Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Recoil spring wore out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499876/20230519_123204_jpg-2822029.JPG

Buffer after ONE range session. The gas port has to be stupid-huge.

Recoil spring wore out?

Not even close.  It also had a new Wolff extra power AK spring in it.  Installed the KNS piston today, and I should have a chance to get it out on Tuesday.  Me and a couple of old Teammates are heading out to burn some powder.  I'll report back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:39:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#2]

Not even close.  It also had a new Wolff extra power AK spring in it.  Installed the KNS piston today, and I should have a chance to get it out on Tuesday.  Me and a couple of old Teammates are heading out to burn some powder.  I'll report back.
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499876/20230519_123204_jpg-2822029.JPG

Buffer after ONE range session. The gas port has to be stupid-huge.

Recoil spring wore out?

That's nuts. I put a wolff spring in mine and recoil buffer, mine looks nothing like yours after about 100 rounds. You'd think ATI would use the same hole size for all of their barrels.

Wonder if there's someway you could figure out what size it is with different wire sizes or something down the gasblockAttachment Attached File

Those are what sizes they should be, wonder if they used #25 for the whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Something tells me that it's still going to run just fine even with maximum gas bleed-off.  Lol!
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The rifle still "ran" even with maximum gas bleed.  Still way overgassed, but now an unreliable POS.  Done with this thing and it's going back.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The rifle still "ran" even with maximum gas bleed.  Still way overgassed, but now an unreliable POS.  Done with this thing and it's going back.
View Quote

What's it doing?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Failures to feed now for some reason, and at least once where a spent casing worked its way back into the lock work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Yikes this thread made me remember why I don't buy galils and to stick to normal AKs that I at least have steel tomwork with on the rcvr!

What an ATI mess these are. Shame cause they look nice!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

ATI or JRA? I saw you had a buffer, did you add it or did it come with it?

My POS James River Armory Galil still needs to go back to them.

The only fix for the ATI Galil pistol is to re-barrel it. I'd be tempted to buy another one and have it rebarreled to 18 inches. Last I looked Tiger imports is out of Nitride Galil barrels, again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By drobs:

The only fix for the ATI Galil pistol is to re-barrel it. I'd be tempted to buy another one and have it rebarreled to 18 inches. Last I looked Tiger imports is out of Nitride Galil barrels, again.
View Quote

Did you install the kns on the Jra?  

Fun fact on the Jra it will slam fire too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

ATI.  Spoke with them this morning.  I added the buffer and a Wolff extra power spring, trying to slow down that crazy bolt carrier.  Didn't even touch it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rosta97:

My ATI did it too. Cuz the free floating firing pin. Gotta keep it clean I guess. Not sure what else to do besides get a new bolt.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#12]

ATI.  Spoke with them this morning.  I added the buffer and a Wolff extra power spring, trying to slow down that crazy bolt carrier.  Didn't even touch it.
View Quote

Their CS is pretty good. Make sure to remove your spring and buffer. Also not sure if I'd mention replacing parts or using mags other than the promag.

Their warranty card that comes with it mentions some stuff. That and when I sent mine in it looks like they swapped parts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got mine out to shoot. Only ran 4 mags through it. One failure to extract. Not sure why. It throws empties about 30 feet away. Runs with the Tapco mag and surplus mags. I may look into a KNS piston for this. Fun little gun. We'll see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]
@AZ5326X2

You get your gun back yet?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#15]
@AZ5326X2

You get your gun back yet?
View Quote

ATI has had the gun for two weeks now.  Figured it would take a bit to get it back.  No rush on my end, but I will note that I had to send a SIG 5.56 Rattler upper at the same time.  I've already gotten the Rattler back and have already shot the shit outta it to confirm its fixed...looking at you, ATI...  
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Their CS is pretty good. Make sure to remove your spring and buffer. Also not sure if I'd mention replacing parts or using mags other than the promag.

Their warranty card that comes with it mentions some stuff. That and when I sent mine in it looks like they swapped parts.
View Quote

Did you get ATI to rebarrel yours?
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#17]

Did you get ATI to rebarrel yours?
View Quote

Ha, ya. And left me with other issues. The gastube was about 1/8-1/4" too far back so I got to sand and file to get the carrier to close like it should and also cut the dust cover. I sent it back twice then just said screw it and had them send me a dust cover. And swapped out the bolt for one that fit better.

Runs great now, but the headspace/receiver was obviously complete crap.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Ha, ya. And left me with other issues. The gastube was about 1/8-1/4" too far back so I got to sand and file to get the carrier to close like it should and also cut the dust cover. I sent it back twice then just said screw it and had them send me a dust cover. And swapped out the bolt for one that fit better.

Runs great now, but the headspace/receiver was obviously complete crap.
View Quote

Crazy. That was a smart idea in theory though - having them do it. Too bad it didn't work out.

I'm happy with my ATI now but just can't recommend anyone else buy one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#21]

And Royal Tiger Imports has more barrels.

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/galilbarrel001.htm

View Quote

Ya I still have 2 from the last round. I'm a glutton for punishment and just ordered a receiver from Atlantic to mount one on. Atlantic said they haven't had issues from people with ATI receivers, so maybe the average home builder is more capable than ATIs gunsmifs. I'm thinking ATIs gas ports are already predrilled, only thing that makes sense on how bad they did mine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Ya I still have 2 from the last round. I'm a glutton for punishment and just ordered a receiver from Atlantic to mount one on. Atlantic said they haven't had issues from people with ATI receivers, so maybe the average home builder is more capable than ATIs gunsmifs. I'm thinking ATIs gas ports are already predrilled, only thing that makes sense on how bad they did mine.
View Quote

I would take what Atlantic says with a grain of salt. They're in the business of selling stuff. They also said that they didn't have any issues with IO AKs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

I would take what Atlantic says with a grain of salt. They're in the business of selling stuff. They also said that they didn't have any issues with IO AKs.
View Quote

Just picked it up. ATI stepped up their game, time will tell if it's just lipstick on a pig, but they put the S F markings where the thumb safety is and also put notches where the selector is. I did a rough fit with my barrel installed and the bolt sits pretty good. If they figured out the heat treat problem then the receiver for 360 is a steal. Has a better coating as well. The one I got is in the 5500 range, my ghetto SAR is in the low 4000.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still waiting on ATI to send mine back.  They've had it since June.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#25]
And I'm STILL waiting on these clowns.  Emailed last week for a follow-up: crickets.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
And I'm STILL waiting on these clowns.  Emailed last week for a follow-up: crickets.
View Quote

That's crazy. Report it stolen?

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#27]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
Yikes this thread made me remember why I don't buy galils and to stick to normal AKs that I at least have steel tomwork with on the rcvr!

What an ATI mess these are. Shame cause they look nice!!
View Quote
Real galil's are great (made by IWI)

These Galeos are junk.  I saw ATI at a major gun trade show around 2018 and they were showing off these ATI Galeos preproduction.  I asked the rep what kind of barrels were in them, he didn't know and went and found the owner of the company.  The owner had no idea what kind of barrels were in the gun but said "They're good they shoot dime sized groups".  I knew at that moment if no one in the company knew what kind of barrels these thing had, there is no way they know anything about what they're building.

These are garbage rods.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I watched these two videos and many more, before I purchased my ATI Galeo a month ago.  I admit that I know next to nothing about these things so maybe that is why I was impressed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJm7V-p86c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXT5G0UuZM
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
I watched these two videos and many more, before I purchased my ATI Galeo a month ago.  I admit that I know next to nothing about these things so maybe that is why I was impressed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJm7V-p86c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXT5G0UuZM
View Quote

Those are the older ARMs they sold. What I gathered is that whoever they used for materials and/or gunsmiths to build them knew what they were doing and the later SARs weren't as good. Can't remember were I was reading but people weren't too thrilled when the SARs first hit the market, guess someone in the know knew how they'd be.

You can also search online and find out the receiver serial range that people had the most problems with and what the most common problem was( headspace).

Maybe they finally fixed their issues with the SARs/receivers, or you just got a good one. Possible the ARMs were built by actual Israelis or the people who they trained at ATI, then after they left things went to trash.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#30]
A gun store about an hour north of me has a used ATI Galeo pistol for about $775.

Thinking about getting it, as a companion to my ATI Galeo 16" rifle (008xx serial range.)

Haven't fired my rifle yet, but when I was testing out a couple of surplus magazines I bought last weekend with some dummy rounds, I encountered a problem with my trigger.

I would rack the slide, but the selector switch would not go to "F," nor would it go to "S" trigger was frozen.
I took the dust cover off the top, racked the slide, and watched the hammer.
The hammer would go so far down, the claws would latch onto the the little shelf and immobilize the trigger.

I reset the hammer, to where it should be tethered when cocked, and the selector would function normally.
I reassembled the rifle, put the top cover back on.
Sometimes it would function check normally, cycle dummy rounds normally, but then the hammer would go back too far and get captured.

Is this trigger problem something that will go away once the rifle has been "broken in" by firing several hundred rounds?
Should I send it back to ATI and pay to have their gunsmith look it over?
Should I have a local gunsmith look it over and avoid the shipping and waiting?
Is it cursed by poor QC and I should just sell it and the two dozen mags I accumulated to just spare myself the frustration?

As for the pistol?: Are they all cursed, or did any reliable ones leave the factory?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JTF-B:
A gun store about an hour north of me has a used ATI Galeo pistol for about $775.

Thinking about getting it, as a companion to my ATI Galeo 16" rifle (008xx serial range.)

Haven't fired my rifle yet, but when I was testing out a couple of surplus magazines I bought last weekend with some dummy rounds, I encountered a problem with my trigger.

I would rack the slide, but the selector switch would not go to "F," nor would it go to "S" trigger was frozen.
I took the dust cover off the top, racked the slide, and watched the hammer.
The hammer would go so far down, the claws would latch onto the the little shelf and immobilize the trigger.

I reset the hammer, to where it should be tethered when cocked, and the selector would function normally.
I reassembled the rifle, put the top cover back on.
Sometimes it would function check normally, cycle dummy rounds normally, but then the hammer would go back too far and get captured.

Is this trigger problem something that will go away once the rifle has been "broken in" by firing several hundred rounds?
Should I send it back to ATI and pay to have their gunsmith look it over?
Should I have a local gunsmith look it over and avoid the shipping and waiting?
Is it cursed by poor QC and I should just sell it and the two dozen mags I accumulated to just spare myself the frustration?

As for the pistol?: Are they all cursed, or did any reliable ones leave the factory?
View Quote

Go shoot your rifle. Hand cycling doesn't show you shit. Hate to be blunt.

A barrel swap and trimming the flag on the safety fixed my ATI pistol / now rifle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Go shoot your rifle. Hand cycling doesn't show you shit. Hate to be blunt.

A barrel swap and trimming the flag on the safety fixed my ATI pistol / now rifle.
View Quote

Went to the store with the range behind it.
Bought the pistol. Brought the rifle.

Shot the pistol.
It shot correctly, feeding and cycling from both Tapco and surplus steel mags.
As this was the shortest barrel (13") I have ever fired 5.56 from, the added noise and muzzle blast was a new experience.

Shot the rifle.
It cycled rounds from both kinds of mags.
It shot a few rounds, then, the hammer stopped resetting.
Opened it up, pushed back on the disconnector, allowing the hammer to rise to the proper position.
Fired a couple of rounds, then it happened again.

Showed the malfunction to one of the store's armorers, who was acting as one of the range safety officers.
He examined it and told me the hammer would go back low enough for the back end of the hammer to be grabbed by the disconnector.
Basically, the disconnector was not allowing the hammer to re-set.  
The gunsmith thought that shaving a little bit of material off the disconnector might prevent it from binding up the hammer.

Time to talk to ATI and ask them to fix it, or should I find someone local?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Based on the other members in this thread experiences sending theirs into ATI, I'd try to find someone local to work on it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#34]
June will be ONE YEAR since I sent mine in...
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
June will be ONE YEAR since I sent mine in...
View Quote

That's insane. Are you sure they still have it in their possession?

Wonder what would happen if you reported it stolen
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Wonder what would happen if you reported it stolen
View Quote

1. He would be filing a false report...it wasn't taken in a theft, it's a civil matter.

2. If it was reported and entered as stolen, nothing would happen until the serial number was ran through NCIC for some reason...not likely to happen unless someone doing something sketchy had it in their possession and came into contact with LE. And even then, unless the recovering agency is somewhat local to you the chances of you getting it back are slim...I had a G19 stolen from me (I'm pretty sure it was an ex I had just broken up with, but couldn't prove it), I filed a stolen report with my local PD and they entered the SN# into NCIC. About 7 years later a patrol officer showed up at my door and said it had been recovered in connection with a crime somewhere in Illinois (I'm in Alabama). Both the PD and myself attempted contact with the recovering agency with no results. I'm assuming it was either destroyed after the accompanying criminal case was resolved or an officer with the recovery agency now has a free Gen3 19.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By kwb377:

1. He would be filing a false report...it wasn't taken in a theft, it's a civil matter.

2. If it was reported and entered as stolen, nothing would happen until the serial number was ran through NCIC for some reason...not likely to happen unless someone doing something sketchy had it in their possession and came into contact with LE. And even then, unless the recovering agency is somewhat local to you the chances of you getting it back are slim...I had a G19 stolen from me (I'm pretty sure it was an ex I had just broken up with, but couldn't prove it), I filed a stolen report with my local PD and they entered the SN# into NCIC. About 7 years later a patrol officer showed up at my door and said it had been recovered in connection with a crime somewhere in Illinois (I'm in Alabama). Both the PD and myself attempted contact with the recovering agency with no results. I'm assuming it was either destroyed after the accompanying criminal case was resolved or an officer with the recovery agency now has a free Gen3 19.
View Quote

Are we sure? I mailed mine off twice to them and both times took about 6 weeks round trip, and don't think I've read them taking 9 months on this forum or others. There is obviously something more going on than just them fixing it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Can anyone who has a Galeo pistol tell me what type (commercial/military) AR buffer tube/receiver extension it is threaded for?

Is there a pistol brace that both folds and collapses that will fit on this pistol?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#39]
Can anyone who has a Galeo pistol tell me what type (commercial/military) AR buffer tube/receiver extension it is threaded for?

Is there a pistol brace that both folds and collapses that will fit on this pistol?
View Quote

It's threaded for a Milspec buffer tube. Before my pistol transitioned to a rifle I had it setup like this:

Attachment Attached File

You could add an AR brace to this and have a folder:
https://www.bonesteelarms.com/product/galil-collapsible-m4-style-folding-stock/

Or put those $ toward converting it into a rifle via a barrel swap or welded on barrel extension.
https://atlanticfirearms.com/galil-sar-muzzle-brake-extension
And then use the standard surplus Galil folding stock.

I would recommend a barrel swap, unless you got one that actually feeds, fires, and ejects.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#40]

It's threaded for a Milspec buffer tube. Before my pistol transitioned to a rifle I had it setup like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/ATI_Galil_JPG-3169863.JPG

You could add an AR brace to this and have a folder:
https://www.bonesteelarms.com/product/galil-collapsible-m4-style-folding-stock/

Or put those $ toward converting it into a rifle via a barrel swap or welded on barrel extension.
https://atlanticfirearms.com/galil-sar-muzzle-brake-extension
And then use the standard surplus Galil folding stock.

I would recommend a barrel swap, unless you got one that actually feeds, fires, and ejects.
View Quote

Thank you, Drobs.

My pistol feeds, fires, and ejects just fine, but it came without a tube.
Depending upon how the brace issue is decided, I am leaning towards turning it into an SBR at 13, with something different than the issue stock, as I already have SAR.

The Bonesteel Arms looks like a winner, but the pictures of the stock make me wonder how would I attach it to the back of Galeo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Thank you, Drobs.

My pistol feeds, fires, and ejects just fine, but it came without a tube.
Depending upon how the brace issue is decided, I am leaning towards turning it into an SBR at 13, with something different than the issue stock, as I already have SAR.

The Bonesteel Arms looks like a winner, but the pictures of the stock make me wonder how would I attach it to the back of Galeo.
View Quote

I would think it attaches the same way the original / buffer tube adapter does with a pin. But agree those pics don't show the hole in the side of the block.

My ATI Galil pistol would feed, fire, eject then have a broken shell casing at the end of each magazine. Turns out the head spacing was way off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Mine shipped with the buffer tube only, no brace.  I replaced it all with the CNC Warrior folding brace.  The threaded receiver for the buffer tube is pinned into the receiver exactly like original Galil stock would be.

You drive the pin out and slide the CNC brace in.  Drill a hole, and drive the pin back in.  Very easy and nice and tight
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top