Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 5:01:36 PM EDT
Some AK's Ive had in the past seem to be less noticeable in this area than others. The NPAP I have now seems to have a trigger that sits up high enough when reset, that the bottom of the carrier will catch it more than seems ive noticed with others.  This is also the case on the forward motion, but especially on the rearward cycle.  They have a Tapco trigger, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I know I know.... just shoot it.

Its been to the range a few times and functions 100%.  Just wondering if there was a trigger replacement that would make cycling a little smoother.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers.  My M92 bolt hits the hammer hard on the forward stroke almost enough to sieze it half way through.  Shoots great, no malfunctions,  just real clunky when you charge it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
My M70ab2t does the same. when I charge it, the bolt will hold itself open at the trigger group. I just figured it was a Century issue. Functions fine but I would like to solve it. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Most AK's that I have ever seen all do that when dry (no lube) and new. When hammer spring is new and strong it exerts a lot of force on the hammer. The hammer has a long angle on the front which is easily over ridden by the bolt on the way back, but the other side of the hammer has a lot shorter and sharper angle which is harder to over ride when the bolt moves back forward with not as much run or speed when it hits it going back into battery. When you charge by hand slowly, you invite a possible bolt stoppage which is really generated by you, not the gun. Run a little gun grease on the bottom of the bolt if it bothers you and it will slick it up some, or just shoot it the way it was intended to cycle and these parts will all wear in better. There is nothing wrong with the hammer or the bolt. You are just slowing down an action that is intended to be a lot more violent (if you will).
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a Century M70AB2 that does this, too.  I wasn't too concerned as I assumed it just needed breaking in and/or cleaning.  In addition to the good info posted already, another suggestion I found for smoothing the action a bit was to polish the face of the hammer and underside of the bolt carrier where the two contact each other. Then apply a light layer of grease upon reassembly.

....and its a good thing that I disassembled the action just to take a peak at this issue a little closer. After looking into the chamber I could see something lodged in other about 3/4" deep. It turned out to be the stem portion of the extremely mangled chamber flag that shipped with the rifle!  I'm so glad I didn't just chamber a round and fire it when I got it home as I am sure the round would have just pushed the stem into the barrel ahead of the bullet. Learned a good lesson yesterday - ALWAYS fully inspect a new rifle before firing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I always run a cleaning rod down a new gun for just this reason.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top