fair price.

I highly recommend!

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#20]
^^
wow, that turned out amazing
might have to invest in one of those sets
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
^^

Thanks.  I really love finishing laminate furniture in those original Soviet colors.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^

Thanks. I really love finishing laminate furniture in those original Soviet colors.
Good! Because you're gonna have your hands full with my set.

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
^^

Thanks. I really love finishing laminate furniture in those original Soviet colors.
Good! Because you're gonna have your hands full with my set.

Looking forward to a good challenge!  
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top