Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2015 8:42:38 PM EDT
Just bought my first AK and I chose the N-PAP. I have always been an AR and VZ guy. And have never regretted either one. But I really wanted another 7.62x39 gun and the AK seemed the best choice. If the SHTF, I would feel more secure having an AK due to availability of mags and parts and all that.

So I boiled down my choices to a WASR or an N-PAP. Had some guys on the AK discussion board steer me away from the I.O. guns. So I went with the Serbian. I met a Serbian girl once that was one of the most beautiful girls I ever saw. Not sure if that should have been the deciding factor, but it worked for me, lol.

So here's what I need to know: What do I need to know? Are there any gremlins I need to be aware of? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Krebs or other brand retaining plate and throw away the spring that holds FCG pins in place.  If the stock has the high crown on it like most Yugos - sand it down to save your face.  Get an AK site adjustment tool to zero the rifle or borrow one from a friend.  Get a RS Regulate mount and throw a MRD if you have a side rail.  Shoot it and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I met a Serbian girl once that was one of the most beautiful girls I ever saw. Not sure if that should have been the deciding factor, but it worked for me, lol.
View Quote

Well, I would have done the same as you. :)
Anyway, here in Serbia people are selling houses because of our girls, so you are good. :)

Nice purchase. Hope it serves you well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt comment anything on serbian girls since i know them much, you will figure out lol
I found out power custom/red star retaining plate work better than krebs one because you get 180° lock. And that what im using on all my yugos and every other AKs except Saiga 12. For Saiga 12 im using Krebs, CSS one will work since its same design.
For side rail on PAP/M77 im using MI side mount and i have tested Chinese M47 side mout wich is MI copy and works good. TWS dog leg for Yugos/Zastava works good too. With Bushnell TRS-25 and TWS notch sight you can 1/3 cowitness. Do some reprofiling/polishing on hammer, polish carrier where touches hammer. If you like original look than slant MB/barrel protector will work. If not Tapco 74 style MB good for recoil/muzzle raise
If you need extra LOP get UTG Deluxe Combat Style SKS Butt Pad 1" from amazon and you can use your butt plate screws to tighten down. Dont get 2" its different design. Dont use recoil buffers. It wil FTF and rear trunnion wont be demaged since its tested in our balcan wars lol
For pistol grip im using Hogue. Ergo and some other PG wont fit because of different PG nut angle than standard AKs
Yugo/Zastava will take just about every mag/drum and its gonna be tight mag well fit no woble
Good luck
Sorry for my bad english grammar and tiping on cell keyboard i think you will undarstand
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Double post
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on the NPAP- it's a terrific rifle. No gremlins to speak of, but you may experience some cheek slap due to the stock's high comb. Not everyone experiences it (depends on how you shoulder the rifle) and there are ways to work around it if you do. Be aware when buying certain parts that you may need to seek out yugo-specific items.

Before firing your rifle, make sure to clean it thoroughly as there will likely be metal shavings hiding somewhere (even if you don't see them) from when Century opened-up the mag well. You may also want to spend some time working the safety and gas-tube lever as they'll be very tight. If they don't loosen up, you can gently run a metal file along the nub on the underside of each to take a small amount of material off. Be conservative. I wouldn't start messing with the trigger unless you find a problem with yours. The G2 trigger works very well out of the box so most don't need polishing.

Since this is your first AK, you'll get a crash course in surplus mags. There is a great deal of variance between milsurp mags even though they're all "in spec." Some may be tight in your rifle, some may be loose. That's not an issue, that's just the way it is. Tighter mags may require some light filing to fit, but remember: file the magazine, not the rifle!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on the NPAP- it's a terrific rifle. No gremlins to speak of, but you may experience some cheek slap due to the stock's high comb. Not everyone experiences it (depends on how you shoulder the rifle) and there are ways to work around it if you do. Be aware when buying certain parts that you may need to seek out yugo-specific items.

Before firing your rifle, make sure to clean it thoroughly as there will likely be metal shavings hiding somewhere (even if you don't see them) from when Century opened-up the mag well. You may also want to spend some time working the safety and gas-tube lever as they'll be very tight. If they don't loosen up, you can gently run a metal file along the nub on the underside of each to take a small amount of material off. Be conservative. I wouldn't start messing with the trigger unless you find a problem with yours. The G2 trigger works very well out of the box so most don't need polishing.

Since this is your first AK, you'll get a crash course in surplus mags. There is a great deal of variance between milsurp mags even though they're all "in spec." Some may be tight in your rifle, some may be loose. That's not an issue, that's just the way it is. Tighter mags may require some light filing to fit, but remember: file the magazine, not the rifle!
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. I do have a question. For the most part I plan on keeping it stock. However I want to pick up a side mount. The one I want is here: https://www.primaryarms.com/UTG_PRO_Quick_detachable_AK_Side_Mount_p/mtu016.htm

Would I run into any problems with this? Will it be too high? Will it fit the side rail that comes on the N-PAP?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Well it came in today. Picked it up at my FFl and brought it home. Haven't fired it yet but have taken it apart and checked it all out. Very nice rifle. The stock is very thick, much thicker than any I've seen. This might sound strange, but its really too nice. I like an AK to be rough and rugged. This one is a little too nice. Maybe I need to drag it down the road behind my truck or something, give it that AK look.

The gas tube lever is virtually impossible to move. I'll need to work on that. The safety is tight but easy to move, it should break in nicely. The action is tight but smooth. All the internals are nice and sparkly new.

The only issue I have is the surplus mag it came with. I have never seen such a rough and used mag. I'm thinking it has seen action in virtually every theater of war in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, lol. The stories it could tell. The down side is its pretty much worn out and unusable. They did include a tapco and I bought a few pmags at my FFL so I'm good on mags.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Crazy thing i do every time i get new rifle, handgun. Load about 2 mags and go to the indoor shooting range and dump mags as fast i can. If no issues than its ok lol
Guys at range ask me every time. Is it new one
Yes
Oh boy. Everyone get ear plugs lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well it came in today. Picked it up at my FFl and brought it home. Haven't fired it yet but have taken it apart and checked it all out. Very nice rifle. The stock is very thick, much thicker than any I've seen. This might sound strange, but its really too nice. I like an AK to be rough and rugged. This one is a little too nice. Maybe I need to drag it down the road behind my truck or something, give it that AK look.

The gas tube lever is virtually impossible to move. I'll need to work on that. The safety is tight but easy to move, it should break in nicely. The action is tight but smooth. All the internals are nice and sparkly new.

The only issue I have is the surplus mag it came with. I have never seen such a rough and used mag. I'm thinking it has seen action in virtually every theater of war in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, lol. The stories it could tell. The down side is its pretty much worn out and unusable. They did include a tapco and I bought a few pmags at my FFL so I'm good on mags.
View Quote

Load that surplus mag and try it out. You'll probably add a few more stories to it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crazy thing i do every time i get new rifle, handgun. Load about 2 mags and go to the indoor shooting range and dump mags as fast i can. If no issues than its ok lol
Guys at range ask me every time. Is it new one
Yes
Oh boy. Everyone get ear plugs lol
View Quote

Haven't fired it yet and wont be able to for at least another 10 days. I thought about taking it to the indoor range yesterday, but they wont let me shoot tula. They make you buy their over priced brass But I have been cycling rounds through it to see if there are any ejection or feeding issues. Runs like a sowing machine so far.

I am thinking about going with the ACE skeleton folding stock. Anyone use one? How long did you get/how tall are you? I THINK I would need the 9.5". I am 6'-1'.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top