Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 4:54:01 PM EDT
I have had a requirement for a 308 rifle for quite a long time and I really like the looks of the M77. I might just keep it stock after putting in an aperture sight or sliding an optic and mount of some kind on it. But I was wondering if the M77 used the same furniture as the PAP and M70 rifles?

If I go that route I might get a manticore rail for it once it becomes available and an MFI minimalist stock to go on the rear stock adapter.

I also like the look of the vepr rifles. Should I get one of these instead of the M77 if I want to modify it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Accepts standard M70 furniture.  Receiver is slant cut, Ace makes an adapter for it.

I like the MFT Minimalist stock, use it myself on two ARs.

I am biased towards .308 Veprs, owning two of them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Both the Vepr and M77 are great rifles.  I own an M77 but would probably own a Vepr had I not missed the $499 sale a couple years back.

If you reload, the M77 has an adjustable gas system which can allow it to play nice with some custom loads.

It does not have a chrome lined bore,  which probably isn't an issue for most unless you have corrosive surplus to shoot.  Barrel is hammer forged.

I don't mind the slant cut receiver much,  I put an Ace adapter on mine.  The only thing that annoys me is the layout of the side rail.  Only a few mounts work well with the M77 Some sit too far back,  too high,  or don't secure well to the rail.  Fortunately there are some Yugo specific products coming out in the last year or so that resolve this issue.

Both the M77 and Vepr don't have a lot of mag options.  Csspecs and a couple others are supposed to be seeing M77 mags soon.  M14 mags can be modded for the M77, but I suggest doing so with quality mags e. g.  CMI. I modded some cheap M14 mags and was disappointed in the results -  thin sheet steel in these mags (US Magazine)  won't stand up to the bolt carrier engaging the BHO follower,  smashing the front of the mag into the trunnion shelf and deforming the spine.  Otherwise they fed and functioned flawlessly before the mag got beat up,  including last round BHO. .  Others who have used the quality mags as a starting point have no issues.

Mine came straight as an arrow with irons out of the box. Nothing canted,  no bad rivets,  etc. I did clean up the carrier spring channel a bit as there was some rubbing there,  and factory trigger needed some polishing work. it's a decent two stage once cleaned up.

Can't go wrong with either rifle

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both the Vepr and M77 are great rifles.  I own an M77 but would probably own a Vepr had I not missed the $499 sale a couple years back.

If you reload, the M77 has an adjustable gas system which can allow it to play nice with some custom loads.

It does not have a chrome lined bore,  which probably isn't an issue for most unless you have corrosive surplus to shoot.  Barrel is hammer forged.

I don't mind the slant cut receiver much,  I put an Ace adapter on mine.  The only thing that annoys me is the layout of the side rail.  Only a few mounts work well with the M77 Some sit too far back,  too high,  or don't secure well to the rail.  Fortunately there are some Yugo specific products coming out in the last year or so that resolve this issue.

Both the M77 and Vepr don't have a lot of mag options.  Csspecs and a couple others are supposed to be seeing M77 mags soon.  M14 mags can be modded for the M77, but I suggest doing so with quality mags e. g.  CMI. I modded some cheap M14 mags and was disappointed in the results -  thin sheet steel in these mags (US Magazine)  won't stand up to the bolt carrier engaging the BHO follower,  smashing the front of the mag into the trunnion shelf and deforming the spine.  Otherwise they fed and functioned flawlessly before the mag got beat up,  including last round BHO. .  Others who have used the quality mags as a starting point have no issues.

Mine came straight as an arrow with irons out of the box. Nothing canted,  no bad rivets,  etc. I did clean up the carrier spring channel a bit as there was some rubbing there,  and factory trigger needed some polishing work. it's a decent two stage once cleaned up.

Can't go wrong with either rifle

http://i.imgur.com/t51fqY5.jpg
View Quote

Wow, your rifle looks so elegant! I definetely think I will pick up an M77 or a vepr once my finances are back in order.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, what magazines work with an M76 chambered in .308? Would they also work in an M77?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't go wrong with either. I do not have a vepr, but will eventually get one. My friend has one and I get to shoot it often. I really enjoy my M77. It has never given me an issue.

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top