Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2017 2:05:54 PM EDT
Here in the next two weeks or so, I am planning on ordering up an IWI Galil ACE in .308 from my LGS. I was wondering if anybody here on AR15.com owns one yet, and what your opinion is of it so far?

Also, a couple of the reviews I've read stated that this rifle is pretty hard on brass. This has typically been my experience with AK or AK based actions in the past, such as dents in the side of the case or case mouth. I would like to hear any first hand experience to see if this is the case with the Galil ACE .308. I reload all of my .308 ammo, so I'd like to know what any of you are seeing. While not a deal breaker, it's something that I'll definitely consider.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
It is hard on brass, so its not the greatest rifle for a reloader. Its a decent rifle, but it does require some thought when mounting a scope on it. As long as the rings or mount are not on both the dust cover and gas tube you'll be fine. Field stripping requires a little extra caution with scopes as well, though if you a prism scope or red dot it won't matter.

The rail covers it comes with are better off being replaced, one of them will likely be a little loose. The handguard is also a little loose, and a foregrip makes it more obvious. Its also overgassed, so keep that in mind if you intend to run it suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Some comments in the AK section.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_4/92_Galil-andamp--Valmet-Discussions.html

I really don't care much for mine.  Biggest gripe is the top cover is super tight to get on and off because making it a tight fit is how they attempt to keep the zero from shifting when the cover is removed and reinstalled.  Plus, very proprietary, so there isn't much you can do with it.  Think any decent AR10 is better for many reasons.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one sitting in my safe I haven't even touched yet. I need to wring it out....

That being said, I bought mine as a Scar 17 replacement. It will (hopefully) fill the 7.62x51 SHTF rifle role for the toolbox, if it shoots 2MOA I will be happy and if it runs reliably in adverse conditions I will be happy. IWI is usually very good about fielding battle proven weapons and providing support for their products (spare parts, customer support). Aftermarket support is just beginning and won't cost a first born child to upgrade. I am cautiously optimistic, in the field of 7.62x51 rifles this one seems like a very good value.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the pistol and put a Burris fast fire 3 on it.  

Fucking awesome weapon. I have to take it outdoors now for longer ranges.  
Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top