Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/16/2014 3:54:06 PM EDT
So I took my new Galil out shooting today. The Galil is a Ohio rapid fire receiver with a IMI parts kit. It had (yes I said had) a scope rail mounted on the dust cover. This flew off after about the first 10 rounds. The bigger issueis that about every third round was a FTE. The next round did load, but a couple of those times the hammer was not re-set. Every time the casing did not eject it was mutilated pretty bad. Now I only had one type of ammo with me. Remington 55g. .223. I plan to run it tomorrow with a few different types. Although even if it runs off another type I would preffer a gun that eats anything.

Does anyone know of any simple fixes for under gassed Galil's?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The fix for it being undergassed it to drill out the gas port. I d find out what size your port is, drill it .001 and shoot it. Still undergassed drill another thou. Just gotta tune it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fix for it being undergassed it to drill out the gas port. I d find out what size your port is, drill it .001 and shoot it. Still undergassed drill another thou. Just gotta tune it.
View Quote

I thought drilling out the ports would let less gas in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the bigger the port the more gas comes in. Before you do any drilling try the different kinds of ammo. My Galil would not cycle with Tula because it's underpowered, cycled just fine with Federal 193 55gr.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, please do not drill the port. Even if different ammo does not work, search your area for a qualified IMI / IWI armorer to fix the problem.
I nearly ruined my Galil years ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not an issue anymore. The gun has some other issues, it's going back to the guy I got it from soon: feedback forum
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What ammo were you using?

Link doesnt work
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Winchester HP, Winchester soft point, Remington frangible (very low powered) and Greek milspec green tip. The link seems to be working.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Before doing anything,reach out to the seller, might be a simple fix.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If that greek M855 is the olympic stuff, its known as some of the worst ammo around.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have any ammo that is decent and designed for a 5.56 rifle?
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top