Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2015 11:33:54 AM EDT
Well I just sent out my M72 and M70 kits to Two Rivers Arms for a full build.
I got both kits from Apex with barrels, M72 has a really nice original barrel and the M70 came with a AK builders new US barrel. I also sent with them NDS-9 (M72) and NDS-5 (M70) receivers.
Both are numbers matching kits, except the M72's butt stock does not match. So I also sent a M72 NOS stock set (unnumbered) that I got from R-Guns and TRA is going to match the number to it.
They will also be adding the correct looking notches and selector markings and hot bluing both.
I opted for a like new finish on the M72 since it was basically in unissued condition when de milled.
The M70 saw use and I like it's "been there" wood so I opted for a battle field pickup finish on it to match the wood after reblueing.
No idea how long before I see them again, I'm guessing this summer.
I'll post the results when I get them back.

----------------------------------------------------
Update;
I received the M70B1 today. Couldn't be happier. Everything looks super. Fit and finish could not be better IMO. TRA did a great job, everything is straight, bluing looks great, engraving and the selector letters and notches looks nice.
This was a numbers matching kit, including the stock. TRA matched the original serial to the side of the receiver. The trunion was blank, so the kit's receiver stub has a "B" serial on the right, which they matched on the NDS. Though of course the "real" serial is on the bottom of the NDS receiver. If the bluing it looks a little blotchy in some places it's due to the oil I put on it.

One thing I thought was cool too is TRA put their build info in small print in the front of the trigger. This is nice IMO so that someday if I sell this the buyer can see it was built by one of the top notch AK builders. Pic turned out blurry, but you can still make it out:

I asked for a "battlefield pick up" patina and asked them to try to match to what the kit's blued parts and wood had. They wore it slightly after finishing it, mostly the rivets and a few high spots. A little more wear would have been even more cool IMO, but it matches the kit's top cover which had minimal wear, so all and all it's a good match for what the gun likely looked like before it was de milled. I could always scotch bright pad it some more, but I think I'll leave it as is.

This kit lacked some of the cool trench art we see on many of the Yugo firearms, but one thing it does have is what I believe to be a field modification to the cheek area of the butt stock by who ever was issued it. The left side of the stock has been shaved and has the sharp corner Yugo's are noted for is rounded off. I don't think it would simply wear down here, the corner is definitely more rounded than the other Yugo stocks I have. Compared to the right side you can see what I mean in the pic. It feels nicer this way, so who ever did it must have been a shooter. Notice the left corner is gone next to the rear trunion:

-----------------------
Update #2
This week I received the M72B1 back from Two Rivers.
TRA did an aweome job on it. This was a really nice kit I got from Apex, it's stock still had a paper tag/rack number taped to it, I thought it was kinda cool so I saved it and put it back on after the restoration. Best I can translate the rack tag, it belonged to a Karlovac Military Police battalion.

Unlike the M70 which was left with it's battle scars and done in a light battle field pick up finish, this one was finished to look new again being that it had very little wear on the kit when I got it. The barrel is an original Yugo RPK barrel that has little wear.
Besides building the kit and testing it along with rebluing TRA put the correct selector markings and indents on the NDS-9 receiver. Seems the serial numbers on Yugo AK's when new were "in white" stamped after the bluing process, whereas rearsenaled guns where reblued over the serials (dark). TRA gave me the option so I chose for them to be like they were when new, unlike the M70 which the serials are dark.
The M72 kit was matching numbers except the buttstock, so I bought a virgin NOS stock set from R-guns that was blank. TRA was able to match the gun's serial to the new stock.
TRA was great to deal with BTW, the results were worth the wait.

All that said, I highly recommend TRA for their build services.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Good choice going with Two Rivers, their work is top notch, especially with Yugos.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My OPap will arrive back from 2rivers Thurs! If it looks good im sending them my M92 and npap underfolder
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Two Rivers is good to go.
Tim, Sean, and the rest of the guys do great work.You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking forward to the results. What's the turn around time like?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good choice going with Two Rivers, their work is top notch, especially with Yugos.
View Quote

This.
They did amazing work on my M-64. Plan on having them refinish my other Yugos in the near future
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Looking forward to the results. What's the turn around time like?
View Quote
They gave me a turn around time of 2-3 months. Probably all depends on their back log. I'm ok with waiting so if it takes longer its cool with me (gives me time to collect accessories and save up). I've read their re welds take the longest. These are pretty straight builds though being stamped kits.

I was impressed with their work I've seen.

They seem like pretty good guys, with good communication so far.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
No one can beat TRA on a custom build. It's definately worth the wait.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I love living 4 mins from two rivers arms.  I'll try not to slow down your builds by hanging around the shop too much.  

Your rifles are in great hands.  You will be pleased.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My OPap is back. Quoted 3 mos ended up being 5. Was worth the wait.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150327_184715_zpslg7xvgnl.jpg
View Quote

Looks damn good.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150327_184715_zpslg7xvgnl.jpg
View Quote
That turned out very nice. I like the wood.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s91.photobucket.com/user/Insaneauto86/media/20150327_184715_zpslg7xvgnl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150327_184715_zpslg7xvgnl.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'm going to have them do the same thing. Looks great!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I will  be watching this thread!! Please keep us updated about any word about your builds as you correspond with TRA and post lots of pictures when you get them back!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Update: TRA's called me today. Asked me about the finish on the M70, the builder wanted to confirm I wanted the BFP finish after it was hot blued. Said both the M70 and the M72 was built and tested fired and shot well. Next was the finishing. He said they should be done by late May. We talked about some other stuff too. Nice guy BTW. I told him to take his time, no hurry.

It's cool they are staying in touch and confirming options.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Whats a BFP finish? I didn't see anything about it on their website.

I'm getting ready to send them my OPAP too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Whats a BFP finish? I didn't see anything about it on their website.
I'm getting ready to send them my OPAP too.
View Quote
The M70 kit I sent them I wanted to have a battle field pick up finish. My Apex M70 kit was a good condition #'s matching kit, and had a "been there look" being that it was a veteran of the Yugo civil war.
I wanted to keep it's "patina". So I asked them for the hot blued finish, then do a worn finish over that on the metal to match the wear on the wood stock. I've looked at some of the other finishes they did like this and they looked really good to me.
The M72 RPK kit on the other hand had a paper Croatian police tag still on the stock and looked like it was unused when it was de milled. So that one I wanted finished to look brand new, just as it too was before it got torched.
TRA can finish it however you like. I was torn and almost went with a "new" finish on the M70, I almost bought a new stock set for it, but in the end I decided to reuse the kits matching #'s wood, but thought that might look odd with a new metal finish combined.
We'll have to wait and see if it was the right move, but judging by some of the BFPU finishes I've seen them do on AK's on another board I think it should look cool.
What ever you decide, I think you will be happy with their work.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Update: TRA's called me today. Asked me about the finish on the M70, the builder wanted to confirm I wanted the BFP finish after it was hot blued. Said both the M70 and the M72 was built and tested fired and shot well. Next was the finishing. He said they should be done by late May. We talked about some other stuff too. Nice guy BTW. I told him to take his time, no hurry.

It's cool they are staying in touch and confirming options.

View Quote

It's past late May......Did you get them back yet?

Someone on this forum or another forum posted pictures of a O-pap that TRA did for them, They did his O-pap using a M72 finned barrel cut down to 16". It was the nicest AK I ever seen!!!! I thought I saved the picture but I can't find it.

TRA is going to do the same thing to my O-pap. Fuck the pictures anyways, I rather shoot Coyotes with it instead of looking at someone else's pictures. Wish GM made a finned 7.62x51 barrel for my M77.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Another one back from Two RIvers - NPapDF

Modifications done:

-replace rear sight base with Yugo marked
-replace front sight base with tritium night sight base
-replace rear sight leaf with tritium leaf
-replace gas block with grenade gas block
-weld "safe/fire", engrave "URJ", cold blue to match
-replace BHO underfolder selector with M70 underfolder selector

I have about $900 into this gun. I also paracord wrapped the underfolder bar in OD.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got a call from TRA, had a long conversation with the builder. Super nice folks to talk to BTW. The M70 is done and he gave me a UPS tracking #. Should be getting it Fri unless UPS screws up.

The M72 RPK is almost done and is at the engravers getting the final touches before the finishing. It should be done next week.

I'm stoked ... I'll post an update when I get them.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Just 3.5 months. Thats not too bad.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#21]
UPS tracking just up'ed the delivery date to Monday now . Course I figured that might happen. Oh well a few more days won't matter.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Another one back from Two RIvers - NPapDF

Modifications done:

-replace rear sight base with Yugo marked

-replace front sight base with tritium night sight base

-replace rear sight leaf with tritium leaf

-replace gas block with grenade gas block

-weld "safe/fire", engrave "URJ", cold blue to match

-replace BHO underfolder selector with M70 underfolder selector

I have about $900 into this gun. I also paracord wrapped the underfolder bar in OD.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150602_122316_zpsqxog1t9w.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150602_122410_zpstto96fk9.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150602_122609_zpsibeg18zt.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150602_122508_zpsoltevtux.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150602_122426_zpslbwcfksx.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150602_122443_zpsvhqldpfw.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/Insaneauto86/20150602_122436_zpsxnyunxba.jpg
View Quote
Man that turned out nice

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Yugos looks nice. You are right buttstock was in Croatia in Police. Not MP but regular civil police. Back old yugo even police had AK just in case something big broke up. Mostly UF. This butctock/rifle was non issued and stayed in reserve. That it what Neformacijsko mean. I had a few of those buttstocks but i didnt keep tag. Nice wood because it didnt see much fighting. I hope i didnt rain on your parade
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yugos looks nice. You are right buttstock was in Croatia in Police. Not MP but regular civil police. Back old yugo even police had AK just in case something big broke up. Mostly UF. This butctock/rifle was non issued and stayed in reserve. That it what Neformacijsko mean. I had a few of those buttstocks but i didnt keep tag. Nice wood because it didnt see much fighting. I hope i didnt rain on your parade
View Quote
Pretty much confirms what I thought. Thanks for the info. Best I could translate I figured it was police, the fact that you say Neformacijsko means non issued explains it's like new condition. Glad we were able to preserve that.

Got both the guns zeroed BTW, both run really good and are the most accurate of my 6 AK's. TRA had them really close too, didn't need much adjustment.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that stock wood on the OPAP? What finish do they use?
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top